General My car has died I'm gutted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chadders, Monday 19th Mar, 2012.

1. Chadders Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wife called me Friday just gone she told me a light as come on on the dashboard and the car's making a funny noise!! I asked which light it looks like a jug with a drop coming out ! was the reply
    So I tell her stop immediately turn engine off
    I then explain how to check the oil and how to top it up (after having to walk to a nearby garage)
    She does this light still on engine still making noise so I tell her to turn engine off and call breakdown which she does

Then this morning

I feel as Sick as a pig with swine flu is the only way I can express how I feel the news is very bad. The engine has siezed and in all likelyness the oil pump chain has snapped for some reason. This would have caused catastrophic damage to the engine resulting in the only way to repair it will be to replace the entire engine or the lower end at a cost of 1K ++ I've just had a lengthy chat with Steve from HH who advises that to strip the engine to find out what exactly has been damaged and then to replace the parts it uneconomical. Next option is to replace the engine completely this would mean 10 hours labour approx £900 + VAT then the cost of the engine which would be around £1500 for anything half decent with a good warranty.

Guys I know you'll understand how bad this news is unless you love yout car and cars in general it's not something people can generally appreciate.

I also logged my complaint with greenflag this morning although it's probably in vane as I could never prove that what the recovery man did made a slavagable engine go beyond repair. Green flag idiot of an excuse for a mechanic tried to start the car several times until the battery died despite being told by my wife what exactly had happened incredible

I've been in touch with Andy from VTEC direct who may be able to help out he's cheaper than a main dealer and also married to my wifes cousin

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Really sorry to hear about this Paul.

If it was running without oil for some time on Friday then who knows what might have happened to the insides of the engine...although things sometimes don't turn out as badly as they first seem.

Glad to hear your wife was unharmed by any of this.

We all love our Accords but all issues with them boil down to money although your finances need this like a hole in the head.

Fingers crossed time while we wait and see what Andy says.

Good luck and I hope it works out relatively okay.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is not a particularly good news but it is not uncommon for I-CTDI to sieze if the oil pump chain snaps.Paul do you service your car on your own or a dealer? If it was at a dealer you would have caught this before the damage happened and have the chain replaced under warranty.

I can't say anything to cheer you up and hope you find a solution soon.

4. Chadders Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

CJ last couple of services have been done by a local guy who works from his own garage, but all parts were gen Honda supplied by HH and the oil was the right spec 0W30 the car's never missed a beat and TBH hardley ever uses any oil. There were no obvious signs that there was a problem I don't quite know how far my wife drove the car before she noticed the light but when she did she drove away from the junction she was stationary at and stopped immediately and called me, and I'm not blaming her.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to hear this Paul.Never easy to hear that your pride and joy is down.Hope you find solution that suits you to repair the car.

6. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Gutted for you Paul. Hope there's some good news for you and the engine can be economically repaired.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It just unfortunate bud, no its not your wife's fault at all. You have done everything as owner by using Honda genuine parts and oil.Maybe your local techinicans Honda knowledge would not be as sharp as a Honda dealer who see these cars everyday.A timing chain about to snap does give a tell tale noise if spotted early they would have initiated the warranty claim. Your local techinican can't raise the warranty claim. Out of curiosity were you aware there was an extended warranty for the timing chain.

Sorry thus brings no solution to this situation.:Frown:

8. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Maybe it only needs a new oil pump chain, who knows.

We'll just have to wait and see.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes need to wait and hear what the root cause is after its stripped.

10. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Any update on this Paul?

11. Chadders Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've decided to sell it so it's on ebay £1k start bid which has been offered with 31 people watching. The risk of spending almost £2k to sort it out then only have at most a 3month warranty was a risk I wasn't prepared to take

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not a happy ending at all but it is the logical step to take, have you considered your replacement car yet.

13. Chadders Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

We need a big diesel estate thinking of the v70 D5 520 tourer or Mazda 6 the Accord isn't ruled out but we've increasingly found the back seats small for 3 growing moaning! teenagers to sit next to each other on long journeys.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I agree rear of the Tourer does get cramped for three , but does the Mazda 6 estate have more space in the rear?

15. Jerry Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You won't go far wrong with a v70 D5 ..... usually Bombproof

16. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    Hopefully, that's the best case scenario. A more serious issue might be underlying. But I can certainly sympathize with losing a beloved vehicle as it's happened to me before. I hope things work out for you in this situation with your car.