Engine & Gearbox Need Urgent Assistance!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Monday 13th Jan, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Ok, so I gave my lovely 2.4 7th Generation to my parents a short while ago and after my dad almost instantly wrecking the headlight washers, which I've now repaired, the poor car is in danger again.

For some reason he's always had it in his head that it's bad to rev an engine, especially when pulling away. Now, I'm not talking about launching at 7,200rpm but we are talking about him pulling away at like 850rpm! :Aghast: The car shudders like crazy and threatens to stall. Not only does it do my mum's head in but it angers me big time as I'm just waiting for something in the driveline to snap. The bloody thing is designed to do 7,200rpm and he's worried about pulling away at over 1,000rpm!

So, I was giving my mum a lift in my car on Sunday whilst my dad went off to pick my brother up in the Accord - ideal time to quiz my mum on his driving. She said he's been much better now and doesn't labour the engine. So, we get to the shopping mall and meet up with him and my brother who lets me know that he was trying to pull out from a side street onto the main road in 4th gear!!!!! :Aghast::Aghast::Aghast::Aghast::Aghast::Aghast::Aghast::Aghast::Aghast::Aghast::Aghast::Aghast::Aghast::Aghast::Aghast: And this just shows he was probably trying to do it in second because of the direction of the gear stick. Grrrrrr.

So for the sake of my poor Accord I need to do something about this. He's set in his ways and I know what he's like as once he thinks something is what it should be then that's the only way as far as he's concerned. So the solution will be to plant a new seed in his head with categorical proof that labouring the engine WILL wreck the car.

Is there any pucker documentation out there which will not only back this up but also explain what will get wrecked, why it will get wrecked and to what extend it will get wrecked. I couldn't stand to see the car be run down after all the time and effort I put into it.

You wouldn't believe he was a Chief Technical Engineer on our lovely fighter jets! lol Go figure. :Blink:

2. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

its times like that makes you wonder if he should be in an automatic :Wink:

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Surely all that laboured running at the point of stalling the car would stop the oil from circulating properly through low oil pressure for a start? The strain on the drive train can't be healthy either.

I know a few older people who are like this as well. They believe that the fewer revs they have on the engine the more economical their driving is. Economy seems to be the main driving force behind confused opinions of what good driving is. These same people are driving along in 4th gear when they should be in 2nd, then having to put there foot through the floor to get it to pull away, then complaining that their car has no performance.

My solution is sit in the passenger seat while they're driving then when they go to change gear put my hand on the gear stick so they can't change gear. Then force them to rev the engine to accelerate. Only then do I let them change gear. Once they learn they can rev it, and it's better, they seem more likely to do it in future. Surprisingly they find their engine isn't as gutless as they thought. Take him out for a spirited drive, make him repeatedly hit the VTEC and don't let him drive, or change gear, below 3000 RPM. Then when he drives it again by himself, all be it with his tendency to drive it easier than that, he should hopefully drive it in the correct way.

Tell him if he doesn't start to drive it properly you'll take it back and give him a 1.1 automatic. LOL

4. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    He could be putting excess strain on the crank, clutch and the gearbox, as above threaten him with a pokey little car, G-Whizz maybe:Wink:

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    lol, can't threaten with a pokey wee car as the main reason for giving him this one was not just the reliability but also for safety as my son is in it sometimes. He's also been buggering about with different fuels, doing my head in. I told him to stick with BP Super or Shell Nitro. That's what I've always used with no problems - but no, he's being farting about trying Esso regular etc and the other day my mum said the car lost power for a second. If he's clogged that fuel filter after I spent time changing it I'll go bonkers.

So, is there any documentation on this?