ICE & HFT My premium audio system speakers

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by julekasMobilek, Thursday 28th Jul, 2016.

1. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Hello, i just started a thread to show you how my speaker looks. My car is 2009 so no warranty i think.
    It is so strange, that car is not very old but the speakers condition is awful, here take a look:
    2016-07-27 20.48.27. 2016-07-27 20.48.33. 2016-07-27 20.48.35. 2016-07-27 20.52.14. 2016-07-27 20.52.04.

It is the passenger side, but i think all speaker should be replaced?

I have never modified any car audio system, do you have some advice, obviously i will go to aftermarket, because OEM speakers could fail again, and also is very very expensive to buy from dealer.

Also for further work just to share for you the measurements of front doors and speaker itself:
    2016-07-27 20.53.07.

This is depth to the door
    2016-07-27 21.12.42.
    This one with the window rolled down all the way
    2016-07-27 21.12.50.

Here you can see the bottom of the window
    2016-07-27 21.13.35.

Here is the clips, if you will try to remove the panel:
    2016-07-27 21.10.21.
    2016-07-27 21.10.10.
    2016-07-27 21.10.01.
    2016-07-27 21.09.56.

Dimitar Dinchev likes this.
  2. saulenas Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Saulenas London
    Hi mate. I have same thing on purchase honda. so I change it after loads conversation between dealers avoid change it. halfords have good quality and reasonable price

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My focals gave fantastic bass out the door speakers of my 8th Generation and had great vocals too. Some how in storage they got damaged so I'm after some new ones for my CR-V. I also changed the tweeters which pop out to some mb quart and wired them to the seperate xover of the focal coaxials.

Pioneer and JBL are a safe option but I'm after something better like focal or mb quart. I've never heard Hertz speakers but the do seem popular.

If anyone can recommend speakers that sound great with the Honda stereo I think that would be quite a good list to have.

4. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Guys i have confused which speakers do i need, and will they fit to my system, i have premium audio system, so it includes:
    Front center speaker (1x speaker, 8cm)
    Tweeter and MID woofer in front doors (4x speakers, 2tweeters and 2 woofers 17cm)
    MID woofers in rear doors (2x woofers 16,5cm)
    2 satellite speakers on rear pillars (2x speakers, 8cm)
    and Sub-woofer in the boot (1x speaker, 20cm)

So the bad ones are those 4 mid speakers, 16,5cm so my options are:

Alpine sxe-17c2 ALPINE SXE-17C2 - 6-1/2" (16.5cm DIN) coaxial 2-way speakers
    Alpine sxe-1725s 6-1/2" (16.5cm DIN) Coaxial 2-Way Speaker - Alpine - SXE-1725S
    Alpine sxe-17cs ALPINE SXE-17CS - 6-1/2" (16.5cm DIN) component 2-way speakers

Kenwood kfc-e1755 E series • KFC-E1755 Features • Kenwood Europe
    Kenwood kfc-e1765 Regular Speakers • KFC-E1765 Features • Kenwood UK
    Kenwood kfc-e170p Subs & Component Speakers • KFC-E170P Features • Kenwood UK

Pioneer ts-g1731i TS-G1731i | Pioneer
    Pioneer ts-g1732i TS-G1732i | Pioneer
    Pioneer ts-g173ci TS-G173Ci | Pioneer

As you can see the BOLD ones are without tweeter inside, not bold ones, are with tweeter in the middle of speaker, so i think, that my system also comes without tweeter in speaker, so i need to buy the BOLD ones?
    What are the differences between these 9 options? All of them are 16.cm in diameter, wattage is pretty similar etc...
    i do not know anything about audio tech in car :Smile:

Thank you

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    @chris2982 is our audio expert. He should be able to suggest you the best solution

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hondas official upgraded speakers for your car are coaxial with a tweeter in the middle.

You can use anything you've listed. Obviously the ones with a seperate tweeter take a little bit more effort to fit but should sound better.

7. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    So how it turns out? Are speakers with integrated tweeters have the same connecting, two cables? Or should i remove my original tweeters (disconnect them) where they are near my side mirrors?

8. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    If you already have the housing for a tweeter it would make sense to switch out the damaged mids and replace them with a decent set of components ( with separate tweeter ). So upgrading both mids and tweeters at the same time

All the ones you have linked are all perfectly fine for a standard upgrade.
    Will be also worth having a look at brands such as Helix, Rockford Fosgate and Gladen... you will pay a little bit more but the quality will be much higher.

May be something of interest here:
    Home - Allwoods Audio
    Mono, 12 items in Allwoods Audio store on eBay!

Chris.

9. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    So i think i decided, for fronts i will buy a component setup (with seperate tweeters), because i have already have a place for them), here is OEM tweeters:
    I did some info, i have found that in the box of component speakers i will find thing socalled crossover? Should i connect it, if yes, where?

2016-07-27 21.10.37. 2016-07-27 21.10.45. 2016-05-20 17.14.57.

and for rear (i think that rear speakers are also will be damaged) i will buy a coaxel setup, with tweeters in the middle.

10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You'll need some honda speakers connectors. Ebay irem 291763968993. Check theyre the right ones. I have them in my CR-V.

Once plugged in, the two wires go to your xover. From there you'll have 2 sets of cable that go to your woofer and tweeter

11. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    So the old tweeter cables should be disconnected? Take a look to my third attached photo, you can see tweeters location

12. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

The crossover makes sure the correct frequency goes to the correct driver so definitely a yes to using it.

You can still use the original tweeter cables if you wish..
    Just feed your head unit to the crossover then the crossover to the individual drivers.

13. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Thank you very much. You just make things clearer.

My head unit (original honda) will definitely will have two pair of cables one for tweeters, one for woofer. So i cannot just simply wire up xover.

There is a small possibility, that honda also uses some sort of xover, then this will be fine, just change a xover and wire them up.

14. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

The head unit will not have cables for both the tweeter and the woofer.. The will only be one positive and negative which first goes to the crossover, , which will have 2 outputs , one with postive and negative for woofer and one with posative and negative for tweeter.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hope this helps

Screenshot_2016-07-29-14-21-36.

15. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Perfect. Just bought alpines:
    IMG_20160729_185830. IMG_20160729_185805.

16. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I fitted my cross overs in the door behind the woofer. I then fed a new speaker cable up for the tweeter. That way I could put the car back to stock. Its very easy to do so id definately do that. My mb quart tweeters are very shallow so I popped the honda ones out and secured the new ones with blue tack.

17. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Hello, guys, before installing my speakers i have to manage somehow to fabricate adapter rings from the old speakers, anyway another idea come up to my mind is to isolate my doors with a sound isolating material, it is perfect time for that. What do you think about that?

Another little request will be for @jimjams, can you copy here premium audio system wiring for all speakers to head unit?
    As i know all four doors have the same mid woofers, so they are all component speakers, so front doors have tweeters, what about back doors? Are they just components without tweeters, or maybe tweeters are the satellites ones in the boot/back? That's why i need to look at speaker diagrams to make sure.

If i plan to change broken rear doors mid woofers (if they're faulty, torn out), so i must know what to buy, components or a little bit cheaper options is go for coaxels...

Thank you

18. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    ^ no problem :Wink:

I've already uploaded 7th Generation in a thread somewhere, so here are the 8th Generation (CU3 but should be same in the petrol cars)

CU3_diagram_38.JPG CU3_diagram_39.JPG CU3_diagram_40.JPG CU3_diagram_41.JPG
    CU3_diagram_42.JPG

19. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    From 38 diagram, i am correct, if i disconect a B21, B9 and B8 cables in B sector, i will shut off a lady, where she tells where i suppose to make turn or in how much meters there will be a corner? :Grin:

20. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    yep, on navi unit in diagram 42 sector A , connections C7, C13, C14 :Wink: