General Need advice for cleaning my dash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Abbey, Monday 18th Jun, 2012.

1. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    Hi all! I just recently bought a 2012 Honda Accord EX, and love her to death. But I realize she's going to need a good cleaning soon, and would appreciate knowing what the best thing to use is from the first cleaning. What have you all used before? I've used ArmorAll in the past. Is that the best solution now or is there something better? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just use a damp cloth never bothered with shiny products. A quick one for the UK guys do we get ArmorAll in the UK?

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I use Poorboys Natural Look, but haven't used it on the Accord yet. Is the best that I've used, smells nice too!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    I love any product that has the word natural in the title. Do you know what this product contains? Are there anything considered harmful? As my daughter's skin is super sensitive. She often touches the dash. And, I've found some products rub off and cause irritation.

6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not sure about products but I always vacuum it first. If you use clothes you can sometimes just move the dust around.

7. Nevyn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's all I've done so far. The 8th Generation has a softer matt finish and I'm loathe to put 'product' on it in case it spoils it. It's certainly never going to see anything remotely resembling "Back to Black"...

8. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    That's probably the best solution, considering you never know what's really in these products anyway or what effect they could have on the car interior.

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Back to black, isn't that for wheels?

I'm not a fan of a shiny dash I find the glare difficult to drive with on a sunny day. I just stick to a wet chamois leather. It seems to pick the dust up quite easily.

10. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've also heard of Poorboys in a favorable light. Have to admit to using ArmoRAll on the cheaper Hyundai dash but the Euro will only see a damp chammy. one dealer equated ArmorAll to baby oil !

11. Nevyn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not necessarily. Back in the day, before body coloured bumpers and trim became fashionable it was great for bringing the shine back to faded plastic and rubber. I've seen (smelt?) it used on the shinier interior plastics of years gone by. Used car dealers love it!

Precisely what I used the other day:Thumbup:

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just use a damp chamois on my Type-S then a dry microfibre just to take away any smudges etc. Don't llke smelly shiny stuff it spoils the looks and the finish. And why spoil something so beautiful.

13. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I remember them days, just, restoring faded grey trim to good as new in seconds. Apparently baby oil was was good for that too. Wouldn't want to use either on my interior though.

14. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    Baby oil is a petroleum based product and contains various fragrances and moisturizers. Who knows what effect that would have on the car's interior. Plus, baby oil attracts dust and lint that is in the air.

Ichiban likes this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    spot on you want to be using natural based cleaners on leathers , minimising the damage (Prevention) in the first place is better than cure.

16. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    'Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure'. And, so many people forget that and just slap the next trendy (advertised) product on their car interior. Or, use the same thing their Dad used, cause it was good in his day. Considering what we all pay for vehicles these days, it's worth taking the time to be careful and select a product that won't cause damage.

Nevyn likes this.