Off-Topic Need recommendations for a good camera

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Abbey, Tuesday 17th Jul, 2012.

1. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    I love Cannon camera and would like to get something like a Rebel. But I'm not a camera expert. My last camera broke during vacation and needs to be replaced. Many happy occasions flying by, with no camera and now only a sweet memory. Mostly i need a good point and shoot camera with superb photo quality. Please recommend a good camera for family events/holidays, etc. Something with higher megapixel resolution, easy to use and a reasonable price. Or, just talk about your camera and share photos if you'd like.

2. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I too am looking for a camera to replace all of my Canon 40D gear. I`ve decided I`m not a proper photographer, more of a point and shooter so all of the lenses, camera and other paraphernalia I`ve accumulated over the years is going.

Whilst not recommendations I`ve short listed a few that I`ll be looking at. Firstly keeping with the Canon theme is the Canon SX40 HS with its excellent 35X zoom. Also I can use my 580EX II flash with it.

Second is the Sony HX-200V, again, long zoom and some good feedback on Amazon

I`ve also been looking at offerings from Fuji. My photographer nephew uses a Fuji Finepix X100 and swears by it. He sometimes takes this out when he can`t be bothered lugging around his Canon 5D and lenses. While I won`t be going for that (a bit out of my price range at about £650 on Amazon) some of Fujis other offerings look more user friendly.

Some of Panasonics cameras look good. I currently have a Panasonic TZ5 compact which takes great pictures but I`m looking for something with more features so I`ll pass it on to one of the kids when I decide on what I`m going for.

Like I said not recommendations just a few of the cameras I`m looking at.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am glad you started this thread I am too looking for a good camera and stop using my iphone. I was leaning more towards the entry level Nikon D3200, the reviews are good but anyone got the camera and could share their experiences.

4. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The D3200 is a good shout.

I looked into the murky world of SLRs a while back when I was due to go on holiday. Plans changed all of a sudden when I had to go in an emergency (dad had a heart attack) and I've not been able to scratch my DSLR itch.

From what I remember the Nikkon just felt much better to hold and touch compared to the canon. I especially got on well with the D5100 due to its flip screen (a nice but not important feature)

I'm guessing CJ, you want it to shoot pics of cars and general family holidays etc and special moments. In which case an entry level DSLR is probably more than adequate IMHO..

I'd say go with the D3200 but have a look at the D5100 too, I think its similar price wise and what the D5100 lacks in megapixel power it makes up for in ease of use.

Have a look on the pistonheads forum for the photography section. Amazing pictures and good tips especially on taking good car pics.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I've bee looking for a digital camera for a little while as well. I very nearly bought the Panasonic TZ20, very good lens, picture quality and features, but it's just been superseded by the TZ30. I've not seen the full spec for the TZ30 yet but it's an improvement on an already very good camera.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry to hear about your dad bud..yeah you got the gist of my use down to a T , I am not a avid photographer nor do i claim to be one. I want great quality pictures and depth of a SLR as time come I will get better and may look at the pro stuff.

D3200 is the only one on my radar but Dave's recommendation on Fuji Finepix X100 has given me another choice. may get into Jessops and give them a trial run.

Cheers for the top tip
    :Smile:

7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All I'll say is I've got a Nikon D70s DSLR, and it has had a very very hard life and still works perfectly. I'm talking being dropped out of first floor windows or being thrown in to a pile of chemicles lol.

It's probably a bit much for the average tourist, but the quality of the product is brilliant.

8. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just been talking to my nephew CJ and I know its early days but he says if you need any info or comments about his experience with the Fuji he is more than happy for me to pass on his email to you

Ichiban likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave that is very kind of you please do send me his email address.

10. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

No problem CJ, PM sent

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Felicity Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    I have the Canon PowerShot SX150 IS with 14 megapixels. It's really amazing. I love the closeups especially. And, I've used this to create several family home movies of birthday parties and other events. I'd recommend to anyone. Very affordable, less than $200 (US)

12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    I have a Panasonic DMC-FS12 LUMIX pocket point and shoot whicH gets superb results 12 MEGA PIXELS which is more than you need to be fair, I have bought these for all the family and they love them. Good quality alloy case no plastic here, simple menus not over complex and lots of features but you can not override and run manual. . Built like a Honda and I love these little cameras Panasonics build quality is superb for the money.. Better than the Nikon or Canon offerings to my mind in the happy snapper range:Thumbup:

My main camera is a Nikon D90. There are probably two main camps, Canon and Nikon and they tend to attract loyal customers much like Honda!

Down to individual preferences, me I prefer the feel of the Nikon probably a little heavier and bigger than the Canon equivalent but I like the more robust solid feel. Image quality on the D90 is faultless - to me at least..

13. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be fair, anything more than a 4mp camera is unnecessary to your average Joe.

We should have a photography thread going here...

14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Thats spot on Frankie, most would get away easily with 4mp but the children in Comet would tell you otherwise.

I see you a Nikon boy to. D70 is an excellent camera and still commands good money, sounds like yours has had a full and exciting life!