Official Honda New Civic Tourer at Frankfurt Motor Show

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Honda World News, Thursday 8th Aug, 2013.

1. Honda World News Auto-Generated News Feed

Honda announced its 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show line-up including the first public appearance of the new Civic Tourer and the updated Civic 5-door.

More...

2. Telegraph Auto-Generated News Feed

Honda Civic Tourer for Frankfurt

The Honda Civic Tourer will make its debut at the 2013 Frankfurt motor show

More...

3. Honda World News Auto-Generated News Feed

First Glimpse of the new Honda Civic Tourer

Honda has provided more information about the new Civic Tourer ahead of its official unveiling at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2013.

Source Honda Media
    Honda has provided more information about the new Civic Tourer ahead of its official unveiling at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2013.

The new Civic Tourer was developed and designed in Europe, allowing Honda’s European R&D team to lead the creative and technical design process. The sleek and sophisticated profile of the Civic Tourer does not compromise the car’s practicality. The Civic Tourer delivers exceptional versatility and functionality with class leading interior space of 624L (trunk volume with the rear seats up, measured up to the tonneau cover).

The Civic Tourer will feature either the1.6 I-DTEC engine from the Earth Dreams Technology series or the 1.8 i-VTEC engine in manual or automatic transmission. A brand new Adaptive Damper System (ADS) will help to enhance stability and comfort under varying load and driving conditions.

The Civic Tourer will be built at Honda’s UK manufacturing facility and will be launched in Europe from early 2014.

Functionality & Form:
    No compromise on design or space
    “I am very proud of the Civic Tourer’s sporty, sleek and dynamic proportions, which somewhat hide the car’s true functionality and versatility. To achieve true utility on a compact car, you have to consider how to make the most of the space in the cabin, which generally also affects the design. Due to the clever platform of the Civic, we had freedom to optimise the package. The end result is a car that has almost a sports-car silhouette. For me, the strength of the car is the synergy of functionality, versatility, and dynamic expression.” Adrian Killham, Large Project Leader, Civic Tourer.

The exterior design of the Civic Tourer is sophisticated and sporty, its unique style is defined by a bold line that runs continuously from the front A-pillar to the D-pillar creating the impression of a floating roof line.
    The development team for the Civic Tourer spent much time working on new ways to interpret this section of the car to deliver a feeling of premium value and character. The glass of the rear quarter window has been extended to cover the body work of the D-pillar and the rear door sash has been raised by 17mm compared to the Civic 5-door to enable this bold styling line and creating an elegant look.

At first glance it is clear that the Civic Tourer does not look like other Wagons. Recently-launched cars have tended to follow a similar style. The Civic Tourer has a different balance and appeal.” Adrian Killham, Large Project Leader, Civic Tourer.
    Behind this sophisticated and sporty design is a hidden versatility that leads to clever functionality and unrivalled practicality.
    The Civic Tourer benefits from the same unique centre fuel tank layout used in the Civic 5-door. The fuel tank is located under the front seats allowing the Civic Tourer to offer unparalleled interior space and Honda’s magic seat configuration.

The Civic Tourer offers class leading trunk space across both the C and D segments. The cargo area will accommodate 3 large-sized Samsonite cases with the tonneau cover pulled over to conceal the cases.
    · 624L* trunk volume (Rear seats up, up to window)
    · 1668L* trunk volume (Rear seats down, up to roof lining)
    There is a small compartment suitable for storing the tonneau cover so that it can be detached and stored out the way when it is not needed.

Furthermore, there is additional under floor storage in the boot which makes carrying tall objects in the boot easy and the height of the loading lip has been reduced by 137mm* compared to the Civic 5-door to facilitate effortless loading.
    Honda’s unique Magic Seats deliver further practicality and space within the Civic Tourer, enabling a range of seating configurations for maximum versatility.The rear seats assembly folds down in one easy movement, and the interior trunk floor of the Civic Tourer has been raised compared to the 5-door to create a completely flat area when the seats are folded down.
    The rear seat cushions can also be flipped up to reveal ample floor space for carrying tall objects. A 60:40 split in the seat base offers even more options for carrying both people and cargo and provides an alternative load area if access via the tailgate is limited.

Driving Performance:
    Advanced and Efficient Technology
    The Civic Tourer will feature either the 1.6 I-DTEC engine from the Earth Dreams Technology series or the 1.8 i-VTEC engine in manual or automatic transmission.

1.6 i-DTEC

The 1.6 I-DTEC diesel engine was first applied to the Civic 5-door and subsequently to the new CR-V. The engine is the first of Honda’s Earth Dreams Technology series to be introduced in Europe.
    The philosophy behind Earth Dreams Technology is to deliver an impressive balance between fuel economy and driving performance and this is certainly the case in the Civic Tourer.
    The 1.6 I-DTEC engine is comprised of an aluminium cylinder head joined to an open deck aluminium block and is the lightest diesel engine in its class. The mechanical friction has been reduced to the level equivalent of a petrol engine. All the rotating parts have been carefully optimised to reduce their friction, helping to provide excellent fuel economy whilst making sure the new Civic Tourer is fun to drive.
    The 1.6 I-DTEC engine was designed specifically for the European Market and is built at Honda’s UK Manufacturing plant (where the Civic Tourer will also be built).

Adaptive Damper System

The Civic Tourer also features an innovative Adaptive Damper System. This is the first time that a rear adaptive damper system has been introduced on a production car and it features three settings - comfort, normal and dynamic - all of which have been developed to enhance stability and comfort under varying load and driving conditions. This allows the Civic Tourer to remain comfortable during highway cruising, yet firm and agile when high-performance handling is required.
    “By introducing the technology in this format, we expect many customers will be able to experience the benefits of this advanced system.” Adrian Killham, Large Project Leader.

Safety

As with all Honda cars, safety was at the forefront of the development team’s mind when designing the Civic Tourer, particularly the integration of advanced active safety systems. The Civic Tourer will deliver a high standard of safety for the driver, passengers, pedestrians and other road users in line with Honda’s philosophy of ‘Safety for Everyone’.

Comparison table (Civic 5-door/ Civic Tourer)

Civic 5-DOOR Civic TOURER
    Dimensions (LxWxH)4285/1770/14404520/1770/1440*
    VolumeLuggage space (Seats up, up to window)
    Litres
    477624*
    Luggage Space
    (Seats down, up to roof lining)
    Litres
    13781668*
    Load height (mm)702565*

More...

[video=youtube_share;rHgrA9E6-MM]http://youtu.be/rHgrA9E6-MM[/video]

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: First Glimpse of the new Honda Civic Tourer

just going to upload some pictures the boot is massive :Smile:

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

AOCUK_Civic_Tourer (2). AOCUK_Civic_Tourer (3). AOCUK_Civic_Tourer (5). AOCUK_Civic_Tourer (6). AOCUK_Civic_Tourer (7). AOCUK_Civic_Tourer (8). AOCUK_Civic_Tourer (9). AOCUK_Civic_Tourer (1). AOCUK_Civic_Tourer (10).

Got to admit the boot will be massive swinger for a lot of new owners.

6. Autocar Auto-Generated News Feed

Honda Civic Tourer revealed

Honda's Civic Tourer to be unveiled at Frankfurt Motor Show, ready to hit UK showrooms in 2014Honda’s new Civic Tourer will go on sale in early 2014 after a public debut at the Frankfurt motor show next month.
    The new model was developed in Europe specifically for the EU market and has retuned chassis settings and the unusual option of automatic adaptive dampers on the rear axle.
    Despite the car’s sporty, low-roofed appearance, Honda says that the Tourer has the best seats-up luggage capacity in its class: an impressive 624 litres with the tonneau cover in place.
    The Honda also has the significant advantage of a completely flat and notably low load floor. That’s thanks to the Civic’s unusual floorpan design, which sites the fuel tank under the front seats, freeing up space beneath the rear seats. The extra room, combined with the compact torsion beam axle, makes the car’s rear floorpan much lower than in rival cars.
    Like the Jazz supermini, the Civic’s ‘magic’ rear seats — which have a 60:40 split — have folding and pivoting squabs, which can be raised with seat backs upright, allowing tall objects to be carried upright in the rear. The squabs can drop into the rear passenger footwell, allowing the backs to fold low and flat.
    However, one thing that the Tourer doesn’t share with the Jazz is a fold-forward front passenger seat. The upshot is that its maximum loadbay length is just under 1.8m.
    Although the Tourer shares its wheelbase and height with the five-door Civic hatch, Honda has extended the rear floorpan to give the Tourer a 1040mm overhang, 235mm longer than the hatch’s.
    The loading lip has also been dropped on the Tourer by a significant 137mm, something designed to appeal as much to dog owners as load carriers.
    Prices are expected to be £800-£1000 higher than the equivalent Civic hatch. So the entry-level Tourer will be a 140bhp 1.8 i-VTEC petrol costing about £19,200. A 118bhp 1.6 I-DTEC diesel is the other engine option. The Tourer is expected to account for one in every four Civic sales.
    Click here for more Frankfurt Motor Show news.

Civic Tourer 09.

More...

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough

I just don't get it!! If you want a small car then buy a Civic. If you want a big car with a big boot then go out and buy an accord with a tourer boot. But what's this obsession with manufacturers taking the smallest car in their range and whacking a great big tourer boot on it?! They did it with the mini and that just looked daft, it goes completely against the concept of the car!

Why don't they just make a version of the Civic with jacked up suspension to replace the CR-V while they're at it?!

8. rotation Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Didn't the Citroen Xantia and C5 estates have them? Or am I thinking of something else?
    Is the car now big enough that the car competes with the Renault Scenic and such?

Personally, I don't think I'd consider this when I come to choosing a new car.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

The BMW X3 and X5 remind me of that, it's like 3-series on stilts! lol

The Civic Tourer does look like an Accord Tourer to me, I think it looks good and works well, kind of like a Focus Estate I guess (in comparison to an Mondeo Estate). If they had tried to do it to the Jazz then I think it may not work, but the Civic is a pretty good mid-sized car. I think it will sell well, especially with mums who don't want a car as big as an Accord but still have sprogs and loads of crap to cart about - it's perfect for them and I reckon they are a pretty big market which means more profits for Honda and hopefully more R&D money going into new Accords :Smile:

I wish they'd bring out a proper high performance Accord, something to tear the back end off an M5.

10. Autoexpress Auto-Generated News Feed

Honda Civic Tourer 2014 revealed

Articles 11 Aug, 2013 Official pictures of new Honda Civic Tourer and details on its 1,688-litre boot
    mf.

Attached Files:

11. Car Car RSS Feed

Honda Civic Tourer (2013) first official pictures

The new Honda Civic Tourer might just be a better looker than its hatchback brother. Binning the split rear window tailgate and forming a ‘floating roofline’ makes for a decent-looking estate – but we expected that after clapping eyes on...

More...

12. rotation Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't think the Accord's quite big enough for the P2 engine yet.
    Plus, would you really want all that power through the front wheels only?

13. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough

I completely agree with what you're saying. The Focus is a very good example! The Focus just like the Civic is supposed to be a small hatchback, and in some variants a 'hot' hatch. When you have a mid size family car which is ideal to turn into a tourer why then turn a small hatchback into a tourer.

The trendy Focus was very popular, then they released the estate version which obviously would have taken sales away from the Mondeo hatchback and estate models. How many Mondeo's do you see compared to the Focus? Not many! I just see this as going the same way with the Civic and Accord. It's encroaching on the Accords market and all it's doing is giving more reason to dump the Accord.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anyone else who thinks the new Civic Tourer is ugly. Since its concept drawings and shape I have never liked the rear quarter design.

15. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Oh yeah didn't see this thread :Unknown:

Ugly is a strong word, I think the silhouette is fine it's the detailing that lets it down, that and continuing use of hard shiny plastics on the dash.

Whilst it's not horrendous, It doesn't change my opinion that Honda have Stevie Wonder in charge of signing-off designs. Put me in charge of Honda and the first thing I'd do is change the locks on the design studios when everyone has gone home.

Last edited: Monday 12th Aug, 2013
    Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Perhaps M5 was a little much but the Honda Accord Sedan 2013 V6 can do 0-60mph in 6 seconds. If the new AWD system is put in the Accord over here could they not push more power through those wheels? SAAB managed to do quite well with controlling the torque in the front wheels, I think they electronically restricted it in 1st and 2nd gear.

I've always wondered with mass production cars why you get front wheel drive cars that can engage the rear wheels when it loses traction but not the opposite - which would allow you the rear wheel driving experience but the safety of AWD should the conditions require it? I think the new NSX does it with electric motors on the front wheels? Can't remember but that would allow the Accord to dump all over BMW and Mercedes as they could no longer play the tired "rear wheel drive experience" card. :Smile:

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I actually quite like it, and was pretty impressed with the Civic I had a couple of weeks ago as a courtesy car. However, if Honda think that this is an adequate replacement for the Accord then I'm afraid they are much mistaken. Regardless of anything it is a "size down" in terms of refinement, build and image, and that is a major problem.

Even if I was going to consider one, the lack of an automatic diesel option for me would be a deal breaker as I can't drive manual, and do too many miles to make a petrol financially sensible (I'm not even sure my company opt out option would allow me to have a normal petrol, as it has strict limits on C02 levels and economy if I am to retain my fuel card).

Honda needs to invest further in Hybrid technology now, get a 9th Generation Accord into Europe, and really start to compete - starting with the new Lexus IS300h and Infiniti Q50.

If there is no new Accord, my money won't be going on a Civic Tourer (or a CR-V) I'm afraid...:Sobbing:

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There will be a 9th Generation Accord fella its coming just be patient. I prefer the new 4th Generation Jazz to the Civic Tourer. The CT external design is not pleasing to the eye certainly to me, I showed the car to Helen and she didnt like it at all and with 1.8 petrol the only option it a poor choice. If they had fitted the 2 liter lump from the Accord into it then it would have made better sense.

However the only massive bonus to the CT is the rear view visibility,it will be better than the 3 and 5 door car without the ridiculous half spoiler.

FirstHonda likes this.
  19. Autotrader Auto-Generated News Feed

Honda reveals estate version of Civic

Honda reveals estate version of Civic
    NLtLYBeDSGs

More...

20. Telegraph Auto-Generated News Feed

Honda Civic Tourer revealed

The 2014 Honda Civic Tourer has a 624-litre boot and will make its debut at the Frankfurt motor show. mf.

More...