Service & Maintenance My VSA warning light came on today...

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by GfK, Saturday 24th Sep, 2016.

1. GfK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Was out in the car earlier today, and noticed that the VSA warning light had come on, together with the EML, and the little warning triangle light that comes on when you manually switch off VSA. Wasn't driving in any manner that would justify VSA doing something.

It was permanently on, until I stopped the car and switched the engine off. When I started up again, the EML was still on - I assumed, because there would now be a DTC stored. The other lights had gone off. Continued another 15 mins or so and the car drove absolutely fine, except for the EML being on. Got to where I was going and the car was off for about 20 minutes. When I started it up again the EML was still on, but it went off after a couple of minutes.

I don't have a code reader to check for stored DTCs, but is there something I should be worried about here? I got rid of my Mondeo cos it was nothing but trouble and I've seen enough EML warning lights to last me a lifetime.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    it could be the dreaded 66-1 on a diesel car, failed nearside rear ABS sensor unless you do some diagnostics to see what its moaning about.

3. GfK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

66-1? Don't understand that, but its not a diesel - 2004 Civic Type-S. Maybe I should have said that in the first place. :Smile:

What's a good code reader to get? When I had the Mondy I used an F-Super which connects a laptop to OBD2 port but it only works with certain Fords. A bit overkill really - just want something simple that will tell me which DTCs are stored, and what they mean.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @GfK if you add your car to the Club Garage, we will all instant see what car you have as it will appear at the bottom of each post you make.

So it helps us to help you.

GfK likes this.
  5. GfK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Added!

So, the code reader. Is any ODB2 one OK? Will it allow me to determine which ABS sensor is at fault? They're not that pricey from what I've seen but no point replacing all four if only one is acting up.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Right you have a petrol so ignore the DTC 66-1 which affects diesel cars. Generic OBD2 reader will not interrogate the ABS modules you need to have a mate with a snap on a reputable reader. or pay a garage see what its doing.

7. GfK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, this problem seems to be getting progressively worse. The other day when it was raining the VSA light was coming on almost immediately every time I started the car, and when the EML is on it won't go over 4K RPM. I figure the car has gone into limp mode due to the failure of the VSA/ABS.

It's in the garage tomorrow morning for them to do some diagnostics.

8. honda_saj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom saj east london
    you need a good scanner to read error codes or HDS for a detail diagnostic
    - - - Updated - - -
    VSA will not cause EML light to come on

9. GfK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting you should say that. Had the car in the garage and they said there are two faults - one to do with the VSA, and one to do with the accelerator (I mentioned weeks ago I thought it felt a little too twitchy, but just put it down to ten years of driving diesels). He seemed to think there may be an issue with the throttle body, and couldn't rule out whether the two errors were related i.e. the accelerator issue somehow causing the VSA one. Because both warning lights do come on at the exact same time. If the VSA won't put the EML on, then the accelerator problem is doing that, and triggering the VSA thing at the same time.

It's back in in a few days as there wasn't time to get to the bottom of it yesterday.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    A TPS error can cause VSA light to come on.

11. honda_saj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

its common for the throttle posistion sensor to play up on these honda, what code did you have, has throttle body been removed and cleaned with sesnor cleaner ? I removed mine and cleaned with spray cleaner.
    - - - Updated - - -
    due to this you will VSA errors as well

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Just get yourself an OBD2 reader from ebay or amazon (they can cost anywhere from £8 to over £100 - just DON'T insert the DVD / CD that comes with the cheap Chinese OBD2 readers into your PCs as they ALWAYS have viruses / malware on them), and read the codes - best option before taking it any further.

honda_saj likes this.
  13. honda_saj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

roger69 very good advice every car owner should have an obdii adapter or scanner as standard practice, Admins can we not do a deal for all forum members ?

GfK likes this.
  14. GfK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right - it was finally in the garage again yesterday (Wednesday).

There were two error codes - from the invoice it says "037-14 accelerator position"... and I can't remember what the other one was. I don't know if 037-14 is the actual error code or some internal reference thing but that's what it said. Apparently they've cleaned the throttle body plate which was in a bit of a state, and realigned or recalibrated (or something) the accelerator position sensor. Whatever they've done, it drives much smoother than before, MPG has gone up from ~34 to almost 40. Driven about 30 miles today with no problems or errors.

I do definitely need a code reader. I had an F-Super for the mondeo which basically lets you connect to a laptop and read/clear error codes as well as monitor a ton of other info and also lets you recode injectors. But it only worked with Fords.

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    HDS will do the same for your Honda.

honda_saj likes this.