Daily Driver My Car

3rd Generation (2006-2012) vehicle added by gjbic, Saturday 10th Oct, 2015

1. gjbic New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom GRAHAM J WHITSTABLE
  2. gjbic New Member Getting Started

Can anyone help me with a query regarding a cable to connect a Pioneer App Radio to the steering wheel vol +/- controls please?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Sorry I've been away. From your garage info, and the fact you said Pioneer, I think this should be what you need -

1 - Stalk Adaptor
    2 - On the same page above, where it says "Stereo Stalk Patch Lead", select Pioneer. You MUST order the Stalk adaptor AND the Pioneer connector.

5. gjbic New Member Getting Started

Hi Roger, many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, both links take me to 'error' pages. I'll persevere but if you could send again, I would be most grateful.

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

7. gjbic New Member Getting Started

Thanks Roger - still a dead link for some reason, but I've now found the page in the site and can move forward. Very much appreciated.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  9. gjbic New Member Getting Started

That's the one, thank you. All good.

RogerH69 likes this.
  10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Make sure you also order the correct Radio Interface for Pioneer

11. gjbic New Member Getting Started

Will do. I think I've found it. There seems to be a lot of woolly information regarding this Pioneer unit from Halfords. They don't seem sure about various things. I asked if the Honda rear reverse camera could be linked to the new unit. They don't seem to know that either. We'll sort it bit by bit....

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Let me have the model number of the head unit and I'll look into it for you. Don' rely on 'advice' from Halfords staff, as in my experience most of them don't know much about the electronics they sell.
    - - - Updated - - -
    To be fair though, I think there's probably a lot of Honda enthusiasts that wouldn't be able to tell you if the OEM camera would fit that head unit (I certainly don;t know, as I don;t know how the OEM camera connects :Smile: )

13. gjbic New Member Getting Started

I do get the feeling that Honda, a bit like Apple, like to complicate things just a tad when it comes to connecting cables. They see to be just that bit off the norm!
    But you are very kind. It's the Pioneer AppRadio SPH-DA120. I also read tat the unit can dim when the car lights are switched on. Though not my immediate issue!
    Many thanks

14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

The SPH-DA210 seems to be a slightly newer version of my original Pioneer Double DIN head unit, the SPH-DA110. This head unit is aimed squarely at people that have their media on their phone / iPod *spit*, and other than that, provides radio functionality. One really good function it has is being able to use it's included GPS antenna to pass back satellite information to apps on the phone. In other words, you use the head unit to control apps on your phone. The number of apps is limited, and depends on what phone you have. I have used it successfully (and also written a guide on it - which is a bit old but still valid) with an Android phone. I have not used it with an iPhone *spit* or iPod *spit*. The reason for this is that the iOS version on the iPod *spit* was not supported by the head unit.

Not sure what OS version for Android / Apple devices this unit supports, as it's not mentioned in the user guide. You will also need to purchase the relevant connectivity cables for the type of device you want to connect. You can download the manual for the unit here, and look on pages 12/13 and later for the necessary cables.

From what I can see, the reverse camera is just a single RCA cable. Don't know how the OEM reverse camera is connected, so can't say if it's compatible. In theory, if it's not directly compatible, you may be able to install a convertor, but don't quote me on this :Smile:

Have you already purchased this head unit ? If not, I personally would recommend that you not purchase it until you give a lot of thought into what want to do with it, and find it's compatible, as this part of the Pioneer range is quite limited in it's functionality, though what it can do, it does pretty well. From what I can remember, it does NOT allow you to connect a USB memory stick and play media files, but this model may be different.

For the same cost as that unit (or even less) you can get different Pioneer double din head unit which allow (for example) CD / DVD playback as well as playing MP3 files from USB (though their support for connecting phones is limited).

15. gjbic New Member Getting Started

It's already in the car I'm afraid. Being an Apple user (breathe breath...!) I was very frustrated that it didn't work very usefully with the Honda Unit. But the point of no return was the expense of renewing the sat nav dvd, which of course is dated as soon as you purchase it. So it seemed sensible to dig a little deeper and buy the Pioneer. I don't need a cd player, so that wasn't an issue. My iPod also works well (be calm, calm) so far - so good. The mapping is far far better. The use of voice control (via Siri) is sooo much more accurate than the Honda unit, and the ease of making/receiving calls and text messages is a real improvement on before. For the most common usages, I'm happy. Be even happier once I've cracked the steering wheel control issues. Now, I'm trying to work my way through the manual for all the other tricks it can do. This could take a while. Well, take ME a while!

16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Come to think of it, I never used steering wheel controls with my SPH-DA110, so not 100% sure it is capable, and I don't have the installation guide for the SPH-da120
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ok, found the installation guide, but it makes no mention of steering wheel controls input

17. gjbic New Member Getting Started

There's the confusion. In the box was a detailed addition to the installation guide, with instructions for connecting to the steering wheel, with a photo of a CR-V wheel such as mine. But Mr Halfords tells me that the suggested cable isn't the correct cable, hence the on going saga to discover the right one. Maybe I need a second opinion. Maybe my Mr Halfords got it wrong.

18. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I saw this, and maybe the wired remote input is where the connector that goes to the stalk adaptor would go in. As long as this is the correct input, then the 2 Autoleads parts should be all you need (in theory) and they definitely worked for me with my Pioneer head units.

upload_2015-10-12_16-39-29.

Looking at the install guide for my head unit, this 'wired remote input' does seem to be the correct input for steering wheel controls, as I seem to remember that's where mine are plugged in
    upload_2015-10-12_16-46-59.

19. gjbic New Member Getting Started

Thanks for that. Here's the chart to which I referred.

Attached Files:

20. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

That diagram is for the one I linked to in this message (Connects2 ctsho001-2). I think it's the correct one for your car. Alternatively, you could order the Autoleads equivalent ones I listed in the other post.