Introductions New accord owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Skooshbag, Friday 13th Feb, 2015.

1. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    Hi folks.

Just bought my very first Accord last month, 2000 (W) 4 door saloon, 1.8i VTEC and I'm loving it. Primarily bought as a cheap runaround and something to get the mrs through her test, but if I can keep it running I'd like to keep it longer. Running it over the past 5 weeks has shown up a couple glitches which I would like to get out of the way by the end of next month as it's MOT is due.

So, expect a whole lot of noob questions, as I haven't fiddled with a car for a long time, last car I took a spanner to was a K plate Cavalier about 10 years ago, this is the newest car I have owned.

10888372_744236855668125_6879188655019473511_n(1). 10620764_744236905668120_5566620460151956117_n.

2. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi lee, get a list of the bits you need done and I am sure you will soon have the info you need to get them sorted. welcome aboard Billy :Smile:

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome bud, what sort of issues are you experiencing with her?

Welcome back , haven't seen you post in months!

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @Skooshbag :welcome:

She looks like a nice clean car. I'm pleased you like her.
    If you add her to the Club Garage, it will help us, help you, by being able to see her at the bottom of your posts.

As for the 'glitches', just ask away. You will always find help here.

5. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    thanks for the welcome folks.

Noted problems so far are:
    ABS light constantly on - I realise there are various codes involved to diagnose the problem
    engine tapping when cold
    grinding/squeaking when braking - thought the pads needed replaced, front were checked yesterday and pads are about halfway down. Couldn't check the rear as caliper was solid
    "dead spot" when accelerating, most notably in 1st and 2nd when approaching 1500rpm
    and it needs a handbrake.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

7. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    cheers Nels. i think first things first, I need to get me a decent trolley jack and axle stands

8. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Not sure about ABS, haven't had to tackle that yet

There is a guide for valve adjustment on a cold engine here...Guides - Valve Clearance Adjustment on a 6th Generation Honda Accord CG8 -F18B2E

The rear brake caliper lever-arms have a tendency to seize, jamming the handbrake on (piston onto disc). Undo the bolts and use a little prybar between the caliper and carrier to ease it off

If the caliper arm his seized then look for this indication, where the gap is (or isn't)
    seized_caliper_zpsc56fb281.

If you need to release the handbrake from the caliper get decent pliers on the cable, even a pair either side of that bracket and twist firmly - its very well stuck if you are unfortunate.
    jammed.

The dead spot could be a few things I guess, throttle position sensor might be one but that;'s an unqualified stab in the dark lol.

If you are after a good jack, a few of us on here use the Arcan Jack, its a cracker compared to your standard Halfords trolley jack however its 4 times the price. We talk about it here Tools - Halfords 5-Piece Kit, Any Good?

Nels likes this.
  9. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    thanks Andy. the acran jack looks tidy, out of my price range though, the mrs would have a fit if I spent her hard earned on it. halfords jack and crossed fingers it is lol

Handbrake problem is there is no actual handbrake, which is something I could do at the same time as the brake overhaul.

10. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think some 6th gens have different handbrake consoles, this is my one for access to the cables.

Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda
    handbrake.

Left rear screw

tn_IMG_5701.

Right rear screw

tn_IMG_5702.

Top Screw

tn_IMG_5705.

When these have been removed, grab under the rear of the console, no need to take the ashtray out. The front left and right end of the unit has small 'hooks' - ie the end at the gear stick, so you need to sort of wriggle this ,I found to free it. Then lift it up over the handbrake.

tn_IMG_5709.

This is the handbrake adjusting nut. I think its a 12mm spanner to adjust, first ratchet position should cause slight drag on raised wheels.

tn_IMG_5708.

Skooshbag likes this.
  11. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    cheers for that Andy. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow afternoon while the mrs is at work and the kids are away

12. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Buying an Arcan jack yet insisting its a Halfords jack to the missus? :Whistle:

Skooshbag likes this.
  13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK Lee. :welcome:

That's a nice Accord you've got she looks in great condition.

14. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    I'd be living in the car if I did that
    Hi john, thanks, he's pretty tidy for her age, a few little scratches in the paint but nothing you can see at first look, bodywork is sound and inside is failry clean, not bad for a 15yo car

15. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Definitely a nice clean car. It looks great. It's amazing what a quick detail can do for minor scratches maybe even clay bar will make a difference. It will get any contaminants (tree sap, tar spots, insect remains etc) off the paint anyway. Not worth doing until the weather picks up really though. You have to be careful with some detailing products on modern water based paints - avoid T Cut or at least be very, very careful with it! I've given up on keeping mine clean just try to keep as much salt off as possible. The grime isn't so bad for the bodywork as the salt and caked on silt from the gritting the roads.

There are a lot of well looked after Hondas out there plus they're pretty much bomb proof anyway so they last well. I've seen 2 J reg 4th Gens on Autotrader tonight both were spotless.

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club @Skooshbag :Smile: Regarding your rear brakes, I've recently just finished overhauling my 6th Gens all around, there's pictures step by step here which might help to reference things - bare in mind it's a Type-R so will be very marginally different.

17. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Welcome to the forum.

18. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and a big :welcome:to the club

19. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    thanks for the welcome folks, I think I might like it here.

technical question: handbrake. I removed the centre console as per @AndyB1976's pictures above. both sections of handbrake from the bracket are present, but at full pull the cables were still slack, so I gave the tightening nut enough turns so that the lever would get about 5 clicks of the ratchet before the cables tightened, but there was still no braking....so...I assume from this that the failure is back at the caliper arm, seized in the off position perhaps

20. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah maybe start there at the caliper unless both cables have badly stretched/broken down.