Engine & Gearbox New Clutch

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Chunkylover53, Tuesday 18th Jun, 2013.

?

Changing the clutch?

1. Genuine Honda clutch + labour at £355

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. LUK clutch + labour at £255

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Leave it for now

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Sell the car and cut your losses

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi

Basically my dad gave me his old 99' Accord with 75k on the clock. Insurance was pretty cheap so I figured I should buy it.

Since then I have:
    Changed the cambelt, water pump, brake pads and had a general service which cost roughly £300

Now I have been told that the clutch might need to be changed. Personally I didn't see much wrong with it (however this is my first car so I don't have much of a feel for this sort of thing). Agreed I can drive in third gear at 5ish mph but nonetheless I went back to the same mechanic and was quoted the following:

£180 labour for 5+hrs with 2 people working
    £75 for LUK clutch (apparently these are not that good and can fail within 12 months so he's unsure about it)
    £175 for a genuine Honda clutch (is this a good price?)

So I decided to get the genuine clutch which means the whole bill will be £355.

Firstly is it worth it, the car is worth £600 max considering it has quite a few scratches and 75k on the clock. Personally I am edging towards paying for it.

Secondly can I get the genuine Honda clutch cheaper elsewhere, as a student I am more than willing to switch suppliers for cheaper prices.

Thirdly, are there any other costly issues that can arise if I were to keep the car?

Sorry for the long thread, many thanks in advance.

2. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If it was mine id leave it for a while and see how it goes.

75K seems a bit early to change on a Honda.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What exactly is wrong with the clutch? Is it slipping juddering or something else?
    I also would leave it and see how it goes.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Here's a few things you could try: LINK

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well the mechanic took the car for a spin, he would rev very hard on 1st and 2nd which generates a lot of noise but not a lot of power. Also whenever I am parked on an incline I have to rev high to pull out. I have a feeling this is due to my dads habit of keeping the clutch at biting point whenever stationary for the past 10 years. Also almost 35k of the miles were on city driving and short journeys which I doubt helped. My mum says that I might as well change the clutch instead of breaking down at uni and paying a dealer £600+ to change the clutch.

Assuming I decide to change the clutch, should I get LUK or genuine Honda? Also is the labour charge reasonable?

Many thanks

6. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Nothing at all wrong with LUK kit... one of their clutches in my 99 Accord.

7. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Agreed . Never had any issues with LUK clutch kits.

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I should probably say its 75 off ebay for the LUK - brand new. If it were to be bought from eurocarparts then the price jumps to 160 pounds for the LUK. I can get the genuine Honda clutch for £150 so I am still deciding.

Also how much manual transmission fluid will I require? 2 or 3 litres?

Many thanks all

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How long do you think you'll keep the car ? If you think you'll keep it for a fair while, you may as well go with the Honda clutch.

10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I will definitely keep the car for another 2 years at uni, 3 if I do a masters. After that it depends on whether I can get a job and the salary I take home. Even then I'd only move to a newer Honda or a BMW, both of which will require a fair bit of disposable income.

Is £180 reasonable for labour from a private person (works as a mechanic - very competent and trustworthy) or should I call up my Honda dealer baring in mind the car has never been serviced by Honda in the last 10 years - always private?

Also is it reasonable to assume that the car will last another 3 years - with a service in between? I will drive max 5k a year - mainly short trips but 160mile motorway every month or so.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

For the age of the car, private servicing is fine. £180 sound about right for a private job.

It's a Honda man of course it will last, at 75K its still in its youth :Smile:

Although this is pretty low for the clutch to go ? Are there any signs of the mileage having been clocked ?

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention as a member of AOC, you can get a club discount from Holdcroft Honda (in Stoke on Trent) and they will also post your order free out to you. So you maybe able save some more.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'd go for a genuine Honda one. My dad runs a 6th Generation Type-V and the mileage is well into the 100's and only ever has to get routine stuff done (brakes etc). Private servicing each year also and the garage who services it keeps asking to buy it from him! lol

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I remember going with him to buy the car, it was from Southall Honda and the previous owner always had the car serviced at that branch with dealer stamp at each service interval so I am certain that the car hasn't been clocked. Like I said earlier, my dad likes to keep the car on biting point quite a bit which wears out the clutch I believe.

If I were to not change the clutch, can any other parts such as the flywheel etc be affected as a result?

Re Holden Honda - Tried to email them to get a quote for the part but the email address doesn't exist according to my mail server.

Looks like its 2 vs 2 on genuine vs LUK

Last edited: Thursday 20th Jun, 2013
  14. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So is the clutch slipping then? Or does it just have a high bite point? Nothing wrong with Luk clutches used one myself on my old Civic that clutch has now done over 110k miles!

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Seems to be slipping in lower gears and has a high bite point. I can start in third with not much hassle.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

What email address are you using ?

Holden Honda ? Was that a typo ? ... Holdcroft Honda

Here are the contact details of the parts guys at HH :-

• Mr Lee Powell
    Title:- Parts Manager
    email lee.powell@Holdcroft.com

• Mr Martin Gregory
    Title:- Parts Advisor
    email martin.gregory@Holdcroft.com

• Mr Gareth Rees
    Title:- Parts Advisor
    email gareth.rees@Holdcroft.com

17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I emailed all three of them. Lee Powell came back with a mailer daemon failure notice. I haven't heard from the other two so far.

Also I looked at the links provided to me by all members here and I am certain the clutch has failed. I've noticed that the clutch slips horribly at most gears (from 4k to 2.5k RPM when accelerating in third) - I can never get to the 6000rpm zone - also in general I'm very slow at pulling away unless I am very careless which is obviously something I don't want to try. I might be 19 but I like to think I'm a considerate and overall sensible driver.

Based on what I said above am I right in thinking I definitely need a new clutch?

Many thanks for your help

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to double post but I am taking it that I need a new clutch - how many litres of genuine manual transmission fluid do I need, mechanic said 2 over the phone but on ebay 3 litres seems to be recommended?

I was looking at this Genuine Honda MTF-3 Gearbox Oil - 3 Litres - Civic Integra S2000 CR-V Accord Jazz | eBay - although they have increased the price in the last day or so. Still it appears to be from Holdcroft Honda so I am happy with it. Is it the correct item?

Last edited: Friday 21st Jun, 2013
  18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda prices have increased recently the UK is yet again carrying the can for rest of Europe..europe sales and spare part penetration is no where comparable to the UK. But I digress

just sent Lee an email to his address and it didn't bounce back can you ring them tomorrow before 12?

19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

British consumers are always given the higher price point when it comes to foreign goods, in fairness VAT plays a huge part but still it is much above the US and somewhat above EU price points.

I am more than happy to call him, can you message me his number?

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lee won't be in tomorrow but you could speak to Martin or Gaz call up 01782 261593 just ask to be connected to parts.