CR-V My Dad is looking for a newer car, possibly a CR-V

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harvey, Tuesday 20th Jan, 2015.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My dad currently has a 1997 3rd Generation Renault Espace 2.2DT (not the 2.2DCi engine which kept blowing up), he is looking to replace this with a newer more fuel efficiant diesel car. One thing he likes is comfort, the Renault was good at that, but after spending around £2k fixing faults with the car (ne clutch, clutch master cylinder, dash cluster bulbs, tyres which keep wearing out prematurely, suspension and brakes) he has decided that it might be time to replace it with a newer car. I've tried to steer him towards something from the Honda range, namely the CR-V, as he specified that he wanted a 4x4 vehicle, thats comfortable.

So far he has looked at buying second hand, maybe 2 - 3 years old

Skoda Yeti 4x4
    Honda CR-V (atm he's looking at the latest models from 2012 onwards)
    VW Tiguan
    Mazda CX5

If anyone has any reviews or imformation about the CR-V in terms of actual fuel economy, and any problems that might be encountered (not expecting any really as its Honda) I'm trying to sway him towards it as much as possible, for the same reasons I chose my Accord, which is reliabily and so far ride comfort, as well as actually handling. By the way, he is doing 1000 miles a week so although 4x4 fuel economy is quite important as well.

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't get the Tiguan. It's a hateful, crappy piece of shit.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Edit: 48000 miles a year is mental, what mileage is the Renault on?

3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry, thats my mistake, should have been 1000 miles a month, not a week, on mostly crappy roads, that does get frequent mud, snow and ICE. hence the 4x4. The Renault is on 135k

I do have a friend who works for a racking inspection company and he does do 1000 miles a week, every week.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's pretty impressive for a Reno.

Anyway I got a little sidetracked when I saw the Tiguan as an option, back to your question. Even with 12000 miles economy is going to be important.

I have shamelessly copied the Diesel engines from Honda:
    For S/SE variants
    2.2 i-DTEC Diesel Manual£25,20550.4149F/£145
    2.2 i-DTEC Diesel Automatic£26,85042.8174H/£290

I would go for the 2.2 manual in this case.

For SR/EX variants

2.2 i-DTEC Diesel Manual£29,49548.7154G/£180
    2.2 i-DTEC Diesel Automatic£31,16041.5180I/£345

Again manual

5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for that @Chunkylover53, the pair of us have looked at the fuel economy of the 2.2I-Dtec engined model in manual of course.
    What I was getting at though was claimed MPG vs actual MPG from an owner.

Yes the renault has done well, it recently had the exhaust replaced, the orig lasted 17 years, albeit with a couple of patches.

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah actual MPG is always what matters. CR-V owners, feel free to post your MPG's below.

Harvey likes this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^As a Tiguan owner before I got my Accord, I think the above comment is a little unfair...

...as it doesn't go nearly far enough!

Mine was fine (bought new) for the first year and 20k miles. Then the lack of quality started to shine through - the touch screen faded and was difficult to use ("that's normal wear & tear, sir"); a hole appeared in the drivers side carpet as there was no footrest ("that's normal wear & tear, sir"); the drivers seat bolster started to wear through (guess what the answer was?!).

It did drive ok though, and the 4x4 capability was excellent - right up until the point when at 2 years and 40k miles the gearbox exploded on the M1. At least they did replace THAT under warranty...but it took ages as the gearboxes were on back order, and just my local dealer had two others waiting for the same thing. It told me everything I needed to know.

I knew two other people with Tiguan's at the same time - one of which also had a new gearbox, and one needed a new engine - both before 3 years old. They aren't going to be having another VAG car in a hurry, either. The reliability index numbers (based on actual claims) tell a story too - link below. AVOID.

General - Reliability Index

Rant over. I hear good things about Skoda, but as the components are (I believe) the same as VW, I'd have the same reservations.

Mazda CX-5 looks a nice car, but having looked at one, the quality just isn't the same as a Honda IMHO.

My sister had a similar choice a few months ago, and after looking at plenty of options she opted for a CR-V (petrol, auto). It has a HARD life, but the only reservation she has so far is that she isn't that impressed by the quality of the leather seats and how they are wearing.

Harvey, Chunkylover53 and SpeedyGee like this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers for that insightful pieve of info, I'll show that to my old man.

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The Honda is the best out of that list, sounds biased on a forum like this, but it is, the CX5 would be second choice, very nice car, slightly smaller I think than the Honda, they are a bit more sporty too.

FirstHonda likes this.
  10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the opinion excec, greatly appreciated. Like I said, I am trying to get him to sway towards the big H, even though he has looked at cars made by the slanty H.
    I would rather him have a reliable car that holds its value well, rather than drop like a stone.

11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I wouldn't rule out a Kia or a Hyundai.

They don't drive with the polish of a Honda in my opinion, but the warranties are long and the build quality is pretty decent these days. As a result they hold their value much more strongly than they did a few years ago.

It's a question of driving the contenders, and making a decision with all the factors accounted for. I'd be confident that the CR-V is the best choice, but it depends on whether you are prepared to pay more for it i.e. Do you think the extra cost is worth it?

It's a tricky one, and I'll be in a similar position later this year when I come to change my Accord...

12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's exactly the problem, but at the moment, he has only driven a Honda, the older gen model on a 59 plate and he liked it. We will see what the others are like and report back.

FirstHonda likes this.
  13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Agreed that the Hyundai and the Kias are also good cars, but they lack the class and engineering that the Honda has, but still make good A to B cars or workhorses. My old man replaced his Accord with a Kia, its good car and all but not a patch on our old 6th Generation, everytime he gets in my car he mentions how much more nicer and comfy the Accord is, and thats in a 15 year old car!

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  14. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Has anyone looked at the Xtrail (2007-2014), not going to win any beauty contests but I could be persuaded on paper at least over the 2nd/3rd Generation CR-V and seems a bit more capable in the rough stuff.

15. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    Not very useful but for what its worth I sat in a brand new CR-V in a dealers at the weekend, high spec one with sat nav, tan leather - It really was a lovely place to sit, it felt very premium.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    One of my colleague has a 2010 (i think) X-Trail, and whilst a good car, its rather cheapish, interior looks and feels like something from the 90's, they are more of a workhorse than a premium road car like the CR-V, if you get what I mean. Plus I would be wary with the Renault connections it shares in the long term.

Probably should mention another colleague bought a brand new CR-V after testing out the CX5 and Rav4. Was the better car overall.

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Totally agree with that. I looked at one back in 2009 (when I ended up with the VW Tiguan, bad choice!).

Nice car, very practical, but far more workmanlike than most SUVs. Quite high on emissions and poor(ish) economy too compared to some.

Looked at the latest X-Trail in a showroom a few weeks ago. Not a great looker, and the doors felt very light and shut with a real clang. That put me right off! Expensive, too...

18. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Yeah I haven't seen one in the flesh but the workmanlike appearance appeals to me in SUV land and you can lock 4WD, although the 'French connection' is a worry lol. I've always wanted to get an older CR-V as a second vehicle so always looking at options.

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Watch out for the A Pillar strength of the Kia Sportage, it crushes very easily apparently. Areas like this can be easily overlooked but crucial and where makes such as Honda will excel. Although one nice feature of the Sportage is that I believe you can lock the diff which can be handy for off road.

20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All good points, I was aware of the renault connection to Nissan, but other than odd looks at least their Japanese counterparts seem ok, at Least on the face of it, though I doubt he wants an import sports car. Though personally id have an s15.

the 4x4 side of things though is not gonna be used for going off road, ita just because the road is poor and often covered in mud, and should it snow or the weather turn nasty, he is almost guaranteed to get to work (to get paid ) and get home again.