Tyres & Wheels New Alloys - Sigma 18" but what tyres?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Chrispy, Sunday 23rd Mar, 2014.

1. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Hi All,

I have a 2.2 CTDi, just got my hands on two 18 inch Sigma alloys with tyres, yes two, I have to find another two I'm afraid, but for £50 for the two in great condition, I couldn't go wrong!

Just got to keep my eye out for another two now, you guys let me know if you come across any in good condition! :Smile:

Now my question is the tyres are 225 / 45 / 18 my current tyres are 225 / 45 / 17

So the only difference is an extra inch, would that be ok? I've read up and this seems to be the correct size other than 225 40 18, which I'm guess that 5 from the side wall compensates for the extra inch?

These wheels came off an accord, so I'm sure they should fit fine, its just the extra inch that worries me,

My suspension set-up is standard, and there is loads of clearance between the wheel and the wheel arch.

What you reckon?

Cheers :Smile:

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For the 7th Generation you will need 225/40/18 for speedo to be correct.
    225/45/18 are for the 8th Generation cars(post 2008)

Ichiban likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You hit the nail on the head with the sidewall/size. You want 225/40 on the 18s to match the 225/45 on the 17s, the difference is all of 0.46% that way. With 225/45 on the 18s you'd be 3.85% off and at 60mph you'd actually be going 57.6mph.

4. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Arrrghh that's a pain, makes sense as the Sigma alloys are an optional upgrade for the new accord, not to worry,

I'll probably find another pair and then run them into the ground, once there on their way out replace them with the correct sized tyres 225 / 40 / 18

There's no harm in an extra inch other than the speedo being out a bit right? A bit slower reading?

Cheers :Smile:

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Just to confirm, you mean running the 17s on one axle and the 18s on another? If so, there's no problem other than the slight Speedo difference. I don't think the difference is enough to cause issues with the VSA.

6. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    I have to do around 32 mph to do hit 30 anyways (says the speed display warning signs) so I can't imagine it making to much difference, rather it be slower than faster eh :Smile:

7. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    hahah nooo I wouldn't dream of using different sized wheels lol, I'll get another two the same hopefully with the same sized tyres and then when they're ready, wack on the correct size :Smile:

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I wasn't going to say anything other than it wouldn't harm the car :Whistle:

You could run 18s with really stretched 205/35 if you wanted and your only real worry would be the really harsh ride :Smile:

9. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    I don't actually know why people go for the stretched look? JDM etc? LOL I drive round Sheffield and my god the roads are awful, so I need to leave a bit of give,

So an extra inch aint gunna make any difference other than the speedo reading :Smile:

I'm happy now, I just need to find another two, I can't find any atm, not even on ebay!

10. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I feel quite the same, infact I'm probably going to still run 17s when I go for aftermarket alloys as I prefer the ride to 18, let alone talking heavily stretched tyres.

You did get an amazing deal on those wheels mate, just hope you have luck finding another two quickly :Smile:

12. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

If you were to look there yes, though dealers I think they're about £180 a piece for the Deltas :Smile: I'd rather run aftermarkets for the range, not a fan of many OEM styles at all.

Although £140 isn't a bad price for refurbishing the current ones, they're not worth that much more second-hand anyway, I'd sell them in their current condition to be quite honest. 4 for £100 as they are is better than £200 refurbished with £140 cost to yourself.

14. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Yeaah figures, don't think anyone would ever look there to be honest, lol

I might go all out and paint them florescent orange and just wack them on in the summer lol tyres are still very good so I've got plenty of time to source 2 other Sigmas :Smile:

Thanks all for your help! :Smile:

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Haha, whatever floats your boat mate. My standard alloys will eventually become my winter rims :Smile:

You're very welcome.

16. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    bump, Hi all thought I might bring this back to life, does anyone know where I can get another two Sigma Alloys?, I've been on the hunt for ages but can't find any reasonably priced, ebay, gumtree, nothing just some tatty ones from a breakers in Oldham, HH doing them for £180 each, which well considering I got two for £50 in excellent condition doesn't tickle my fancy, if anyone knows anyone or somewhere let me know pleeease! :Smile:

Cheers. :SOS:

17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Try online breakers like 1stchoice.co.uk?

18. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Many thanks I will give them a buzz :Smile: