Engine & Gearbox New car has squeaky clutch

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Paulcornwall, Tuesday 6th Jan, 2015.

1. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Penzance
    Picked up our FR-V 05 plate on Sunday, noticed the clutch pedal had a annoying squeak. Is it a matter of getting near the pedal and spraying some grease around.?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    I have used wd40 previously and also copper grease spray when that wore off....
    was that a really bad idea?
    I'm talking about the push rod thing off the pedal which goes into the bulkhead .

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    WD40 is not a lubricant despite what most people think. Its designed as a water displacement product and doesnt do seals any good whatsoever and has no staying power. (WD40 - Water Displacement 40 - designed by aerospace research in the 60s. They got it right on the 40th try hence its name)

Use some molycote G rapid.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  5. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Penzance
    All sorted with some rubber friendly White spray grease - much better! :Smile:

SpeedyGee and Nighthawk like this.
  6. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Couldn't agree more @Nighthawk WD40 - cracking solvent and degreaser but hopeless as a lubricant it will shorten the life of anything as it washes out whatever lubricant may be left....

Also puts a great shine on plastics. GT85 is similar.

It's amazing how many people who you would expect to know better praise WD40 for its lubricating properties.

As an example I was told to use WD40 on my UPVC door mechanism and gearbox whenever it gets stiff... Aye! Right oh so I use Finishline Red bike chain lube instead. Penetrates like WD40 but actually has some inherent lubricating and non stick qualities to it.

Not that I'm suggesting the use of Finishline on the CMC input rod but it is good for preventing car door locks from seizing and freezing up in winter as it also has the water displacement properties of WD40 .

7. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    So did this solve the issue completely? Where did you spray exactly?

I have had the squeak on our 09 and after research I sort of came to the conclusion that it was the master cylinder and not just a squeaky pedal?! I hope I can spray some silicone spray in there and shut it up!! It drives me mad.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No it's a temporary fix mate and you spray on the CMC rod. Please do not spray silicone grease use the correct grease.

9. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    My clutch pedal seems to have developed an annoying squeak recently too - I've managed to source some 'Granville' Red Ruber Grease locally and plan to lube the rod, so to speak, as soon as I get a decent window of opportunity. Will aim to post some FR-V specific pics up if I can angle my limbs into position effectively. I did try to inspect the whole assembly from the drivers side but it made me sea sick - I'm thinking the best access will be to lay along the floor, feet out of the passenger door, take advantage of the flat floor, but we'll see! :Smile:

PP

SpeedyGee likes this.
  10. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

There is a cure all for all clutch related problems. It will even cure leg cramps in slow traffic and a boon to left footed gout sufferers......... Buy an auto box! I love em!
    I feel an imminent ban coming on :Fear:

SpeedyGee and Zoot like this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There must be a name for your condition @steve4536 ... Banofobia :Grin:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am keeping out of this I am going to get a CVT car soon. so can't sit on both fences :HobbyHorse:Ban if you gagging of it that can be arranged :gotcha:

13. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Managed to have a look at the pedal setup today and it is a real pain to get at - best option for me was to kneel on the floor, outside the drivers door and inject myself body into the footwell. From here, with my shoulder on the footwell floor I could see the assembly, spring, clutch switch and actuator rod – just!

WP_20150112_006.

In the picture above, we're looking up the arm of the clutch pedal (which twists by 90 degrees) and we can see the plunger rod (underneath the steering universal joint) which is presumably part of the master cylinder.

The pedal assembly itself appears to be solid and does not seem to have any lateral movement – as such, the piston seems to be moving in the intended direction. My symptom is more of a squeak/groan when I’m releasing the pedal, most noticeable when driving in heavy traffic when you’re constantly depressing and releasing the clutch. It’s almost like a notchy / stiction type of feel which you’d be sure you could easily trace as a vibration through the mechanism but with space/access so limited, it’s not been possible for me to do so as yet.

WP_20150112_005.

Having said that, if I hadn’t read the thread about red rubber greasing the rod I’d be certain that the noise was coming from the pedals sprung pivot area, which seems a much more likely candidate but for the moment that's just my hypothesis.

Although I couldn’t get a picture (too messy) I have managed to get some red rubber grease into the intended area, although (and I stand to be corrected on this), I can se no easy way of getting the grease to the actual seal which is shrouded, other than part depressing the clutch, packing the gap and releasing etc. I think this would be a two man job and would require extreme caution given the bits and pieces involved. Anyway, we’ll see if the little amount I have managed to inject makes any difference.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Before I had a look at mine I was adamant that it sounded like the spring mechanism had like worn a hole for itself and it was this that was creaking the squeaking noise. But when I removed the clutch pedal box and inspected the spring mechanism, it turned to be perfectly fine.

What cured mine was just greasing the rod, pushing the clutch pedal and repeating a few times. This was like middle of last year IIRC and I've not had the squeaking/creaking return to date (touchwood it remains like that)

tom c and Princepugh like this.
  15. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Renewing the clutch fluid cured mine.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup that and the rod being treated with Molykote G Rapid plus. That will cure it for a months.

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, a short journey home followed by a trip to the shops has, remarkably, revealed that the squeak and slightly sticky feel to the pedal has gone, giving a much more progressive and compliant feel and release. From such a small amount of grease this is an amazing result and I suppose it goes to show how marginal some things can be. I'll aim to place a bit more of the grease this week and see how long the effect lasts.

PP

Bones126 likes this.
  18. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    Great result princepugh. :Smile:

Thanks for posting.... Will drop into halfords today and see what they have there.

:Smile:

19. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Guys, please, don't just use any old grease, it will potentially interfere with the integrity of the CMC seals. Use Molycote Rapid G - it is the best stuff to use and will not damage the seals.