Suspension, Steering and Brakes Muted Intermittent Knocking on Nearside Front Suspension

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by John Dickson, Wednesday 23rd Jan, 2013.

1. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for posting this CJ. It's got me wondering has this been known to occur on the 8th Generation Accord? I'm not entirely convinced there is a problem but mine seems to sometimes display the symptoms described above when travelling slowly over uneven surfaces; higher speeds not the case. It seems to be coming from the nearside front of the vehicle.

The dealer has looked a couple of times and test driven it but typically it wouldn't do it when they were driving it! They've gone over it with a fine tooth comb - checked the drop links, no sign of cracked bushings etc.

It's not eating tyres or pulling to the left and handles as well as it always has done so don't think there is anything more major wrong.

Cheers! :Thumbup:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you are getting that on a 8th Generation first thing you want to check is the drop links as they have an annoying knock at a low speed.

Pretty confident it will be them.

3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks CJ.

They looked last summer as that's what they suspected from my desciription of the problem they thought the drop links might have broken but after they looked they said the drop links weren't broken. It's passed MOT (November) since then and they had another good look while it was on the ramp for MOT but found nothing untoward.

This is where my lack of knowledge shows - can the drop links be noisy without being broken (do they physically snap or just wear out - the roads are shocking state around here in a lot of places?) If I recall the Honda Happiness service price list correctly drop links aren't that expensive :Unknown:if not I might just ask them to change them anyway.

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry probably should have posted my question in 8th Generation section but wasn't sure how to cross reference.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    John, you can cross reference simple by pasting the URL of the page you want to reference

So for example if I paste the URL of this page here http://hondakarma.com/posts/28588/ the forum software will make it look nice by creating a link for with the page title as text.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is an intermittent issue I have on my 2009 2.0iVTEC EX saloon. Just wondered if anyone else had this problem so thought I'd link it for information.

http://hondakarma.com/posts/28588/

Not quite the same cause even though the symptoms sound very similar.

Cheers,

John :Thumbup:

6. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks SpeedyGee.

I've cross referenced it in 8th Generation Accord Section.

Cheers.

7. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    Is the knocking apparent with the wheels straight only or do you feel the corner with the issue creating feedback through the wheel when loading the suspension on that corner whilst turning.
    This would be best to wait till the roads clear up.
    My 2peneth worth would be drop links if wheels are straight and poss wishbone bushes if wheels are turned.
    Can the bushes be replaced with the aid of a local engineering unit/shed/guy with facial hair, a love of real ale and a decent press?

8. saleem Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had the same problem with my car a couple of months ago my mechanic couldn't find any play anywhere. He advised me to let it get a bit worse. Turned out to be the top wishbone balljoints. I had both sides changed yesterday. Not cheap though, nearly £200 a corner just for the parts

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Saleem how many miles has your car done?

10. saleem Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

155000 miles, its a taxi mate!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    wow that is impressive ! for an I-DTEC do tell us more any failures along the way clutch etc

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Also Saleem, how often do you get the oil changed ?

Is it as per the Honda schedule or more regularly ?

Last edited: Thursday 24th Jan, 2013
  13. saleem Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I used to have the oil changed around 8-9000 mile mark but I have reduced it now to every 6000 miles

Ichiban likes this.
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good man, that's the best way to look after the engine.

15. saleem Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

EGR pipe at 135000, front & rear antiroll bar d bushes, DPF at 98000, top wishbones yesterday& it needs a new DMF but I think I can squeeze a few more miles out of that yet! Apart from the DPF issues that I'm sure your aware of it's a great car.

Ichiban likes this.
  16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the replies jaywood and saleem. :Thumbup:

I'm certain the knocking is only apparent with the wheels straight. I've had a bit of a test drive there tonight on full lock on mini-roundabouts and made use of Morrisons empty car park doing full turns in both directions on full lock or as near to full lock as i could get. When turning there doesn't seem to be anything untoward certainly no feedback that I can detect through the wheel.

When going straight on uneven road surfaces at say 20 -25 mph max the knocking is apparent. Speeds above this it's very much reduced and then non existant at higher speeds. It's like a muted dull knocking sound certainly more of a small thudding knock rather than a harsh rattle. It's not loud but certainly noticable perhaps more to me as I know it's there and when to look for it.

I'll look into the prices for changing drop links and perhaps wishbone bushes just in case drop link replacement doesn't solve it. Warranty expired in November.

Thanks.

17. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Buy the drop links from Honda (order from HH to save some money) and then take to any garage to have them fitted. Replacement is simple job really.