General New car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nighthawk, Tuesday 24th Mar, 2015.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    So, over the past few months I have been looking for a new second car as due to an impending house move, work changes etc, one car is no longer going to be a viable option for a growing family.

So, the staff room has been filled with my whinging about how the boss has been changing her mind constantly, but the one thing we have managed to agree on is that it is Japanese. In fact, I told her that I would not buy anything that isnt Japanese so to be fair, it wasnt an agreement as such.

Anyway, so months of looking around, havng the boss change her mind alot, it comes down to this - in the next 3 days, I need to find a car.

A couple of weeks ago we narrowed it down to a Corolla T Sport Compressor (215hp - drives better than a Type-R - sorry!), a T Sport Celica and a Honda, either an EP2 (1.6 Sport) or an EP3 (Type-R). I fell in love with the Celica (I have roots in Toyota, the newer cars of theirs are not nice, but the older ones are still decent). Anyway, after putting on my sensible parent head and pushing my emotions aside, I had to concede that a Celica is not really a good choice as a second car for kids, even more frustrating as the boss actually gave me the green light for the Celica.

We drove a few Civics of different trim levels and ages, all of which the boss dismissed straight away due to numerous issues, and some I agreed with as well. Four of the Civics I drove with EPS felt absolutely horrible - differences in resistance between turning left and right, jerking to one side or the other, noises etc.

Anyway, we have finally narrowed it down to two cars. I have scratched the compressor due to fuel saving costs, and for this reason I also scrapped the idea of an EP3, as firstly the power delivery scared the daylights out of her (but the compressor didnt which is faster and more powerful - go figure), and secondly, within our price range, they have all been killed to within an inch of their lives. So our two options are either a Toyota Corolla T Sport (190bhp - still a quick little thing) or an EP2. Drove an EP2 yesterday which I really liked, but it too had a minor issue with its EPS and ABS which @SpeedyGee and I couldn't quite put our finger on.

Good news, after all this time, the boss has finally given in :clap::Happy:. The boss is tired of me pestering her for the past few months and told me last night that "Buy what you feel is best, I will trust your judgement, as long as it isnt red". This meant thoughts of the Celica and an EP3 came flooding back into my head straight away with a pang of pain as I had to dismiss them again.

So, three days left - car searching today, wish me luck, lets hope I can find a decent Honda in the next 3 days within my price range of 3k

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's top news, good luck with the hunt for a Honda !

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

Behave Ed with that EP3 :Laughing:

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

:Bye:

Do it...DO IT!! :Devil:

6. Nighthawk Guest

All I will say is that that EP3 was put on the list of places to go visit today amongst other cars. Even though the sensible side tells me not to, it would be rude to drive past it. To be fair though, I can't justify the fuel costs of a Type-R which I understand is pretty bad even if driven sensibly.

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

We did an LPG on @tee's EP3 what an epic car that was !

8. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    S2000 and bus tickets for the family?

Chunkylover53 and Nighthawk like this.
  9. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Happy hunting mate, hope you find a decent car.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I would go with the Corolla T Sport, not as focused as a CTR, but very nice cars and go for nothing these days, plus they seem less popular with the barryboy crew unlike the CTR's, so it might be possible to bag a more honest car.

As an alternative how about the Mazda3? Only negative thing would be some shared bit from the ford parts bin.

11. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Bad news my old Accord has been sold Richard, so cross that one off your list.

As for a Mazda 3, fun cars to drive but very thirsty and not that fast for 2 litre.

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hope you find what you're after. (As long as it's a Honda) :gohonda::goodluck:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes .. has to be a :gohonda::Tongue:

14. Nighthawk Guest

@Duc de Pommfrit , i was really wanting yr car too.

So driven 4 cars today, not one of them were perfect, 2 were sheds, other two perfectly acceptable with only minor work needed but then people don't normally sell perfect cars and its fun fixing them yourself. All i will say is that it has twin exhausts

15. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. Nighthawk Guest

Ok, its been an interesting day 7 cars in total, a battle between Honda and Toyota - the first pair were neck and neck, could not decide and just confused me even more. The Toyota was quicker, but the Honda was more responsive and more comfortable. The second pair were just as bad as each other so couldn't run away quickly enough. My gut was just screaming at me before I even started to look closely at them. Took another EP3 out which was an absolute shed, tappets slamming away, binding rear calipers, blowing manifold and more. This then left a final Toyota and Honda to drive, my last two cars of the day. The Toyota was OK, sure it was quicker etc, but the fact that the window fell down on it, alternator light kept igniting and then it left me on the side of the road left a little sour taste in my mouth. The Honda... well, she was at complete polar opposites. Absolutely loved her. She handled amazingly too.

Guess what I brought home with me tonight?

17. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    A Curry and 6 cans? :Grin:

18. Nighthawk Guest

Now you mention it - I am eating pizza

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

So you avoided the :dodgydeal: and the major :mechanic:, so it's got to be :gohonda:

FirstHonda and Nighthawk like this.
  20. Nighthawk Guest

Yup, :sparta:

Lets have a little game

What is this:
    IMAG1338_1.