Pre-Facelift Model My first Honda - the good and the bad

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Rakoribs, Sunday 5th May, 2013.

1. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

yellow exclamation mark warning light on dash?

I've just bought a Honda Accord 2009 I-DTEC ES GT tourer, I pick it up next weekend.

Something that the salesman spotted on returning from the quick test drive - was that there was a warnig light on the dash, a yellow circle with an exclamation mark in it.

Does anyone know what this warning light means?

I've searched on this forum and can only find reference to it when discussing issues with the DFP, i didnt notice any other warning lights in the couple of seconds before the engine went back off again, but as i didn't know what the various symbols mean (normal info symbols vs warning symbols) or where they would be positioned, i may have missed any DFP related lights (i've now seen what the DFP warning lights look like from the info on this forum).

Is this warning light related only to DFP issues or is it a more general warning of some kind?

Many thanks.
    Regards, Mark.

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Re: yellow exclamation mark warning light on dash?

If it's a circle with exclamation mark, I can only think of a low brake fluid warning. No relation with DPF and easy to solve. It's not really an indication for a car error, but a safety warning.

BUT: it might (!) give an indication for neglected maintenance or worn brake pads. Nothing serious, but take it into account and check the maintenance history, brake fluid level and brake pads wear.

3. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

yellow exclamation mark warning light on dash?

That warning symbol comes up for a number of things. Low fuel, no seatbelt, service due etc. At least is does in my car.

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst

Oh, Jaytip. I see. You mean the small indication light that tells you some important information can be found in the MID display?
    I thought about the big MID display where the brake related warning can come up. And that one is a circle to.
    You're right, it can be fore whatever what reason like low fuel, seatbelts, etc...
    Rakoribs, can you further clearify what could be seen in the dash?

5. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    It let's you know there is info on the mid for you to look at.you could just have had the door open etc.

6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst

So why are you worried? If you testdrove the car, than the important warnings come up anyhow on the MID display.

7. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Its usually just low fuel warning or low outside temp.

8. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    Why am I worried???

9. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys.

I saw the symbol for only a brief moment in a hurried test drive and i'm not familiar at all with the dashboard lights layout or what a MID might be.

As much clarification as i can muster while unfortunately being 300 miles away from the car - The warning light was around the top right hand side of the dash display area and it was a yellow circle with a yellow exclamation mark in it, not a very large or obtrusive light as i might expect if it was something catastrophic.

I was worried about what it might be, in particular that it was related to the dreaded DFP, but from the comments it appears its likely to something fairly minor.
    A signpost that tells you to look at this mysterious MID for more detail?
    Would this car have a MID? (unless ALL gen8 Accords do?) (Car = 2009 I-DTEC ES GT tourer)

Cheers, Mark.

- - - Updated - - -

The only references i can find to MID in AOC searches are the i-MID system on new Civics.
    Whats a MID?

10. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    Its the display inside the speedo mate,or trip computer whatever you want to call it. Did the warning look like the one up top on this photo?

View attachment 9220

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 6th May, 2013
    Rakoribs likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

MID =multi information display

Rakoribs likes this.
  12. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst

Sorry.... Replied to quick. Was not for you, but for thread starter.

13. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah, so the MID is a more detailed warning, inside the speedo, ta.
    Yes, I think that's the same as in the pic.
    So this warning symbol just lights up to tell you that you need to look at the MID to see what the current actual issue is? (its not a descriptive warning in itself)
    Cheers, Mark.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't know what the dash warning light meant and neither did the salesman.
    I didn't know its just a pointer that says you need to look at the MID (& at the time I didn't know who/what/where a MID was lol), so I also don't know what the actual error message was.
    The picture is getting clearer now with all the responses in this thread.

I was worried because i spending a lot of my hard earned cash on an unknown quantity car that had shown an unknown error message.
    Hindsight is always 20-20, i'll know where to look now.
    I'm glad it doesn't seem likely to be anything important, but at this stage of the game i'm not taking any chances, the quicker i find and investigate all suspect issues the better.

Once i've paid the balance and driven it 300 miles back home its going to be MUCH harder to get the garage to agree to sort any faults i find, that's why i'm going over it with a fine tooth comb.
    I spent a good hour going over the inside and outside of the car & service book, but unfortunately the test drive and discussion of issues part of the sale was very rushed, so it was difficult to investigate further at the time.

Thanks again.
    Cheers, Mark.

<EDIT: Ah, i see i've misunderstood, you thought deano's comment came from me, hence "so why are you worried">

Last edited: Tuesday 7th May, 2013
  14. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst

Yeah, sorry guys, I replied to quick, thought it was you and became confused.
    But indeed, you should not be worried for the small exclamation mark. Can be no matter what, but most likely nothing to worry about. Just an indication for safety.

15. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello folks,
    Picked up my 2009 Honda Accord ES GT I-DTEC Tourer in Birmingham on Saturday :Smile:

There are plenty of good points and a few bad, I'll be concentrating on the bad for the moment as they are of the most immediate concern.
    I can enjoy and wax lyrical about the good stuff once the bigger issues are addressed.

I've to wait a couple of weeks to hear if Black Horse can contact the previous owner and find if they have a spare key (as this car only has one key, which is pretty worn) before they will consider if they will provide or contribute towards a new key.

__GOOD__

1. Lovely looking car, 'Polished Metal' suits it very well.
    2. Great motorway mile muncher - it's very confident, settled and powerful feeling at motorway speeds. In fact it’s a bit TOO easy to notch up the speed without noticing. I'll get used to it.
    3. Comfortable & spacious, plenty of head room, lots of cubby holes and - wow - I now have a car that can safely hold a drink! Little things like the sunglasses holder are really appreciated.
    4. The menu control buttons for the gadget-fest toys are going to take some time to comprehend (sat nav, hands free tel, audio, climate control), but I'll get there.
    5. The Premium Audio sound quality & volume is pretty good for an OEM system, i'm not immediately concerned with upgrading components. 'Good' says the missus.
    6. Did I mention it looks great!

__BAD__

_1_
    First is a biggie - I got 5 minutes away from the Black Horse garage and joined a motorway - and on the slip road immediately noticed the clutch was slipping in higher gears. The short test drive the week previously had been in local slow busy traffic, so I didn't see the issue. I returned to the garage and I was pleasantly surprised that the salesman quickly agreed that this could be looked at by a garage near me in Scotland and if the clutch was slipping they would foot the bill as it was a 'day one' fault.

Since getting it home I've been able to get it to slip in 3rd a couple of times (in the dry) but it needs an incline/hill to show itself and even then it doesn't always do it. Phoning a Honda dealership close to my work today to get it booked in to be checked.

The mileage on the car isn't very high @ 59k miles, I'm surprised to find it slipping (although I now think the biting point does seem quite high, without a reference for what 'normal' on this car is) - I didn’t notice many reports of sworn & slipping clutches on the 8th Generation diesels on the forums at low mileages.

_2_
    The gear lever movement feel very notchy and greatly slows gear changes, particularly noticeable at slow speeds and in low gears (1st & 2nd).

The car is generally quite big & heavy feeling, with a soft suspension setup, but my first day or two using it at low speeds showed it to feel more like the lurching gear change of a transit van or diesel lorry rather than the smooth and quick gear change of any car I've ever driven. I wasn't impressed with that, but paying attention today has pointed me towards the gear change mechanism as the potential reason for this, hopefully there's an issue there that can be resolved and it's not the actual 'feel' of the car as its pretty un-inspiring and unrefined. I don’t really WANT to find a problem that needs fixed on my new car, but in this case I'll make an exception. I'll hope for an unusual linkage adjustment issue or something, but again I'm surprised as the car is only 4 years old and only had 59k on the clock.

QUESTION: Does anyone recognise this issue, or recognise it as being the normal driving style of the car?

_3_
    Particularly noticeable at startup and low speeds - there are 2 'sounds' to the engine, one is the standard diesel clatter, the other which really stood out as I'm not used to it is a higher pitched whirr/whine. Sounds a bit like a pump or pulley sound, but it's quite loud.

QUESTION: Does anyone recognise this noise as being normal? (you may only notice it when you first get it, before awareness fades)

_4_
    Particularly noticeable at startup and low speeds (perhaps more from cold, haven't had much time with the car yet) - the diesel clatter from the engine is quite agricultural compared to what I'm used to from the older Alfa diesel.

QUESTION: Does the I-DTEC have hydraulic tappits and do they often wear prematurely causing extra noise?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who has any information or suggestions regarding the issues I'm currently looking at.
    Cheers, Mark.

Last edited: Wednesday 22nd May, 2013
  16. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    I agree on most points.especially the noises.my car is on 75k now and was ex Honda and exhibits all the same traits you mention. I'm surprised by the ride,I think its too firm to be comfortable but not firm enough to be sporty,it kind of sits in no mans land in the middle. I also don't think its a powerful car,especially not on the motorway,its no way underpowered but it struggles with its mass a bit I think.

17. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Housekeeping / Threads Merged.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Regarding the clutch, there could have been a previous owner who would slip the clutch all the time and I'd hesitate a guess that even a Honda one would wear out prematurely from this. I see it all the time at lights, the old rocking backwards and forwards.

Also, if you think your car sounds agricultural, go and check out a 3rd Generation Ford Mondeo. I kid you not, but as I rolled down the streets in my 2005 Ford Mondeo TDCi LX any local youths would always turn their heads to me with that look of panic on their face thinking I was the old bill. The noise was at its worst in car parks....clang clang clang.....but then the engine was lifted straight out of the transit van lol

19. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rakoribs:
    Point 2 i agree completely with you. i always felt the gear change to be extremely notchy and as such causing the gear changes to be quite slow as a result. i have had mine for around 6 months now, and sort of got used to it. i have only 15k miles on mine as well

20. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine is the same even after gearbox fluid has been changed not so long ago.
    I got used to it as well but wish it was smoother.