General Need advice without my Civic hearing this

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RogerH69, Tuesday 29th Dec, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    First off - word of this gets back to my Civic and I will flat deny the discussion ever took place.

With that out of the way...

Hypothetically speaking....

If I was considering getting a larger car, that could be a daily car (hence reliable - yes, I KNOW :sparta:, but still), but also serve really well for towing a track car on a trailer to and from race tracks, would a CR-V be a good choice? I've never been in a CR-V (*GASP*), so don't know how big it would feel compared to my Civic. It would be great if it was 4WD and a diesel, so what Honda would y'all recommend ? I wouldn't want to spend too much more than what I would get for my Civic.

This IS of course all an hypothetical discussion.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    <<I'll speak quietly so the Civic doesn't hear>>

Does it have to be a CR-V, the Accord has good towing capacity ?

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I thought CR-V for 4WD ability, but that's not a key requirement. I DO like the accord.... What model would you recommend?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Now there's a thought.... Nighthawk black ATS....

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Surely my Civic should be able to tow as well ?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It does but its less towing capacity than an Accord or CR-V...
    Screenshot_2015-12-30-02-20-04-1.
    Source Parkers

Accords braked towing weight is 1700kg I think.

RogerH69 likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    CR-V isn't very big in all honesty, it looks big from the outside, because its a tall SUV styling, I think the dimensions are similar to the Accord, just taller and you have a more commanding seating position. Personally if I was in your situation I would take an Accord instead because as a daily driver I can still have some fun driving around in it and you could mod it too.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@exec is right - the external dimensions of the CR-V are similar to the Accord, which is a bit surprising. It is a bit wider, and taller naturally.

Where the CR-V excels is internal space - it is in a different league if you need to carry either stuff or passengers. I posted some internal pictures a while back somewhere on HK.

What I know about towing you could write on the back of a stamp - in big letters - but this article may be useful.

Honda CR-V review - Honda tow cars | Practical Caravan

Racy Jace likes this.
  8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Hmmm - I really like the idea of either the CR-V OR the Accord - both have their merits.

I get that the Accord would maybe be better for a 'runabout' than the CR-V may be, and that I can also mod it. The issue is that I want to be spending all my money on the Prelude, so don't want to be tempted with an Accord to throw money at. The idea if a SUV (especially if it's 4 wheel drive) is starting to grow on me too, and having so much interior space to play with would be great. I'd have to say I'm leaning more towards the CR-V, considering the point of getting a new car is to tow a trailer / dolly with my track car on it, AND to get people and stuff in as well (we're aiming to have multiple drivers / passengers in the track cars, to share the trackday costs)

I've decided I've got 3k to spend in total (bit more than I wanted to spend, but I'm hoping I would get a good price on the Civic), so I'm gonna look to see what I can find in Accord and CR-V in that price range and see from there.

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Definitely not the 2008 model - way out of my price range

11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I'd reckon to get it for £3200 with a bit of aggressive negotiation - if they really want to sell, of course!

RogerH69 likes this.
  12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

£3000 is already stretching my budget to the limit. Plus - 2 service stamps and high mileage concerns me. Plus, I generally steer away from dealers that only supply a mobile number. Dunno where those dealers are either, and suspect they're not too close to Oxford - don;t wanna be driving all over the country to look at cars. Pity, as I like the looks of the 2nd Generation one.

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@RogerH69

It may be worth - and I accept it is a bit of a long shot - speaking to a couple of local Honda dealers and letting them know what you are looking for. That way, if they get an older trade-in that they would normally auction, they can give you a call first...

RogerH69 likes this.
  14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That looks nice. And you certainly seem to get a lot more Accord for your money than you do with CR-V.

16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

So went and had a look at the Accord and fell in love with the colour. It's apparently blue, but looks more purple. Forgot to check colour code.
    20151231_121644.
    Good points first :Smile:
    • Price is agreeable
    • Interior is immaculate, though I'm not necessarily a fan of the shiny plastic trim inserts as shown in this pic
    • Electrically adjustable driver's seat
    • VERY comfy seats
    • Sunroof (glass tilt / slide)
    • Engine looks very clean and purrs nicely
    • Full service history, at a Honda dealership (same dealership I think, as car was owned for 2 people, a father and then his son)
    • Nice looking 17 wheels
    • Drives smoothly
    • Honda Nav etc.
    Not so good points
    • I'm tPaint needs some work. I am wondering if the 'son' got rid of the car because he kept scratching it by driving into walls or other cars.... From what I can see, there is no body damage, just needs some paint redoing
      20151231_121139. 20151231_121159. 20151231_121207.
    • Strange collection of scratches on the rear of the boot lid, possibly from a dog / other pet / animal ?
      20151231_121123. 20151231_121128.
    • Wheels could do with a bit of a refurb
      20151231_121145. 20151231_121213. 20151231_121217.
    I'm thinking that this is a really good car, and though it has the damage to the paintwork, it's easily fixed ? Thoughts ?

17. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

One more not so good thing....
    • Could be a right pain getting a double din setup I like

18. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The only thing that bothers me about that Accord is that the advert says 'very good condition' and given the scratches and wheel damage I'd say it is anything but!

The service history sounds great, but the damage says to me it has been carelessly owned. I know it's an older car, but even so...

If either an Accord of a CR-V will do the job, personally I'd keep looking.

Btw, those boot lid scratches could be a dog jumping up, but more likely to be a ring I'd have thought, scratching it when the boot lid was closed each time.

RogerH69 likes this.
  20. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter