Detailing New car paintwork protection

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Lisbon, Wednesday 24th Jun, 2015.

1. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will be taking delivery of a new CR-V in polished metal metallic in a couple of weeks (my first Honda). I try to take care of the paintwork on my cars and I'm wondering if I should apply any protection/sealant/wax at the outset whilst the paintwork is pristine. I won't be using the dealer offered service. I would appreciate any advice on how beneficial this would be and any DIY products or professional services recommendations.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @wanner69 is substantially more experienced than I am, or will ever be, but I would definetely give her a good coat of wax protection and maintain it every 3 months or so. Honda paint is pretty soft so it will mark easily over time. I would suggest adopting correct car washing techniques from the outset to minimise any swirls and to protect that paintwork as long as possible.

FirstHonda likes this.
  4. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. I'm careful when washing the car, but just struggle to do it regularly enough. New car syndrome may motivate me to be begin with, but the days of spending hours cleaning and waxing are behind me. As the car will be near the coast over the summer, I will try to wash and wax to provide some protection. Would be interested to hear any views on the use of longer term sealants for the paintwork.

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^Based on this comment, I'd be looking at a sealant. As @Nighthawk says, @wanner69 is best placed to advise on the longest lasting.

I've used Bilt-Hamber "AutoBalm" with great success in the past. Not the easiest product to apply, but lasts for ages!

Personally I prefer a good wax, topped up with something like Dodo Juice Red Mist protection detailer. If you haven't tried this stuff, then you should...

Lastly, I'd suggest you look on "Detailing World" for advice, too.

6. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've used the Auto Balm on my current car (to prepare it for wedding car duties). It did take along time to apply and buff, but it did a great job. Also used their snow foam and car shampoo. I didn't realise it was long lasting. Sounds like I'm on the right track, will just have to put the effort in. Will take a look at the red mist too. Thanks.

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Other than the fact that the BH AutoBalm is a bit of a b***er to apply, it is great stuff IMHO. Because it "sheets" water rather than "beading" lots of folk think it doesn't last long, but don't be fooled - it goes on, and on, and on like the Duracell bunny! Using Dodo Red Mist over the top (very quick, very easy) adds a top up shine and beading of water. It's a good combination.

@Lisbon - don't forget to introduce yourself in the intros section and :garage: - especially when it is new and shiny :Grin:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  8. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll pop by the club garage when I've got the car - it will be the same as yours, just in polished metal.

9. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Correction, on checking your club garage not quite the same: I've ordered 2015 CR-V 1.6 I-DTEC Auto.

10. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Sorry for the late reply guys, I've been on holiday. As nighthawk rightly says the key to minimising swirls, wash marring etc on your paint surface is by washing and drying the car correctly. For your new prep i would be detarring, deironising and claying the paint first before applying a sealant or wax. If you want a coating that is semi permanent, lasting 12 months plus on protection then take a look at the link below. A friend of mine was a wax fanatic like myself but has recently changed his car for a white Astra and swears by this coating.
    SiRamik Surface Coat | Reflectology.co.uk

11. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    Hi folks. Just joined, so forgive me for putting the cart before the horse.
    I've a new CR-V turning up in a couple of week's time and based on previous experience, I've already ordered some Tough Seal to apply before it hits the tarmac as I think waxing is just another way of trapping fine grit and turning subsequent polishings into exercises in self-abrasion.
    I found Tough Seal worked really well on a company leased VW I had for 4 years, whiched seemed to need minimal washing and certainly no polishing in all that time.
    I have to say, I never went so far as to clay the paintwork, as I didn't think it was too bad to start with (and to be honest, I didn't know about clay at that time).
    I'm interested in why I would need consider claying the CR-V before applying the Tough Seal though and also, what the de-ionising treatment is and does for the vehicle.
    Maybe to avoid potentially trapping calcium from the water supply in the finish?
    I also want to treat the alloy wheels as, to date, I've always seen corrosion getting under the sealant, so there must be a way to combat this successfully.
    Look forward to seeing your responses as I may be well out of touch nowadays on best practices and availabl materials.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

To avoid that you would need to clay bar it first. This is precisely what claying is for, removing surface contaminants and leaving the bodywork nice and smooth ready for waxing, sealing or polishing.

De-ironing, removes trapped iron particles in the paintwork, I'm not sure this is an entirely necessary step but stand to be corrected.

FirstHonda likes this.
  13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Big H I've never heard of 'tough seal' but have had a look at their website. Assume it is this one?

Paint and Fabric protection

They make some impressive claims. Which of the products did you use previously? I might give it a try, in the name of science rather than OCD, obviously...:Laughing:

14. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    A lot of new cars are exposed to the elements before arrival to the dealerships. Personally I would deiron, clay, then seal

SpeedyGee likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Especially if they have shipped from the other side of the world.

wanner69 likes this.
  16. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    Yep, that's the stuff in the blue and white packaging.
    Worked really well in the past.
    That's not to say other products have overtaken it, but better the devil you know and all that.
    Still in two minds regarding the claybar though.
    I think I've still got some somewhere and I guess for some of us living in Poole, SG, Swindon might be considered the other side of the world. lol
    - - - Updated - - -
    If you've not done any detailing before, this video seemed a good primer: