Engine & Gearbox My Diesel sewing machine

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by syzsounds, Tuesday 4th Jun, 2013.

1. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My Diesel sewing machine ( Now with video.)

Hey all,
    I've owned the car i've always wanted for 5 months now and 4 months of that ownership its been in the garage.:Sobbing:
    The problem is a constant rev related whining noise, Now, I've looked through this forum what i think must be a hundred times and have done all the checks on the alternator and tensioner
    Infact we removed the aux belt and ran the engine with nothing attatched and the noise was still there. At this point it went back to the dealer i bought it from.

Various trips back and forth and my car now has a new timing chain, oil pump chain and sprocket, new guides and new tensioners. Also the injectors are new as 2 broke getting them out,
    All this work has been done by the dealers own mechanics and all invoices from Lookers honda for parts have been seen.

Still its sounds like a sewing machine, So Big boots on and back to the dealer .. Who then takes it to Lookers to get it diagnosed ( Why they didnt do this ion the first place i have no idea , Might have saved them a lot of money) Lookers come back with a nice report thats says " Age related noise !" WT* is age related noise on a 62 thousand mile 07 diesel accord ?

I am here trying to find out what this noise might be, The car itself drives great, Infact its just done 950 miles last week going to cornwall and back loaded up with 3 people, 2 dogs and a weeks worth of luggage... And was still giving me 600 miles to a full tank.

Lovely car but this noise is getting right on my whosamaflips ..
    Thanks.

Last edited: Tuesday 4th Jun, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No two diesel are the same bud some are quite and some sounds bolts in a tin bucket.I assume you running with 0w-30 oil and try Vpower diesel that may quieten it down a bit.

Try a engine flush too to get the curd out even that may help.if you can upload a sound of the car ideally with a handy cam it will help to hear what she is doing.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My 2.4 petrol makes a subtle whining noise when accelerating. It's like a tight belt straining something kind of noise but everything feels ok with the belts and I can see any problems and to be honest it's not massively loud - I actually quite like it because it's similar to a jet engine type whine (nowhere near as loud of course haha!) Can you possibly record the noise?

Ironically, my car is from Lookers Honda.

4. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When everything was apart i made sure that they cleaned everything inc the sump and used fresh 0-30 ... V-power nitro diesel didnt make any difference ( i always use good fuel when on a big run)
    I'll get the noise recorded as you can hear it when stationarty revving the engine .. Loads louder when passing something close though.
    Sounds like its supercharged !

5. mostaghimi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

whine

I've got the same problem its driving me crazy if you find the problem let me know

6. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hopefully that works !

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  7. Baz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have EXACTLY the same noise: High pitched whine, varying in intensity dependent upon engine revs, reminiscent of the noise a supercharger makes! (As per video!) I too assumed that it was alternator bearing related, and had everything changed in that area to no avail....Like you, my garage ran the engine up with no ancillaries operating, and the noise was still present, suggesting it's coming from the engine.

I have heard two other Accord diesels out and about, making the same noise, and my garage had another Accord diesel in the very next day, also making the noise, and the owner didn't mention it as being anything out of the ordinary! The engine on my car is only just over a year, and 15,000 miles old (It received a brand-new engine/turbo under some sort of extended warranty), and feels & sounds good, apart from this irritating noise!

I'm currently in contact with my local Honda dealer....I want to see if they'll at least take a listen for me, tell me if they think it's anything out of the ordinary....The noise is a bit irritating, but personally, I can live with it, provided I can be confident that the engine isn't about to go bang!

Once the dealer has lent an ear, I'll let you know what they say....Meantime, take comfort from knowing it's not just you! :Smile:

8. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lookers had a listen ... " Age related noise " They said then billed my garage 57 quid for the priviledge.
    Seriously ? that kind of noise on ANY car can't be normal ?

9. Baz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well I've owned over 100 cars since I've been driving, and it doesn't sound "Normal" to me, but there certainly would appear to be a good few diesel Accords out there doing it!

I'm on holiday next week, but when I get back the car is going in for Holden Norwich to have a gander....One would assume that if they think there is a problem, and they can fix it, they'll tell me in the hope that I have it repaired with them....If they tell me that it's something the diesels do, and nothing to worry about, then personally, I can live with it....I think it only irritates at the moment, because it sounds as if there is something wrong!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is not normal, guys take off the serpentine belt start the car briefly and rev it to see if that noise persists , if it does then you know you have a whine in the pulley area. Try moving all the pulleys side ways to see lateral play any rough movement can be felt by your hands. Check the crank pulley for cracks http://hondakarma.com/threads/5225/

if it does not indicate anything in the pulley area then its the turbo.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  11. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

On mine the noise does persist ... exactly the same with the belt on or off.
    When cold i can hear the turbo inbetween the whining noise when its slowing down ... If that makes a difference .

But Lookers Honda told me it was normal ... i even went back on my own and questioned it ... Would anything like this be covered ?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well then its the turbo in your case,as for the turbo they have no warranty extension on them.I take it they have checked the manifold you would have smelt the diesel fumes otherwise.

That noise is not normal.. normal for a turbo on its way out maybe. TBH bud drive the car turbo are expensive if your car stops then you had your life out of it , lets face it I-CTDI will never last forever, a petrol will.

13. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Surely if the noise can be heard at tick over it can't be the turbo. The turbo wouldn't be spooling up at those revs.

syzsounds likes this.
  14. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Exactly what i thought ...
    Would be nice to take it to someone who definately tell me what it is so i can get the damn thing to shut up !

- - - Updated - - -

At 62,000 miles i would think my car might last a while yet !
    So assuming its not the turbo ... is the crank pulley covered by anything ?

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    LOL no it is not .

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    but it does when it revved as per the clip.. turbo is spooling at those revs.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's not the same noise as mine and I have to agree it doesn't sound right.

18. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    It's a noise I have heard only on ICTDI that have had timing chain change or on units with a new block. It's more noticeable as the chain beds in. As it is quite tight in the guides. I seem to remember you saying you have had a chain recently? Engine noise is a very personal thing, I hear ICTDI engines every day so I know what is normal and what isn't.

19. AlexD333 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, this is an interesting thread, I am very soon getting chain, tensioners, oil pump chain and guides done, so I will report if this noise appears!

Luckily I have had the time of one of the Honda Master techs, to guide me into what bits to get and what "usually wears" in relation to the timing chain.

If I remember I will ask him tomorrow about this whine.

20. Baz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So, you're saying this noise is not "normal" then? I'm of that opinion, but more importantly, I'd like some form of reassurance, from somewhere, that my car isn't about to lunch it's engine!

My car makes this noise, and it's engine (AND turbo) are only about a year/15,000 miles old....Yet syzsounds' car made the noise with a 62,000 mile old timing chain, and still does with a new one fitted?

Admittedly, I'm not trained in these things, but all of this evidence (My new engine, turbo....syzsounds' noise with both new timing chain, and 62,000 mile one....The fact that both cars make the noise with the drivebelt removed) suggests to me that the problem isn't with belt/pulleys, timing chain, OR turbo.

Quite the mystery we have here! :Unknown: