Pre-Facelift Model New Auxilary belt fitted, getting belt noise a minute after startup

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by jimmy1973gb, Friday 13th Feb, 2015.

1. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Northern Ireland jimmy1973 Ballymena
    When I start my Accord 2.2 I-CTDI in the morning the engine is quiet, but after the engine is running about 30 seconds to a minute there is belt noise starts. Its not a squeal, its just as if there is something under load, what could this be?

I had a new auxilary belt fitted as I thought this would fix it, but it made no difference.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My car has the short belt, there are a few things in that thread that can cause noise, tensioner, alternator bearing and alternator clutch pulley. The noise Im getting isn't that bad, I will try and record it and upload it when I get a chance. Many thanks for the links :Smile:

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    A video will definitely help people try to identify it :Smile:

5. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok I made video with the engine running, uploaded it to youtube, below is a link

6. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My air con compressor makes some noise when its in use, but it comes and goes. I think its contributing to the noise.
    When I switch it on the Air con the compressor only operates for a short time, I had it regassed yesterday because I thought it maybe low, but it's still only running for a short time. Does Air Con only work when the temperature is above a certain temperature?

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Sounds like your power steering pump to me, is the lock bolt for the auto-tensioner tight?

If you put something against the various components, PS, alternator, A/C and the other end to your ear you should be able to figure out which component it is.

The other thing to do is pull the belt back off and check the various pulleys for any play, and whether turning them causes the components bearings to produce a sound or if there's any excessive resistance.

jimmy1973gb likes this.
  8. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mechanic fitted new belt few weeks ago, I asked him at the time if he checked things for wear and he said everything seemed ok. I don't think he checked, probably just slipped the new belt on. My uncles accord sounds the same and has 50k less miles so maybe Im being paranoid. Everything works, its just when car starts up its so quiet then that noise comes in after a bit.

9. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I can't recommend this at this stage I don't know that much about the Accord yet, but might just be worth running it very quickly without the Aux belt, just to rule out anything thats not Auxiliary (Aircon, Water pump, Power steering, alternator). Be sure quick though as it will stop your water pump!

I wouldn't worry too much though as mine also loads up after 30 seconds too. I believe this model has a system that uses the Aircon pump to provide warm air to the cabin (For when the engine is cold, for de mist, comfort, etc) By reversing the aircon system. Its mentioned in the manual, hot gas system. That could be what is causing it.

Last edited: Saturday 14th Feb, 2015
    jimmy1973gb likes this.
  10. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't worry about it mines been sounding like that for over 50k miles and now has just short of 185k on it. Sounded like that when I got it and I've heard some that don't make a noise like that but more that do.

jimmy1973gb likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There a couple of tricks I use to help determine source of noises.

First one uses a thin long handled screw driver. Touch the screwdriver end onto whatever you want to listen to and the handle end against your ear (make sure you're not going to slip onto any moving parts).

Second one is to use a tube (say a short length of 40mm plumbing waste pipe). Put your ear to the tube and move the tube around, you should be able to home in on the source of the sound. (Again stay clear of moving parts).

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A cut down broom stale works too. Depending on the type of noise, you can hear/pick up differences between the wood or metal method.

jimmy1973gb likes this.