Engine & Gearbox New clutch assist spring

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by jbtb, Thursday 19th Mar, 2015.

1. jbtb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom john batt Uxbridge
    Hi all I have a petrol honda CR-V on a 52 plate with the dreaded creaky and squeaky clutch pedal ! I understand after a little research that it may be down to the clutch assist spring ! Do any of you know where I may be able to buy the new updated spring and roughly how much ? Also if you agree this is most likely to be the cause of this annoying sound (only happens when the pedal is coming back up ) if not the cause what is and step by step instructions on what to do if possible please!

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The creaky clutch pedal is normally the clutch master cylinder. Its a well documentated problem with Honda cars, quite a few people here have had the same problem and the only real long term solution is to replace the master cylinder (not expensive really to buy - around 70- 100 quid)

The clutch pedal assembly can sometimes weaken and cause a squeak itself as well.

The way I diagnosed mine was to grab the clutch master cylinder so your palm is on the base of the cylinder and get someone to press in the pedal and you will feel, if it is the CMC, the creaking through your hand as you hold it. You can temporarily put it at bay by spraying some Molycote Rapid G into the CMC by where the rod goes onto the back of the clutch pedal

Ichiban likes this.
  3. jbtb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom john batt Uxbridge
    Thanks Night hawk I will try that !

4. Honda Oxfordshire New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom martyn oxford
    Hi there; our CR-V 2nd Generation/2002 has same problem... Would wd40 be an akternative or would this make things worse?!!

Thanks chaps..

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    WD40 is not a lubricant. Molycote is a solid lubricating paste with low friction coefficient for assembly of metallic components so look for alternatives for that product type.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. Honda Oxfordshire New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom martyn oxford
    Thank you.. Another thread has suggested that -when squirted where the pedal goes into the clutch master cylinder- the awful 'creaking ' of the pedal can be cured: easy/stopgap to avoid cmcylinder replacement?!! What do you think - could this do the trick? Best...

7. Raf_75 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Raf York
    I used a spray geese on mine, got it from aldi, I think it was the 3 in 1 brand. It took a couple of attempts before it went away and I haven't heard it since. It's a lot easier to use and less messy too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :no::no::no::no:

9. Raf_75 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Raf York
  10. Nighthawk Guest

@Honda Oxfordshire ....I would use the molycote product but it will only be a temporary release. I would consider changing the CMC. It is a known issue and an updated version was made to counter this issue

11. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This was gong to be my first question as mine has this problem which I noticed after I had picked the car up yesterday. It's very annoying and sounds like a spring tensioning then releasing when you release the pedal. I will check as @Nighthawk has suggested later today now it looks like after only 36 hours of ownership it's going to cost me money already as I bet the crappy 3 months warranty they gave me won't cover this.

12. Nighthawk Guest

@MickyB ...if it does need changing mate, come on down and il help you if you like

Nels and MickyB like this.
  13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    @MickyB this could also be your pedal box spring bushes. I have seen on your model CR-V the spring bush collapse.

MickyB, legend-ary and Nighthawk like this.
  14. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks both of you I'm ringing the dealership up this morning and telling them I want it sorted as I've not had the car two days yet.
    My fault totally as I had pointed this out and thought it would just need greasing which they tried to do but they couldn't sort it. It's a main dealership Perrys Vauxhall so don't know if they will be honourable and resolve it or be stubborn and say we can't help you.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If they are not helpful, go in and confront them at a busy time and day when there are plenty of prospective buyers about.

Be firm but polite. :goodluck:

16. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have tried this and can feel the creaking in the palm of my hand, plus the pedal has become hard to depress.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Have tried to look at this @Beefy couldn't see anything amiss but managed to take this
    image.
    From what you have said I would presume the bushes are where the spring connects to the bracket at either side they look OK to me.

17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have spoken to the guy who sold me the car and he has told me to ring the service manager in the morning to get it booked in as it was apparent on the test drive and I did point it out then they have to resolve the problem. I told him the only option is a master cylinder change, no remedial action like pumping it full of grease it won't do it any good and it must be changed. He was happy and said he will leave a message for the service manager. So tomorrow will tell.

18. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sales: the customer said something about a squeaky clutch on test drive

Service: it needs a new clutch master cylinder

Parts: it's £150

Sales: we'll leave it for now and see if the customer moans.

Service: obviously he will, as he pointed it out to start with.

Sales: I don't want to pay for it though.

Service: sign here on the job card to say you've refused it.

19. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't worry Gareth I've been there before with my Type-S so no prisoners on this one I've used most of the money my mum left me when she died to fund this it's not going to waste and I'm certainly not paying anymore.

20. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh you won't have a problem when you go back.

Contrary to what everyone thinks, the dealer won't have to pay for the repair. As you've already had the car the bill will be fired off to the extended/used car warranty company for them to settle.

It's instances like this that reading forums make me laugh. People are too ready to go in to a dealer and have an argument. Why? A franchised dealer will invite you in with open arms. They will not only sell a part but the labour to fit it. Easy money badda bing!

Nels, MickyB, Nighthawk and 1 other person like this.