Feedback/Help My 1st 2 weeks as an active member

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help & Suggestions' started by Nels, Sunday 23rd Mar, 2014.

1. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Some observations from a newbie.

Positives
    Friendly and helpful community
    Easy to post replies
    Great database of helpful guides and tips on maintaining, repairing and modifying your Honda.
    Good positive response from members to those asking for help.

Things I found less straight forward
    Not really sure about the levels and privileges (now addressed - excellent)
    Being new to forums, it’s not that simple to know how to do things.
    e.g. quote other posts, insert video clips
    I am sure there are many that are put off from taking part by simply not knowing how to do things, or confused by the BB section.

HOWEVER, there are some really good ‘idiots guides’ in the Feedback section.

Suggestion
    Create a ‘How To List’ within the Help Section and put these and future guides in there.
    It would help ‘newbies’ and also act as an 'aide memoire' saving time hunting through the site.
    That in turn may help increase the number of members, and active members.

I am not an IT expert, an engineer, or even a mechanic.
    Just a guy that loves his Honda and has done so for over 20 years.
    My only 'expertise' is as an owner (even though both grandfathers, father and 2 uncles were/are mechanics)

Cheers,
    JD

SpeedyGee and PeteMM like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fully agree with your suggestions I will get this resolved quickly Thanks for the feedback Nels:Thumbup:

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Thanks for the feedback JD, we've been pretty busy since launch behind the scenes trying to get everything in place that the community needs. We're just working on finalising the new official site rules at the moment, then we'll be a bit more free to start focusing on the house keeping and looking at ways to better user experience.

For the "How to List" you mention, I intend to do a series of guides covering all the basic features and functions on the site. As I'm still very much tinkering with certain aspects ("Guides & DIY" and "Club Garage" specifically which still need migrating). I want to make sure everything is finalised so the guides are completely accurate for the future.

There will also be a PM that goes out automatically when new members register, explaining the ranking system, where to find our rules and referring them to the aforementioned guides.

We're very much in a period of shaping the community for the future at the moment, feedback like this helps us figure out what's best :Thumbup:

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That really was a pair of fast responses!
    Yeah, I guessed that you were still working on the site.
    All credit for what you've done. :GoodJob:

Just thought I'd put it down while it was still fresh in my mind and reflected the experience so far.
    The grey matter isn't as good as it was and in 2 weeks time I'd have forgotten / moved on to something else.

I always valued straight, honest feedback from my people at work and I'm pleased that you do too.

Ichiban and DeviateDefiant like this.
  5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    It is by far the most adult of the forums I am on.

Great information and the members hold a wealth of knowledge generally bypassing all the stages of BS seen on other make/model specific forums

Ichiban and DeviateDefiant like this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm not sure we want to know where else you go :Whistle:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Yup, read the guide ok.
    Is that the best/preferred way of doing it?
    I've just copied the pic to desktop and then upload from there.
    Is that wrong?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thats fine what ever works for you.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

An Update
    I've been reading my way through the postings.
    I started off with all the 7th Generation (51 pages x 20 / page) and have now moved onto the 8th Generation.
    Only done about 6 pages on there.
    I have to stop every now and again, as it really hurts my eyes, :Violin:so then it's time for a cuppa. :Tea:

I keep getting side tracked by some of the other items thrown up e.g. Severe Service (GD1) the poor little Jazz saga.
    What happened to that car is a prime example of what I keep ranting about...
    It's not the car or it's engineering at fault. It's the owner!
    It, and many of the post I've read, are also great examples of the outstanding fellowship on here.

HOWEVER, I have come to the conclusion that joining Honda Karma wasn't the right thing to do. :Wassat:

It's one of the BEST things I've done :Hooray: even if some of you are more disturbed than me ! :PullFaces:

DeviateDefiant and AccordCU2 like this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Wow you're on a mission there Nels.

Thanks for the kind words, good to hear that you're enjoying and appreciating the site. We have good bunch of core members and it's the members that make the site what it is.

Keep spreading the word peeps :Smile:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  12. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi nels
    its funny you should mention gd1 severe service I keep looking at that in disbelief.....just can't believe it. I've got a feeling that my partners and my gd1's may have the same destiny awaiting them....
    Big respect to cj for bringing it back from near detruction.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Jesus @Nels, you're going to end up being better versed on previous threads than most of the staff. We have a good community here and the atmosphere tends to be a lot different than most other car communities. We're building away by the day, I'm glad you joined us to be a part of it :Smile:

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Labour of love. :Wub:
    Got a lot to catch up on.
    Want to get an 8th Generation eventually, so need to get up to speed.
    I have to read the other postings for completeness.
    Don't like to do 1/2 a job. Or as those that know me think :Nuts:

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Thanks @DeviateDefiant :Smile:
    As I said, It's one of the BEST things I've done :Hooray:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Agree 100%
    I've worked with the public for many years, and it really does take all sorts.
    I don't know how the Jazz owner could feel safe?
    If it was any other brand, the car would have ground to a halt long before.