Suspension, Steering and Brakes Mysterious rattle from front driver side

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by MarkCashion, Monday 4th Jul, 2016.

1. MarkCashion New Member Getting Started

England Mark Jersey
    Hi all,

My 2006 CR-V (VTEC es, done 61,000 miles) has suddently developed an annoying rattle (generaly on pot holes and poor surfaces) where is sounds like a spanner is being shaken around in a paint tin and the noise seems to be coming from the area at the top front driver side wheel. The local honda dealer has had it a couple of times and although they can hear it on a test drive, they cannot find a problem when it is on the ramps. they checked the suspension, shocks and CV joints and tightened all of the bolts they can reach but it has made no difference. They are satisifed that it is not a safety/drivability issue.

Their next suggestion is to 'take the front of the car off' to try and trace the noise but that will be expensive.

The prevous owner advised that it had a new gatter fitted on the driver side shock 8 months ago although Honda don't think that will make a difference.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue or can think of anythink that may be the culprate.

Thanks

Mark

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    First thing I would check is the exhaust heat shield. This can rust around the bolts that hold it together and then it starts to rattle about.

legend-ary likes this.
  3. MarkCashion New Member Getting Started

England Mark Jersey
    Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at the weekend. Whatever the noise is, it has the local dealer stumped. If it is something as simple as the heatshield I'll be annoyed after all this...

4. MarkCashion New Member Getting Started

England Mark Jersey
    I stuck my head under the car after work and what I think might be the heat shield (the shiny sheet above the exhaust in the photo) gives off a good old rattle when I knock it so we may have a winner.

Attached Files: