General Need a new Radiator

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by 2.4 8thGen, Saturday 12th Dec, 2015.

1. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    As the title says I need a new Rad :Frown:
    Iv been loosing a very small amount of coolent for 2 weeks now and thought it was the new silicon hoses.
    But went on a long run yesterday down the motorway and have traced the leak when stopped at the bottom driver side.
    It make sence now as a few weeks ago in all the high winds I drove over a fallen branch and it hit the car in the exact spot.
    Just been onto Honda bristol as need to get it fixed right away.
    But a new rad is not available until the end of Jan:Ohdear:
    What are you thoughts of using radweld as a temp solution to keep the car on the road until the rad turns up.

2. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
  3. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cheers John my thoughts as well about rad weld.
    I'm only loosing it when going motorway so will carry some coolent and top up when needed

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sorry to read that Brett.
    I'm really not keen on additives that gunge up the rest of the coolant system.

If you have to use her, and the leak is small then just keep topping her up with coolant. It really just depend on the rate of loss.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It must be a pin prick hole Nels as I can only see dripping when the engine is hot after motorway driving.
    The dealer said as mine is a rare car rads are not off the shelf and will probably be made to order as per the wait.
    Also additive are not guaranteed to work and might cause damage else where in the system.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Where the leak is was unlucky if the twig did hit it as there is only about an inch of the rad showing under the AC condenser where it must of hit

6. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Poole
    If you can see where the leak is it would be worth trying to seal it with some plumbers mait. I've used it previously whilst waiting on a part for a boiler that was leaking quite profusely and it stopped it completely.

7. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pauljdh Belper
    Id be more concerned that Honda need that long to get a radiator.

8. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I think it's a case of supply and demand as there are lots of 8th Generation diesels but only a handful of 2.4
    - - - Updated - - -
    Good shout with the plumbers Mait but it's almost impossible to pin point where the exact hole is as the fins are in the way.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Hi Brett.

I once fixed a leaking rad rad by removing it, laying it flat and then putting a whole load of araldite over the finned area where the leak appeared to be, then played a hairdryer over the setting araldite to make it very runny so it penetrated into the leaking area. Once set, this successfully became a permanent fix.

hondream, Nels and SpeedyGee like this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Very clever!

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I would try and patch it up @2.4 8thGen, whilst you wait for a new one to arrive.

I think there are only something like 200 8th Generation 2.4 litre Accords about.

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Diesel rads are unavailable at the moment as well.

13. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Gaz is this an underlined problem with rads failing?

14. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No.

15. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Good to hear bud as I said there probably don't see many failed rads I'm just unlucky

16. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pauljdh Belper
    I accept that but that lead time infers that its coming from Japan....Honda UK / Europe should have a radiator somewhere? Smacks off we've sold the last one we don't care that much...

John Dickson likes this.
  17. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It won't be as simple as that. I doubt it will come from Japan either.

18. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

In all fairness I don't use Bristol Honda much as always use HH.
    But the less I drive the car the better so a long trip up north is not on the cards.
    Bristol Honda give me a good price to supply and fit so its not there fault the parts are not available.
    I think it's a case a rad is not a normal service item.

19. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's a normal crash item though. So it'll be a manufacturing issue. Short supply of components or production delay of some sort etc

20. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Seems a bit of a cause for concern that a simple component like a radiator isn't readily available, especially given its vulnerable position meaning it is one of the first things to get damaged in a crash, at risk of stone damage etc.

What else will be on a ridiculous lead time next?

The cynic in me wonders if it is further revenge from HUK on those that bought Accords. We've killed the Accord so now we'll make owners' lives difficult by making them wait eons for simple parts.

It's a radiator it shouldn't take so long to order in. It's modernised Victorian technology - hardly a product at the cutting edge of automotive innovation is it?

Zebster likes this.