Show Us Your Car My New Legend

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by JamesVR, Saturday 10th May, 2014.

1. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

James
    Hi everyone,

I've just become a Legend owner so I thought I'd say hello and share my initial thoughts about it. It was registered December 07 with just short of 35K on the clock, graphite pearl, black interior. Very beautiful looking car. I had a good, long test drive, and this dealership was literally right next to a dual carriage way and then motorway. I found it was amazingly nice to drive on such roads and I fell for it very quickly.

When I picked it up there wasn't much fuel left, so the first thing I did was fill up with regular unleaded because that's what I've always used. Immediately I noticed reduced performance and metallic knocking sounds coming from the engine. I didn't realise that Legends are required to have Super Unleaded, so as soon as this tank is done, which won't take long by the looks of things, I will fill up with super and see if that makes an improvement. I certainly didn't notice any knocking during the test drive.

The journey home was wonderful, you really could cruise all day on the motorway, it was only when I got back to my normal, familiar roads that I began to notice how firm the ride is. It really is a hard ride, and considering that my Legend will spend most of it's life on these poorly surfaced back roads, I'm starting to think I've made a terrible mistake! The reason I parted with my old car was because I felt it was too hard and sporty for my liking, but I've realised now that it was a magic carpet ride compared to the Legend. The Legend also suffers from a lot of rattles which has disappointed me as I expected build quality to be much better. Again, on nice smooth roads you don't notice, but on lumpy, rough B roads my progress is accompanied by a symphony of rattles from the area of the passenger side dash, both front door pillars and the rear window blind. I've found that the rear blind doesn't rattle if it is up, only when it's retracted, so I guess I'll just have to keep it extended all the time.

I will prod and poke about to see if I can find the source of the rattles because that's one thing I can't stand, and it is a shame because the car is so refined in all other respects. It is an awesome car without a doubt, but I'm not sure that I'm going to get on with it long term. If only I could have test driven it around my usual routs I would have known it wasn't going to be suitable. I'll see how it goes, it's only been a few days and I guess I need to bond with it a bit more.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has a rattly Legend or is it just mine? I'm thinking now that the fact it's had 4 owners already should have told me something!!

Regards
    James.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hi @JamesVR ,
    Sorry to hear you're not completely happy with your Legend. They are fantastic vehicles, but clearly the previous owners didn't give her the attention she deserved.
    If you bought her from a Honda dealer, they should sort these things out for you. Approved Used Cars usually come with 12 months warranty.

If not a main dealer, then the guys on HK are very supportive, and you will get help here.
    They sound (excuse the pun) like little niggles rather than anything major.

We would love to see some pictures of her in the 'Club Garage' section.
    If you submit a post in the 'Introduce Yourself' section as well, then members will pick up on that too.

Either way, welcome to our club :Hey:

JamesVR likes this.
  3. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

James
    Hi and thanks for your reply. I think you're probably right in that I doubt it has been looked after as well as it would have been if I'd had it from new. It's Honda Approved and has a full history, but who knows how people have used it day to day. Apart from the rattles it feels like a brand new car, and yes, they are little niggles. Those aside, it is a magnificent machine there is no doubt about that and I actually feel quite humbled by the technology that has gone into it. :Grin:

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good to hear she's growing on you James. Our resident Legend expert and owner @mattyg may be able to advise you on some of the issues/niggles you are having.
    Generally we tend to hear only good things about the ride on Legend, so hopefully these are just niggles that can be repaired/resolved.

Please do keep us updated with your adventures with your Legend. We do have a fair few Legend owners on the forum, however, we don't tend to hear much from them as I assume generally
    Legend is a reliable beast so owners tend not to have any questions to ask LOL

Would be good to stir up some activity in the Legend section :Smile:

JamesVR likes this.
  5. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi JamesVR

My Legend is also graphite pearle & looks beautiful when clean (which isn’t very often as I drive on a major dual carriageway full of lorries). I too sometimes find the ride a little firm on some roads but I think that is the price to pay for the excellent handling that these cars are capable of. Even if you don't race around it gives more safety. I made a point of getting a model with the optional 18" alloys as I really like the look but expect that they make the ride firmer. I love the car in every other respect & so forgive it that. I certainly would not want to part with it.

Have you checked the tyre pressures because if over inflated that won't help for comfort? Regarding the fuel, you need minimum 95 RON. I'm considering trying 99 on the next fill up just to see if I perceive any difference.

Rattles drive me nuts. luckily I'm free of them at present. There are some posts on here with help in tracing them. I think that because the engine is so quiet any other sounds are more noticeable. I am conscious of the fan running. On the other cars I've owned, the engine sound probably drowned the fan noise.

Let us know how you get on with it. I hope you learn to forgive the car any negatives. There aren’t many on these & everything else is so superior that it tends to exaggerate anything you feel is not up to expectations.

JamesVR likes this.
  6. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

James
    Thanks for your replies, I appreciate them, and very good to hear from other Legend owners. I'm sure I'm not the only person who becomes incredibly attached to their cars, and parting with my old one after so many years was a wrench. You get to know them like they are part of you. I should probably get out more, but it felt like I'd lost an old friend. However, the good news is that my Legend is growing on me by the second, every time I drive it I like it more.

The ride, yes I will say it is definitely the firmest car I've ever had, but what I'm coming to appreciate is how well damped it is. My old car would crash over ridges and drain covers etc. but you wouldn't feel a lot, the Legend gives you a firm nudge, but without any clanging of suspension noise. I am hyper sensitive to noise, so this is actually a good thing, and I'm getting to love the handling, not that I'm in any way a boy racer, it just feels so secure and sure footed. It's as though I could take on those goats that live on the side of vertical cliffs and give them a run for their money.

The current tyres are Yokohama. I don't know what people think about those. I may change them for Michellin Primacy 3 or some other premium brand as this could possibly take just a bit more of the edge off the firmness. The current tyres might well be over inflated, it's just come from the dealer so they probably did put air in.

I think I've traced all the trim creak noises that were driving me mad. One is the pocket on the bottom of the passenger door, if I pull it out and leave it in the open position, the noise is gone. The other on the drivers side is where the cover on the part of the seat belt assembly that is attached to the right hand side of the seat rubs very slightly on the seat. I think a piece of gauze wrapped round will cure that. The rear window blind rattles when down, but not when extended. It's really minor, but that constant tick tick tick is irritating. Not sure how to deal with that one other than just put the blind up, but it really is a very minor thing that my bat ears pick up on.

Engine wise, the sound of an engine has always been of utmost importance, but what I'm loving about my Legend is that you really wouldn't know it had an engine. It's virtually inaudible at idle, and then moving off you have nothing more than a very distant, slight, audible sensation of mechanical activity, but TBH the fan on my computer sitting here is louder than that, and then once on the move there is noting to hear on the engine front, at least not the way I drive it. All you have is well damped tyre roar, and to me it's like being in a luxury private jet. The illumination of the cabin at night is superb, subtle blue glows come from everywhere, every switch and button is illuminated. Makes you feel like you don't want to get out.

All in all, I have to say that this car is shaping up to be unimaginably brilliant and I can't quite believe that I've got one, and I haven't got to give it back, it's mine! Right now I can't understand why anyone who was in the market for a car like this would overlook it because of the badge on the front. They have no idea what the're missing out on, and probably will never be able to buy again in the UK, unless Honda has another go at selling them. I could care less about badges, it's the quality of what you buy that's important. I've had a BMW 7 series, and a couple of 3 series in the past and they were nothing compared to this Legend. :Grin:

Sam-Legend and FirstHonda like this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hearing that has made my day ... thanks !! :Grin::OTT:

Always knew they were a cut above the rest but actually hearing that from someone who has owned the apparent alternatives, confirms that understanding nicely.

JamesVR likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Soon you'll be referring to your Legend 'her' and not 'it'.
    That's the point of no return, when you are a certified Honda nutcase, just like us :Happy:

FirstHonda and JamesVR like this.
  9. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

James
    Erm actually I have been deliberately writing IT very firmly, I told myself NOPE I'm not going to do it, I'm not going to say "her" people will think I'm a bit sad. However, I can see that I'm very much amongst friends here, people who love their cars. From now on it will be "her" then!

AccordCU2 likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I knew you'd found your new home.
    Anyone that buys a Legend does so because they have discovered, and appreciate true quality.
    Anyone that joins HK and posts more than just questions for help is a true lover of Hondas ! :Drinks:

JamesVR likes this.
  11. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

James
    Actually, this is my third Honda. In 1985 I had a 1978 model Civic Hondamatic which quite often required a great deal of persuasion to start in the mornings, a bit like me, and it would frequently just cut out at junctions or on the main road or anywhere. Once it conked out right outside a BMW dealership and I had to go in and ask if anyone would please help me to push it off the side of this very narrow and busy road. Very begrudgingly two salesmen came out and helped but they said they didn't want "that" left there for too long. Then in 1998 I had a brand new Civic 1.6 ES CVT. Amazing car, that CVT transmission is perfect for smaller engines and it was a great car to drive. I was going to go for a Prelude and arranged a test drive in a 2.2 version but when I arrived the car was nowhere to be seen and the dealer said they had no record of my arrangement, so that was the last of my Honda experience until now. Friends in America had an Accord V6 Coupe which I absolutely loved. Shame that V6 Coupes are rare over here. There was one for sale on Autotrader not so long ago, I was tempted, as it was a one of a kind 30K mileage 2000 model, but ultimately I'm so glad I waited and went for a Legend.

Come to think of it, I do have a question. Among the copious amounts of paperwork that I have from the previous owners of my Legend there is a note on a service document that there was slight play in the front ball joints. It is unclear if anything was done about it, but I have noticed that when I drive over those special rough corrugated road surfaces that you often get coming up to roundabouts or pedestrian crossings, I can hear a knocking/thocking sound from the front suspension. Could it be that the ball joints need replacing? I guess the only way to be sure would to take it to my local dealer, but if anyone recognizes what I've described, that would be a help. Maybe it's entirely normal on a Legend, I don't know. :Wink:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

How handy are you with mechanical work yourself ? You could check the wheel bearing yourself by getting car jacked up and checking for play.

I'll post up a video later if you fancy having a go ?

Last edited: Sunday 11th May, 2014
  13. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

James
    :Laughing: I wish I was handy, but I'm just not. Would still be interested to see the video though, I'm really interested in all the technical aspect just don't know how to do any of it.

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@JamesVR There are lots of DIY vids on youtube.
    Some are rubbish, but a discerning search will unveil many gems.
    Worth a punt if you've got the time.

There are also many, very good, DIY Guides on here.
    They are mainly 7th & 8th Generation Accords, but the principle/procedures are the same.

JamesVR likes this.
  15. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You'll need a roll of self-adhesive felt tape & a panel pry for the rattles; it's fine in warm weather, if that's any consolation.

There's a downloadable TSB on Acurazine as a guide, but you need to yank off the ends of the elm tree and line the edges - & the sides of the air vents.

Also, stuff some beside the centre console where it overlaps the silvery bits & side panels of the HMI control panel.

The fuse covers in the kick plates too.

I also found the passenger door window switch needed some; the silver bit is a separate part from the black bit & they move. Duh!

Put silicone lubricant on the door seals & the rubber feet of the armrest.

This car may be magnificent, but in the depths of winter, those squeaks can make you want to kill it. It's so out of place & the worst Honda I've ever known for that. Stuff like that drives people back to boring German rubbish.

Ball joints are a weakness on these (they weigh a ton - point eight!) and are expensive to replace.

SH-AWD & second gear on a wet roundabout make it all worthwhile!

16. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

PS - my glovebox cover hinge was also loose - pinch it up.

17. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

James
    Fantastic info, Blues Legend, thank you! I've already noticed that on nice warm days when it's been parked in the sun, no rattles or squeaks, but on cold mornings it's a different story. Looks like a trip to the hardware store for me then. If I know what is squeaking or rattling it doesn't bug me half as much as when I can't find it and don't know what's doing it. In the past I've found a quick squirt of WD40 can work wonders as well. My old car was a 10 year old Cadillac CTS, and it had not so much as one noise out of place, hot days or freezing, the interior trim didn't make a sound. However if you touched anything it creaked and groaned and felt like it was going to fall off. :Smile:

18. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hardware Schmardware:

ANTI SQUEAK ANTI RATTLE SELF ADHESIVE FELT TAPE 25mm x 3m | eBay

If you (or the passenger) jam your digit between the wood & the plastic over bumps, you can feel the movement and the noise stops; wood is naturally stiffer. Ooo-er missus! A good tug & it comes off.

And other Finbarr Saunders references...

I've not completely eliminated it at the passenger side; the real elm was replaced by plood (like the armrest hockey sticks) on the KB2s. That wasn't cheapskatedness by Acura, it is a material with a similar frequency to the rest of the dash.

19. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

20. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi James congrats on buying a legend one of the most underrated cars ever I think.I know what you mean about the ride my car has the 18 inch wheels as we'll and it is a harsh ride but it makes up for it ten fold in the twisty bits. Stick with the yokohamas as honda intended as in my opinion the handling is ruined once you change these. My car really only has the noisy blind and glovebox both of them have been fixed but I know what you mean about being annoying. When I bought my car for the first week or so I was thinking what the hell have I done but after a little while you soon get used to it. I tend to drive really slowly most of the time but love to floor it from time to time just to hear the engine.

If you think it's slow in auto try a throttle reset turn the ignition on and hold the throttle down for about a minute then go for a drive. The legend adapts to the way you drive so if you drive like your grandad It anticipates this in the gear changes. This procedure really sharpens it up.

if you need any advice please do not hesitate to ask

Matt

JamesVR likes this.