Electrical & Lights My H1 headlight bulb change nightmare

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by cred, Saturday 1st Feb, 2014.

1. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    So a few days back, I got flashed by a couple of drivers on the M40. Stopped to check that this happened:

4c444749-9893-4ccb-91b8-e674bd5a7654_zpsa0647db0.

Anyway following on from a few member suggestions, I ordered Osram nightbreaker unlimited H1s from Amazon. When I asked the dealership yesterday to have them changed, they wanted an extra £45 labour. At this point I thought how hard can it be to change a bulb

So today being a nice sunny day here in Berkshire, I started following the guidance in the user manual and attempted to remove the wheel arch cover. I am not sure who provides the guidance text but it was no way I could reach the bulb without removing the wheel, and the arch cover completely and after about 2.5 hours of painstakingly (and blindly may I add) I was able to change the near side bulb.

I know in hindsight I should have just paid the dealer to do it but should it really be this hard to change a bulb?

Trouble is I still need to do the driver side :Angry: which should be a little bit more straight forward as there won't be an air duct in the way

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    As with most things doing it the 1st time when you're only following instructions and you don't know exactly what you're doing it always takes far longer than it should do. If you was to do it again you'd get it done in a quarter of the time.

But at least you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and saving £45. Plus you've now learnt in case you have to do it again and you aren't in a position to take it to a dealer.

3. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    I couldn't agree with you more Doc. I guess my point was that wearable items such as a headlight light bulb should have a decent access to ensure that when installing you don't touch the glass. I did the driver side today and took me just under an hour. However, one of the things I was really careful of was touching the glass bit of the bulb and I think I may have touched it inadvertently and now I'm a bit paranoid that my bulbs might go off soon.

For the benefit of others, here's what I did today (learning from yesterday's mistakes!):

Totally regret the lack of pictures taken as I only realised after I'd wound up for the day

• Put some gloves on
    • Jack the car using the stock scissor jack (OSF today) and take the wheel off.
    • Remove the screw on the edge of the bumper and all the clips on the wheel arch cover (all of the clips within the tyre well itself)

465FD615-970F-4A3E-BA60-5B9BBBA7B98D_zpszxrko48y.

• Pull the wheel arch cover out of the metal housing on the body (I found it was a lot easier to pull the entire side than what is recommended in the guide.
    • Pull it down gently so that it reverses the arch shape allowing access to the low beam.
    • From there on you basically need to just rotate the black round cover anticlock wise to open and clock wise to lock
    • For maximum moment to open the cover (believe me its stuck pretty hard) I made sure my arm was completely straight. Took gloves off for this bit to give a better grip
    • Here's what it looks like

529F5D9D-1B17-4393-A911-C0856218BE0F_zpskudizvj0.

• Remove this wiring harness with green and black end to provide easy access when changing bulbs
    • Next thing slide and pull the spring holding the bulb in its place
    • I found it was easier to remove the bulb and remove the holder rather the other way round
    • Remove the bulb from its holder (this was slightly hard)
    • Stick the bulb in - for both of the sides on my car, I put the new bulb exactly the same way as it was before (the flat metal base of the bulb was at 45 degrees) not sure if it can be inserted the wrong way around and whether or not that makes a difference
    • The previous step requires a lot of patience!
    • Screw the cover back on (clockwise)
    • Plug the wiring harness back in
    • Quick check to see if the headlight is working (it was!)
    • Gently push the wheel arch cover back in place so it takes the shape of the wheel arch
    • I used a flat screw driver to slide it inside the metal body on the edges
    • Clips and screw back in on the wheel arch cover
    • Put wheel back on and store the scissor jack securely in the back (or trolley jack in garage etc)

Something I did was since the wheels were off, I used a wheel cleaner and a paint brush to clean the brake dust from inside which is normally not accessible easily

So not only have I saved £45 this time, I'm happy to help members (FOC of course) who need bulbs replaced on the 8th Generation

My previous bulbs state Phillips so not sure if they're OEM or aftermarket but I have put Osram nightbreakers unlimited which are DEF brighter than the Philips I have replaced

JAB, Doc, SpeedyGee and 1 other person like this.
  4. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Guys,

On Saturday, I went to visit Cred and he very kindly spent 2 hours messing with the above to fit some Phillips Vision+ bulbs. They are much better than the standard ones that were in before. So well worth the £20. I suggest to not lose sleep over Nightbreakers or Vision+. Just get either and you won't go wrong.

For me, I found a similar beam spread (already very good) but the road is much better lit.

It really isnt easy to change the bulbs and I thank Cred for showing me how to do it. Hopefully, won't touch for a long time to come.

I also cleaned my my alloys on the inside - that Honda Pro Cleaner is impressive!

SpeedyGee and cred like this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    wow that a trek for you bud from Soutport to London..I agree the Honda pro Cleaner is superb.. shame Honda have plans to kill off the Honda pro range.

However they are heavily discounted for end of life you can pick up a bargain.

6. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    £45 to change a bulb, crazy isn't it? Manufacturers should be made to give easy access to items like bulbs. If you go to certain countries you have to carry spare bulbs but what is the point if you have find a garage to enable you to get them changed. This is one area which continuous improvement engineers in car manufacturing companies should spend a little time.
    Mike c

7. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Hey royalblue, you have an amazing car and hope it serves you well. I enjoyed spending time on your car and would be great to catch up again.

CJ, I know you have always helped any member with an issue - perhaps I may call on you some day to help me through a couple of things? :Wink:

Also, if its ok to ask, how much can we pick the pro range for now?

couldn't agree with you more - this was the whole reason for my 'rant' earlier.

8. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nothing in an 8th Generation! Gobbles the miles!

- - - Updated - - -

Cred also made a very valid point to me when we chatted about the 8th Generation. The I-DTEC seems more of an after-thought as it has literally been shoe-horned into the engine bay. Hence no space to do any work whatsoever.

Even to change a bulb as access through the wheel arch liner requires removal of some bits and also a bit of Houdini.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's probably true of most modern cars, RB. Especially the diesel engines with all their emissions jiggery pokery that they have to have.

10. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    A friend has been quoted just shy of £300 for his D1S bulb replacement by VW. For real?

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Honda would replace his headlight for that price :Laughing:

12. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Apparently it's mega easy just to pull the front bumper off and remove the headlights. There was a post here somewhere on how easy it was. Took the guy about 10 mins if I remember. I too have this problem and went to put in some upgrade bulbs. I got my hand up inside the wheel arch and got the back cover off the headlight but couldn't get the connector off the bulb. I'm going to pop the lights out of the front soon and get it done that way...

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    It will literally take you 10 minutes, and once you're used to it only a minute or two :Thumbup:

G12 likes this.
  14. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    TBH I was a bit intimidated by taking the whole bumper off but I'm sure once you've done it first time, it's easier the next. I would recommend buying a new set of bumper clips beforehand to replace the ones coming out.

Folks on eBay sell them for cheap but they're not Honda OEM.

15. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    This was a day of owning mine so easy to remove 20120728_112415.

cred, SpeedyGee and DeviateDefiant like this.
  16. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I've replaced 8th Generation bulbs just moving the arch liner out of the way and by removing the bumper enough to remove the headlights. the time spent messing about and struggling through the arch is better spent removing the headlight and making quick work of replacing the bulb. but this is why there is a cost to replace them at a dealers. honda are not the worst culprits for this as owners of other makes will testify.

17. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    how long did it take you @Adamk to take it off and then put back on?

18. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    Id say its about 15-20min to get it off the first time i did it.its quicker to put it back on as the clips are the hardest bit to get out best bet is to get some clips from dealer.if your fitting HIDs to it the packs fit nicely under the head lights so you don't see any wires etc.id say fitting them to my honda was so much easier and quicker than fitting a set to my ibiza as it has no room

19. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    Did the same with the ibiza but was alot harder

b48e2892.

20. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I have the 2ltr Petrol model, shortly after I bought it in Sept 2012 I replaced the bulbs with the Osram nightbreakers main and dipped beam. Being the petrol model I don;t think it has the access via the wheel arch, I did check at the time and could not see any access beneath the headlamp unit so I cracked on working from the top. It was a major fiddle requiring the use of a small vanity mirror, head torch, removal of battery, air intake box and repositioning of header tank. I got them changed after a couple of hours wishing I had smaller hands as the actual removal and replacement was done by feel/touch, not easy but accomplished. Sadly I have to repeat the process now as I have lost the near side one. I now have a set of shiny new Ring Xenon Ultima's to install, I may leave it until next weekend as I don't have any night driving planned for next week.