Daily Driver My CL9

7th Generation (2003-2008) vehicle added by toffee_pie, Sunday 25th May, 2014

1. toffee_pie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eric
    toffee_pie added a new Honda to the garage:

My CL9

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm actually looking to get some BC Racing coilovers soon, can you give me some feedback on how the ride was? Also did you change the stock damper settings?

3. toffee_pie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eric
    go for it, the car is transformed. you can just throw this around bends and stuff now with scant regard for trees, ditches, lamp posts :Tongue:

the lexus i drove is more cumbersome but i expected that, with coils the ride is way firmer so things like rattles with show up.

also all the other bits of the suspension will have to take a beating, the d bushes, drop links, wishbones etc are all going to be stressed by the coils so may need to be checked.

a well set up suspension set up is the most important thing, and good tyres.

a CL9 on stock suspension is useless....!

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well, I've owned a '03 and '07 Type-S, the '03 was too soft, plenty of body roll, tail came out a bit too often, it was geared too much towards absorbing the road and not sticking to it. The '07 is a lot more rigid, vastly improved while still retaining a good level of comfort.

I'm looking to get a good balance out of the BC coilovers, I do want a comfy ride over speed humps and through our badly maintained back roads - but at the same time I want that rigidity which gives predictable high speed cornering and the least chassis flex (though the latter I guess will be sorted out with some bracing). Hopefully I can get that out of it.

Reiterate your point, tyres make all the difference on the CL9 platform. I just swapped the '03s wheels (with Michelin Primacy 3 XLs) onto the '07 (cheapos), the car is a different beast entirely.

5. toffee_pie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eric
    on crap roads, coils are not good. I had my CL9 in Ireland for about 4 months....

nightmare, i had to crawl most place and people behind me thinking i was a granny.

They come into their own on smooth tarmac and windy roads, if you were in Germany you could just go hell for leather on them which is something i regret not doing.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well I was hoping the adjustable damper setting would allow me to compensate for that somewhat - I guess I really won't know until I get a set and have a play around. To be quite honest, the car is already pretty perfect on smooth tarmac, the only niggle is a bit of nose dive at times.

7. toffee_pie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eric
    even on soft, in Ireland it was really bad

if it was on hard setting i am sure the car would fall apart! the springs are rock solid... i mean rock solid

the guy who put them on grinned at me and said these springs..! he tried to bounce the car and it wouldn't move.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Aha, well I guess I'm in for a rough ride going that route. That said, they can be made to spec.

9. toffee_pie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eric
    they are good though...!

once you get them you won't look back..

just keep away from crap roads :Tongue:

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah I've been doing my research and they seem to come out on top without getting into 4 figures, not just that but I'm away from home travelling at the moment and the local motorsports workshop (for Rockingham Motor Speedway) keeps BCs for the CL9 in stock.

But keep away from crap roads? I wish it were that simple my friend :Laughing:

11. toffee_pie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eric
    hahaha

unfortunately true :Frown:

in Southampton roads cack too.

councils got fob all money to do up roads now across the nation.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah for sure, it's not bad on the main roads most of the time but a lot of the more rural ones can be a right pain.

Merseyside isn't that bad, but back home where I am now (Northants), it's like driving across rumble strips all the time.

13. toffee_pie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eric
    Its a pain for sure.

you need to consider the stress the whole car will be seen to with coils, the bad roads make things worse. Any bad components will be soon found out if you put coils on.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I don't doubt it mate, already waiting on some adjustable rear camber arms and a front camber ball joint to arrive from the states. I'll check over bushes and the rest in the next week or two - I'm pretty bang on about getting things sorted out and have the car in a 1000 pieces every couple of weeks, not overly concerned :Smile:

toffee_pie likes this.