Daily Driver My ride

1st Generation (2004-2011) vehicle added by Mo hussain, Friday 23rd Sep, 2016

1. Mo hussain Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mo Oldham
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Mo hussain, I'm a veteran LPG installer. Looking at your LPG installation I have some major concerns.

Aside from being a messy installation (which in itself isn't a problem), from what I can see in the pictures the reducer is installed very high up, some parts of the reducer look like they will be sat higher than the highest level of the water system. What this means is that air will be trapped in the the parts that are higher than the water level. With the engine running, this air will get pushed around the engine and could potentially cause pockets of heat to build up.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that this is not a well engineered installation, there's a high risk of getting head gasket failure at some point in the future.

3. Mo hussain Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mo Oldham
    @SpeedyGee, the installation of lpg was done by Leeds lpg. The company is uk lpg registered, I don't know much about lpg. The engineer at the company has 20 years experience ( that's what he said anyway). The company has given lifetime warranty. What do you suggest I do???.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

This is exactly what I expected you to say. I expected you to say that they are a large company that do a lot of LPG conversions and are UK registered. I could also have guessed that they gave you lifetime guarantee.

I can tell you that they did the install in one day and used the cheapest of components.

None of the above actually mean much, think of it as if they were builders. A builder may have been doing building work for 20 years but still does not mean that they have done good quality jobs for 20 years. If they were doing cowboy jobs 20 years ago, then they could still be doing cowboy jobs now, right ?

Being UKLPG registered means nothing other than that they pay a membership fee to UKLPG. Being a UKLPG member does not mean you do quality installations. These one day places also flaunt the way they use the Registration, so what will happen generally is one person (usually the owner himself) will get UKLPG certified. He will then train cheaper labour to actually to the work. UKLPG however, state that each person doing the install should get certified by them to do installs, this evidently is never the case at these one day places. So they get away with calling themselves UKLPG certified when in reality there installations should be nullified on the grounds that the actual person doing the install has not been certified. I'm generalising here, I don't know if Leeds LPG do this.

Lifetime guarantee, the LPG components that are likely to fail are cheap anyway, especially they ones that they have used ! Most LPG components have a long manufacturers warranty, like 2 years or so. So these guys count on that, if a component fails with in 2 years, they replace it and get an exchange from the manufacturer. If it fails after that, they mostly count on the fact the car has moved on to another owner, if that isnt the case they will try and wriggle out of replacing the part at their expense or in some cases just take the hit . Again I'm generalising I don't know how Leeds LPG would deal with a warranty claim after 2 year manufacturers warranty is over. I guess they are big enough to just take the hit.

What the Lifetime warranty doesn't cover is problems outside of the LPG system. So lets take this case where they have mounted the reducer too high, let's say 9 months down the line the head gasket went because of it. If you took the car to them they will say : "We installed the LPG system 9 months ago, it ran fine, it's got nothing to do with your engine blowing the head gasket, that's caused by an engine issue." The guy repairing your engine at some other garage will have no idea about LPG systems so he won't link the two together, so you will never actually get to know that real cause was the bad LPG install.

Let me put it another way, I converted an Accord just a few weeks ago, I spent over £500 in parts alone on it. These guys are charging just over £600 including VAT, labour and parts. Where do you think the savings lie that allow them to do this ? I spent about 20 hours, in terms of business days, that's 3 and bit days to complete the install !

If you'd come here and asked for advice before getting the installation done, the very first thing I would have said is avoid the One Day Install shops at all costs !

So what do I suggest ... well first lets see some pics of the engine bay, showing the whole bay, let's see if there is a problem there or not. Take a few pics from different angles of the whole engine bay. Get one pic that is taken from right in front of the car but with camera low down looking across the engine to try and an idea of level of the reducer.

Let's see those pics and take it from there.
    - - - Updated - - -
    By the way there is complete thread on LPG questions, have read of it LPG Conversion Questions (Engine & Gearbox - )

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hmm. Now that you have already paid and the work is done I think the best thing you can do is try and get as much of it sorted as you can with advice from @SpeedyGee. I don't know anything about LPG but would trust whatever he says.

By the sounds of it get that reducer lowered if it is indeed mounted higher than recommended so your FR-V can serve you for long :Smile:

7. Mo hussain Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mo Oldham
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 25th Sep, 2016
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's very high. The cap on the radiator is roughly level with the coil packs. The bulk of the reducer is sat higher that that level, which is not good.

There's also another issue :-

Mo-FRV.

When the engine is running, it rocks back and forth as load is put on and taken off. The vapour pipe though has been cable tied to the bulkhead. The movement in the engine and this fixed pipe will eventually lead to fatigue and the pipe splitting somewhere.

Get them to mount the reducer lower and secure the vapour pipe in a different manor. Overall it's a typical shoddy one day job. Get these two issues resolved and the system should work but just not be of a very high installation standard.

Don't let them fob you off with some lame explanation, the reducer is mounted wrongly, end of argument !

The highest point of the reducer should be at most be at the same level as the top of the radiator.

legend-ary likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hi @Mo hussain, just wondering if you managed to get the LPG system issues resolved or not.

10. Mo hussain Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mo Oldham
    Hi @SpeedyGee
    No I didn't get the lpg system sorted, been busy had few family issues which were more important than the car. Which I have to sort out b4 anything else. Had to cancel appointment with Simon but will call him when am ready to see him. Take care @speedgGee .

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Fair enough :Thumbup: