Electrical & Lights My 2nd key stopped working after battery change - anyone help?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Smokey, Sunday 17th Jan, 2016.

1. Smokey Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Both my keys used to work fine.

I had to replace the battery on one of them, and since I did this, it will no longer operate the remote locking.
    When the battery was brand new, the 1st couple of times I pressed the LOCK or UNLOCK button, the little red light lit and I think it locked/unlocked the doors.
    However, it then stopped working. No little red light. Almost as if the battery was dead again

It will still start the car and drive it ok AS LONG as it hasn't been locked with the 'good' key previously.
    So if the working key locks it, and I open the door with the now 'bad' key, the car starts but the alarm goes off.

Does it need reprogrammed?
    Is it hammered?
    Do I need a new one?

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

IIRC, there is a way of doing this. Can anyone remember how?

Smokey likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup the key needs reprogramming at the dealers.

Smokey likes this.
  4. Smokey Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Feared that.

I wonder how much they will bog their arms in for? Anyone know likely cost?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In southern Ireland I can suspect 100 Euro, over here 60 quid.

6. Smokey Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eh? Seriously?

I live on the border, so there is a Honda dealer in NI near me. I'll ask them for a quote.

Thanks folks.

7. Smokey Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

IF anyone remembers a way for an owner to do it themselves, feel free to post.

I read a coupe of different possible solutions on the net, nothing seems to have worked so far.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Key programming is a Dealer only task I'm afraid

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    sorry for hijacking the thread but will it be the same if I want to try and get an additional remote for my Jazz?
    I only have one remote but two keys and I was thinking I should get a spare as the one I have is pretty beaten up... so was hoping to buy something like this and somehow pairing it to my remote locking but if it requires a trip to dealers then... :/

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Remotes can be programmed using a procedure .. which of course can be found somewhere here on HK :Smile:

legend-ary likes this.