Dealers/Garages Mworks, Bethnal Green

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by exec, Friday 2nd Sep, 2016.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Well I said I would review them, so here finally it is.

What do they?
    Your typical 'all round' garage dealing with mechanical and bodywork. A lot of the work seem to be bodywork.

Why did I choose them? After looking for a bodyshop to tidy up bits on my car and find a trusty place to use for current cars, future cars and for family members etc, I came across them as they had a social media presence where I was able to see what they do, most others did not, one other did and I already had a chats with that one long time ago so it was between Mworks and the other one. Chose Mworks in the end as it was more local and had better public transport access.

What work was carried out? Resprayed bumper as it was scuffed badly from hit & run drivers, color coded side skirts, repaired both side panels as had theft damage next to both front doors with rust forming and finally alloys refurbed.

How much was it all? £500 for all, which is average price for these sort of back street garages.

How was the service? Average. Can't fault the workers, nice guys and all, but when I had problems the service was poor and left a bitter taste, took me 4 attempts to have car booked in so they could repair poor workmanship, four time I was told to come, so I went each time only to be told they are fully booked and sent back. I am lucky I have top colleagues otherwise the time wasted and late arrival to work would have caused problems for me. The dismissive attitude also shown when pointing out some of the issues was slightly disappointing.

What was the workmanship like? Poor. The blending was superb, couldn't tell that the car was resprayed on those parts. But there were places where lacquer finish was messy, oversprayed onto exhaust, oversprayed onto interior parts. The whole car when I picked it up was full of filler dust everywhere and paint in places, was an arse to clean up.

Moving onto the main part, less than a year after having the work done, a lot of major issues have propped up. The bumper paint has come off in one places and is now slowly coming off in other places, there are thin bits of paint missing in some places where it was supposedly buffed by painter. Paint also peeling off side skirts, and finally paint also coming off the alloys!

This is shoddy workmanship of the highest order and hwy the motor industry in general has a terrible reputation. The attitude I was given by owner is that, (not his words word for word, but gist of it), "its an old car with marks in other places, so what if paint is coming off here or there?" and then claimed "you payed £500, what do you expect, we don't spend that much time working on things like this". Perhaps if he told me I would be getting a shoddy job like this I would never had wasted £500 on work that lasts less than a bloody year, now I would have to spend double or triple getting all done again from a proper place.

The only positive is the owner explained a couple of things about bodywork, nice chap and all, shame the work and attitude towards certain cars is poor. I asked for a partial refund, I got only £50 back lol, they were happy to fix the issue no charge, but they had the car for couple of days and said it would be done by thisthat day, it was never done, I lost confidence and became a bit wary, so asked to cancel and just take my car, especially as I needed the car as I had family coming visiting from abroad.

Most of their paint jobs are insurance jobs on "german whips" where they get paids loads, don't bother taking your car to them for anything else, piss poor workmanship and it really winds me up to think two shoddy garages have ****ed up my car, this is a car I planned to keep 'forever' and had many plans for it, but its been cosmetically raped outside and inside by dodgy garages, I've lost interest in it as a result, the motivation is gone.

Verdict - 3/10 Average service, poor workmanship, typical backstreet garage, avoid like the plague.

Pictures of the work on car will be uploaded soon.

Zebster likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's quite poor service all round, from the actual job to the denial of the faults and then failure to rectify the issues.

Unfortunately there's a lot these cowboys around.

exec likes this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    To be fair he did accept some of the faults (and wanted to fix the bumper issues, but at this stage I lost confidence and patience with them), but was dismissive in attitude because in his eyes the job was cheap, his explanation as to why the bumper paint was peeling off after less than a year was basically that they don't want to spend too much time on this type of car so the painter didnt let the layers dry properly before applying new one. I think it's more than that, its cheap paint and proper prepwork, the paint obviously hasn't stcuk onto surface properly. Whats funny is when I booked the car in when I had the paint done they were saying how they would do everything properly and how other paintshops don't do work properly and paint comes off these plastic bits, the irony...

jimjams likes this.
  4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Something funny to mention, the owner and workers review their own business lol, just google the company and see one google review thats the owner reviewing his own business. Not much ethics there eh?

5. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I've often thought of getting similar work done on my car but, without doing any research, came to the conclusion that what you've experienced would happen to me IMO it's probably "standard"

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yep its a minefield, the odds of getting conned is probably 2/3, the motor industry really needs to be regulated, otherwise these cowboy units will keep continuing to fleece customers.