Engine & Gearbox Near Side Drive Shaft

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by chesjak, Monday 28th May, 2012.

1. chesjak New Member Getting Started

Hi Guys

The car has developed a vibration on the left front as if it is the wheels out of balance. Not that and neither is it the wheel warped or disc warped. Its done 108K miles. Pretty poor reliability since I don't thrash the car.
    Jacked it up and noticed that the drive shaft near to the inboard assembly unit has a bit of play on it. Not from end to end but if I lift it up and down. Not a great deal, probably about 3mm either way.

I have read about the drive shaft being a weak point on this car so I am pretty sure that this is the problem with the vibration which I get all the way up the speed range from about 30mph but getting worse between 60> 75mph and tailing of at arpound 80mph

Has anyone got any info for me as to how I can check to make sure that this is the problem and if so where is the best (cheapest) place to get hold of a unit or ideally a repair kit. My 2 local Honda garages had a look and said they couldn't find anything!!!!

If I take the old one out of situe, will I be able to get it back in whilst the new one is delivered?

Any help would be apreciated.

Regards

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They will be the inner bearings on the driveshaft which always go on diesels first. This is quite normal for high mileage cars . Remapped cars will wear them faster.

3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    9 times out of 10 it is the inner CV joints that take the wear and not the full shaft. the nearside inner CV joint gets the majority of the engine torque and wears the quickest. price up a genuine nearside inner CV joint.

4. pixiehex Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I had exactly the same problem but on the other side! If there is 3mm play on the inner drive shaft joint then this is the cause of your vibration. yes its an easy job to remove the driveshaft if you have the right tools! once you have the driveshaft out you should always replace the little snap ring that holds it in the transmission never try and re use the old one! they cost a couple of quid! It would also pay to get the drive shaft oil seal for about a tenner and replace that whilst you are in there as it can be easily disturbed and damaged.
    You can buy a re manufactured shaft from any reputable firm, I got mine from car parts direct uk an absolute top company, sent it out to me in 2 days came with 24000 mile 2 year warranty for £241 you have to send the old unit back to them in 14 days.
    Hope this helps!
    John...

5. tals Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Miles Romsey
    Hi

I just had the offside drive shaft replaced. After I noticed the car was shaking under load (feels like the car is out of balance) - but doesn't feel like the wheels are out of balance if that makes sense. The Honda garage recommended both drive shafts to be replaced and quote £1200!!!! I then checked with my local garage who initially quoted £500 but after having a look at the car they said it was only the offside shaft and they also noticed another issue with one of the suspension mounts. All in £400.

I only experienced shaking under load - car was stable otherwise and their was definite play in the joint so probably worth getting a second opinion - not quite sure how much play would be normal.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    So the shaking only started after the offside drive shaft was replaced ?

Was the replacement shaft a new or used part ?

7. tals Premium Member Club Supporter

Is that in response to my post? - mine is smooth now the work one has been replaced. Although I am sore at Honda dealerships quote - unlikely the car will see a dealership again, which makes sense due to it's age
    - - - Updated - - -
    work = worn (can't see a way of editing posts)

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  10. tals Premium Member Club Supporter

I think I'm getting mixed up with another poster. For me my car had the shake under load or acceleration was getting quite serious . Honda advised both drive Shafts 1200 pounds. A local garage advised they could only feel give on the off side shaft and a minor suspension part needed replacing. Both shaft and part done for 400 pounds, car all sorted and nice and smooth. Hoping I can get the car to 200k (on 160) which seems feasible as it still feels very nice

11. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
  12. tals Premium Member Club Supporter

Thank you, regarding the juddering that can occur on acceleration at any speeds, when I was researching it one particularly bad case had it juddering in second gear onwards. In my case the range had extended to pretty much any acceleration third gear onwards, not fun at all.

13. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Strangely I have had a number of problems resulting in juddering. Does the juddering change speed with road speed or engine speed?

14. tals Premium Member Club Supporter

For me it seemed just juddering almost like a wheel was unstable and only under acceleration or load (up a hill). I did see someone posted about vibration issues being down to a warped disc brake. The drive shaft seems to be a fairly straight forward diagnosis for a garage. Took mine just a few minutes on the ramp so worth either checking yourself or taking to a garage to check