Accord/8th Gen Need help selecting new car

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by vygec, Tuesday 30th Oct, 2012.

1. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    I just joined. I am looking to move away from my german background (VW Passat) and buy an Accord and need some help from you seasoned lot.
    I have narrowed my choice down to the ES GT (Petrol), 3 year old model-2009 or newer. I was set on the SAT NAV model, but i think i might be able to save a bit by going with the model which comes with the standard radio.
    I use my phone for GPS, so not having the onboard navigation isn't really a biggie for me.

My main question is apart from loosing the SAT NAV, is there any other differences which i would benefit from?
    My music collection is on my ipod, so i understand i can use this on both versions- via the usb lead connection. Would this be easier to use with the SAT NAV model, or no difference?
    Appreciate any input.

2. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi bought an ES GT myself last month 59 plate, ES GT has uprated suspension with variable rate dampers, additional body mouldings. but the SAT Nav option comes a 10 speaker premium sound system, not sure what the difference is with the hands free telephone system apart from importing the entire contents of the phone book in one go. there is also an upgraded climate control that is part of the Sat Nav system. rear parking camera, there a few a little other cosmetic niceties..

Im sure some better informed people may add to this..

Last edited: Tuesday 30th Oct, 2012
  3. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi, I've recently bought a 2008 petrol 2.0 ES GT auto tourer.

Mine is without Nav, I connect my iPhone with and iPhone cable to the usb and can see the song titles and search albums, artists etc.

As Nick says its is easier on the Nav model, plus it loads your phonebook and you can see your contacts.

Petrol is fairly pokey for a small engine in a big car, as with all i-vtecs it needs revs to really pull, auto box is very refined and paddle shifts fun.

Here is a link to the manual for the Acura TSX which is the same car sold in the USA, the manual details the functions of the Nav and standard radio.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/BTS090/BTS0909OM.pdf

4. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Something else to be aware of that I was not, is the servicing schedule, the majority seem to have variable servicing enabled so oil and filter changes can come round in as little as 6000 miles.. there is more on this forum about it...

5. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nick is right, some are on SvRS the variable servicing, indicator on the dash.

Mine is an early new model and it doesnt have it, and is on the standard 12months/12500 mile servicing schedule.

I also beleive you can have it turned off and adopt the 12/12500 schedule, especialy out of warranty of course.

6. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info all.
    Is there a significant difference between the standard audio and the premium sound system?
    Is the rear view camera actually any good, or is it more of a gadgety gimmick?

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I love rear view camera and find it very useful.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have stopped looking in the back whilst reversing in my 8th Generation .. with the offside mirror dipping and standard reversing sensors all round the you can't miss the offside kerb nor can you hit anything as you have audio and visual aids.

If you do then you are muppet. :telloff:

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It really bugs me that the latest Accord (as all previous Accords) is a fantastically spec'd car. Why the F don't Honda UK market this beast much more rigorously

:Angry: :Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry::Angry: :Angry:

:Crazy:

FirstHonda likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Simple really they don't make a profit on the car,yen is too strong and they are making a loss selling the car. Which I find quality BS Subaru , Suzuki and the rest are in the same boat.

Look at Keith his wife wanted to buy a Accord went to the dealer they were not interested went to Subaru and could not do enough to get the sale. She now is driving a Legacy :Unknown:

Strong yen yeah right ..its a effort to push Swindon first.

11. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Because they want to sell the Swindon produced cars first and foremost, and they only have a small quota of Accord's.

12. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

getting back on topic :Smile:
    apart from autotrader, any other recommendations to check? i don't mind travelling to get the right car.

13. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

14. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ebay Motors is where i spotted mine, you will be surprised the number of dealers using it..

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Need I say more. Hear carefully what he say at 0:36 and between 0:39 seconds .. well we know that :Smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  16. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Still looking :Smile:
    I was hoping for a 2009 model, but not much around within my budget. I might have to drop down to a 2008 model, apart from being a year older, was there any differences over these two years?
    And is this part of the year a good/bad time to be looking to buy?

My original hopes were to get a 2009 ES GT NAV Petrol Manual, possibly with around 30k on the clock, with the hope of spending around £10K. i'm not sure if this is possible now?

17. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

18. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

19. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Last edited: Monday 19th Nov, 2012
  20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The first accord needs front discs as they are rusted to hell or a full clean and strip, second car what with the photoshopped images..what are they hiding?