Service & Maintenance My first MOT

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by pastore, Friday 25th Dec, 2015.

1. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    My MOT runs out in like 3 weeks so need to book somewhere, is it better to book at in independent small garage or a large chain like kwit fit or national in your experiences? and do they give you the certificate straight away or in the post? never done one before, bit nervous.

2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I goto Halfords auto center as they do MOT for half price. If your car passes MOT, you get certificate straight away. If it fails, you have (I think) 10 days to sort the issues and then they will retest for free.

3. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

so its better to go where ever is cheaper?

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    If you're happy with that, then yes.

5. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The MOT scheme has been computerised for some years now. Although often still referred to as a certificate, the print out is more of a receipt and a report of the inspection and it has no official purpose. The official record is held on DVSA's database and is uploaded almost immediately the test is completed. This can now be accessed by the public at https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history and includes detailed information on previous MOT's too (including mileage, advisories, reasons for failures, etc) back to when computerisation was introduced (circa 2005). This is also useful if you are looking at buying a used car and want to get a view as to its history.

As far as where to have it done, I have tended to use a recommended or trusted independent garage charging full price. I would prefer to pay the going rate, rather than be concerned about loss leader discounts in the hope of chargeable remedial work following a failure. Bad experiences in the past mean that I would not use a franchise dealer, even when service/MOT coincides.

Many local Councils operate MOT Test Centres for their own vehicle fleets. Although not advertised, these Centres are open to the public and, because they do not offer any repair service, you can be assured of an impartial test. The downside is if you do require any remedial work, this has to be done elsewhere.

Finally, you can have a new MOT test up to a month before the expiry date of the existing MOT. It is worth noting that, should the vehicle fail, the existing MOT expiry date remains valid. Same thing applies to the first MOT date. Clearly, an unroadworthy/unsafe vehicle should not be driven on the road, and once an owner is aware of this situation, they should take immediate steps to rectify.

Nels, RogerH69, FirstHonda and 3 others like this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

7. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

To be more clear, an MOT can be carried out up to one calendar month prior to the expiry date of your existing MOT whilst still preserving the anniversary of the expiry date. So if current MOT expiry is 5th July 2016 and your vehicle passes an MOT up to a month prior to that, the expiry date for the new MOT will be 5th July 2017.

Again to be clear, you should only drive a vehicle that has failed an MOT test on the road if you are on the way to have the failed defects fixed, or are on the way to a pre-arranged MOT test appointment. Although, the vehicle may have still be within the MOT expiry date, drivers may be prosecuted for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

8. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    ok patore
    I've used the same MOT centre for nearly 30yrs for my cars and all my friends and customers
    they are honest and thorough and very fair when it comes to failing and advising on faults
    if your that worried then book it with me
    if you want piece of mind then its worth going the extra miles
    they charge the full rate

MickyB, Nels, pastore and 3 others like this.
  9. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

sounds good thanks, where is it? and how much do they charge?

10. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    im in west norwood se london
    they charge the max goverment rate of £53.85p

legend-ary likes this.
  11. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ok i will let you know, my friend is a BMW driver and he said goes to some local one he will take me there tomorrow but if i don't go with them i will elt you know thanks, and I've just liked your post too.

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would listen to his advice with him being a BMW driver and all.

exec, MickyB, Nels and 5 others like this.
  13. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    yup that slaps me in the face can't compete with that kind of advise
    makes us honda guys advise look pretty sketchy in comparision with a BMW driver im totally in awe :happycrying::focus:

exec, MickyB and legend-ary like this.
  14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    but he liked your post!

exec, MickyB, Zebster and 1 other person like this.
  15. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    yeah i liked my posting too ...i like the fact that im so kin patient :brickwall:

MickyB, Zebster, Dave and 2 others like this.
  16. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

whats wrong with BMW? hes got a good car

17. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why?

18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I've previously owned several BMWs, but my authority to recommend MOT test stations has long since expired.

MickyB, Nels and HondaHeritage like this.
  19. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    my first car was a BMW .. not sure if that helps though.

20. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    i had a BMW many years ago for a short while, but it came with an MOT

MickyB likes this.