Aftermarket Kit New Audio NAV System

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Peter_G, Thursday 23rd Oct, 2014.

1. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi

Can a double 2DIN head unit be fitted into the sixth gen Accords?

I'm looking at this:

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    From my understanding it requires a bit of work to fit a double DIN unit, I've seen some using heater/HVAC control mounts from one of the Sat Nav models, which moves them down to the centre console. Requires some custom fabrication work.

accord-6th-gen-double-din-stereo.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've also been toying with this idea for over a year now!

In theory it is not too difficult - all we got to do is remove the single DIN stereo and heater controls. The heater controls have to be relocated to the bottom (either in place of the clock or under or swap). Then we have to buy a cage that the 6th gens with Sat Nav factory installed had - install that then fit the double din unit.

Alternatively, if you want the nav, you can get single DIN units that have a flip out screen which does the same job as double DINS.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have heard and seen accord with a double din head unit in place of the clock and cubby, but your going to need the mounts from one of those to fit the unit into.

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've done it:

D5A4193E-65F9-41D6-A8BE-959DBC4EA5A6.

Nighthawk and Harvey like this.
  6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was thinking of putting the double din on the bottom where thw clock is and having a cubby hole where the din size hole in the dash would be for the stereo.

7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The bottom section is slightly smaller than a double DIN .
    Also, IMO it's not that safe to have to glance down that far to look at your units navigation directions.

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It wouldn't bother me looking down there for navi as I don't have a navi unit, but do use my garmin alot. However I still think its double din sized as the din sized stereo and climate control unit fit there, and they also fit in the top slot as well. Thats what lead me think that.

Oh and by the way, how the hell do you get the heater controls out of the top slot as I've got one with a bulb out and its annoying as hell.

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Good work @Pottermus, nice clean install. I agree with you about installing stuff so far down, just isnt safe to take your eyes off the road for so long

10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The lower section is definitely too small, and requires modifying to fit. I had that as a plan B.

Take the dash/clock fascia off to access it.

11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was in the scrappy mate and trying it on another car so I didnt damage my own. Does the heater controls just pull out once unscrewd,as I had some serious problems getting it out and gave up as the control cables seem so tight there isnt any wiggle room to unhook them.

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah.

I replaced one of mine two weeks ago, built it all back up and them realised I had two gone lol.

13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

sounds about right you know. I've got one out for the moment, just hope that I can remedy that soon as its really annoying

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  15. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A write-up on the installation and parts needed would be nice as I'm sure alot of users would like to d this mod

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I checked on the Internet and double din is 100x180 and the size of the hole is about the samw size, if a little bigger, so double din will fit in the bottom slot.