General My 2.2 i-DTEC EX 58 Accord review

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by ballisma, Monday 28th Apr, 2014.

1. ballisma Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ballisma
    Hi everyone,

Please find my review below

Appearance: 6 years on and the design is still eye catching and futuristic, interior and exterior
    Engine : noise is minimal from the outside, very quiet inside the car, very responsive, feels a lot more refined compared to german diesels
    Fuel efficiency: is slightly lower than official figures (due to age i suppose) Significant difference in MPG when cruising on 60mph, 70mph & 80mph
    Road noise: Louder than i expected on the motorway, louder than its german rival
    Suspension: very comfortable in town, subtle over potholes
    Handling: I am really surprised how the car handles corners and high speeds, considering i owned a few sporty german and Japanese cars previously
    Brakes: smooth and responsive
    Auto gear box: smooth gear changes, i still feels it needs a sixth gear, manual over ride is a bit of a gimmick but looks good
    Lights: I feel the need to upgrade to HIDs, I had them on my Type-R, audi and BMW as standard, diy installs are slightly discouraging
    Alloy wheels: standard 17 inch wheels look proportionate and do not compromise ride
    Satnav: accurate, voice command is an interesting bonus, cannot find 100% of required addresses and postcodes, would love to have a split screen where i can have the audio screen to the left and the satnav directions on the right (BMW layout)
    Audio: First class audio quality and subwoofer is very decent, screen resolution quality is a lot worse than i expected, audio menu interface is a bit boring, colour schemes are dated (any upgrades available?)
    HFT: phone call quality is very good, Bluetooth connectivity is very strong, setup is very simple, i have yet to explore the HFT commands
    Controls: centre console buttons sometimes seem a stretch (i am 6ft1)
    Climate control: easy to use, de-mister is relatively slow
    Steering wheel controls: slightly crammed, very attractive steering wheel design
    Handbrake: firm, could have been shifted back nearer the armrest
    Paint work: much better than previous Civics
    Interior trim: nice soft touch leather like dashboard, disappointing cheap feeling door handles and door cards interior shiny plastic
    Seats: very comfy leather seats, feels a bit too upright and lumbar support is uncomfortable, electric seats controls are a treat, sometimes loses saved seat position?
    Rear passenger legroom: not great, adequate
    Boot: good space, boot lid feels flimsy and very light, the lid does not open fully when button is pressed on key fob
    Key fob: silver buttons common fault chip and peel easily cannot find a replacement, good range however and flick key is ok
    Mirrors: Good coverage, electric mirrors nice option, would prefer if it closed when car is locked
    Door locks: very loud, they don't auto lock when the car is in motion .. Why?
    Reverse camera: is very helpful when parking in tight London spots
    Parking sensors: very subtle, alarms a little to early, audible beep is just right

Overall very happy with my Accord!
    Would love to fix the niggly bits, so im open for suggestions
    Thanks

DeviateDefiant, Ichiban and Racy Jace like this.
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Re : Satnav

Mine (2012 EX) is set up exactly as you suggest.

I have the map on the left of the screen, with the next set of directions (usually 5 or 6 steps) on the right. On the motorway, it shows upcoming service stations here as well.

Not sure how to change it to get that - mine was set like that when I picked it up!

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Unfortunately you can't have the audio and sat nav display on at the same time.

To select the seat memory seat positions there's to scenarios.

Cars Stationary:
    Push the number and wait for seat to adjust.

Cars moving:
    Hold down the memory button until the seat stops moving.

I'm presuming you set the memory correctly by pressing set which should make the green LEDs blink. Then hold down one of the numbers.

I thought the EX had HID lights as standard? Do you have the headlight washers?

4. ballisma Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ballisma
    Hi FirstHonda
    Mine is exactly like yours, I want the audio on the left and directions on the same screen

5. ballisma Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ballisma
    Hi Racy Jace
    IYes I have set it up correctly with the green led on
    I didn't know there was a difference when the car is stationary or moving, I'll try it later
    No its not standard on my 58 plate, maybe on later registrations it is
    And no I don't have headlight washers
    Thanks

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Sorry, mis-read that - thought it said map / directions rather than audio / directions.

I never need to look at the audio, mine is just always set on Radio 2...:Grin:

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm sure I've seen a post on here for replacement silver buttons.

8. ballisma Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ballisma
    All I can find is replacing he whole key fob and soldering the existing circuit to the new fob

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Either the original post, or a link from it had a picture of the silver buttons next to the black plastic fob.
    It may have been a complete unit, but you could just use the buttons.
    I think it was on one of the 8th Generation posts. Trouble is, I read them all in the last week or so whilst learning about the 8th gens.
    If you're not in a hurry, we'll find it again !

10. ballisma Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ballisma
    Thanks Nels I would appreciate it

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

No probs. I've got a few thing to do, but I'll have a look when I get back :Hey:
    It's going to bug me now until I find it :Wassat:

12. T10KJC Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Please let me know if you can replace silver buttons

13. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can't paste from my phone for some reason but search for "key fob replacement" thread in 8th Generation section.
    Think you can't buy buttons separately from Honda but buttons can be swapped if you can find donor key somewhere.

Attached Files:

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

EX GT had HIDs as standard.

EX with ADAS (like my old car) had HIDs. :Thumbup:

15. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    ballisma and Nels like this.
  16. ballisma Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ballisma
    Mmmm

If I were to source/salvage a pair of headlights from an EX GT would they work straight away or would I need extra parts?

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Racy Jace, ballisma and Phil1978 like this.
  18. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No, sadly not a case of plug-n-play as the HID wiring will not be in your car as the headlight will have sensors/wiring galore for the self-levelling.

I suppose anything is possible if you put your mind to it - probably cheaper to find an EX GT or an ADAS or Type-S and swap.

19. ballisma Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ballisma
    Wow! No definitely not worth swapping the car
    Maybe ill look at bulb replacements some time in the future when it starts really bugging me
    Thanks

20. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No problemo :Niceone: