Facelift Model New CR-V Engine For 2015...

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by TheDarkKnight, Saturday 22nd Mar, 2014.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Dropped off my CR-V grille at Holdcroft this morning and had a lengthy chit-chat with the management there.

A facelifted 4th Generation CR-V is on the cards for late 2015, but is not going to be extensively remodelled from whats on offer today - however, the interesting gambit was the 1.6 I-DTEC Earth Dreams engine thats being majorly reworked for the CR-V.

Apparently one of the engine possibilities is a 1.6 I-DTEC with up to 170-190bhp :Happy:

...but without the loss of fuel economy - it would return 60mpg-plus!

If this happens, I am signing on the dotted line!

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've heard rumours of a dual-turbo going into it :Wink:

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You are NOT far wrong Sir! :Drool::Yahoo:

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm aware mate, it should be going into several vehicles including the new Vezel if all proves true.

5. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That will be the end of the 2.2 diesel engine, unless they further modify it for some other vehicle.
    It is inevitable though. The 1.6 is a new engine design at the start of its development life.
    What we need to match the high power 1.6 is a new automatic transmission. The 9 speed ZF would be a great addition to the range and it is that, rather than the new 1.6 high-power engine, that would persuade me to purchase. The combination would be very seductive.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Apparently the rumour is that that the 2.2 I-DTEC will be overhauled as well - but as you rightly note, the 1.6 is just starting out and will be favoured first.

7. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If the 1.6 is to output up to 190hp then any revision of the 2.2 would need to exceed 200hp and 500Nm by a considerable margin to be worth building it. Then it would have to find a volume-selling home. Honda have not got a vehicle that needs or can use that power and torque apart from an American-built pick-up which currently only offers a petrol power unit and is unavailable outside N America as far as I'm aware.

Far more likely that the 2.2 diesel, lovely thing that it is, is on borrowed time. Its existence is becoming almost irrelevant when considered in the light of the development of high power and torque 1.6 engines that will considerably outperform it [the current 2.2] while also having a very significant economy advantage.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The biggest stumbling block to this increase in power is they have to make the current 1.6 Euro 6 compliant as conformity is around the corner (September 2014). For Honda to achieve that is a blink of an eye.. however

That may be a slap in the face for the current diesel owners as soon that engine is Euro6 the mileage will shoot up and their current cars will be less desirable and value drops.

9. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Euro6 and better fuel economy are unrelated. Even more EGR indicates poorer economy. The new 1.6 litre, light, low friction, variable flow water and oil pumps, higher pressure injection with higher boost pressure and bigger intercoolers are used to counteract the bad effects of tightening regs and lower emissions.
    Perhaps they will minimize EGR by introducing selective catalytic reduction? Hopefully so, as it will allow hotter and more efficient combustion while still meeting future emission regulations.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They will use EGR but may introduce SCR in tandem or adblue or similar additives to get by

11. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

EGR is a pig of a system and solution to NOx emissions. It is a system that makes the engine eat its own excrement in order to reduce the oxygen content of the intake gas so that combustion is cooler. Cooler combustion also means less efficient and sootie combustion, a proportion of which is again recirculated. The sooty exhaust gas that results has to be scrubbed by another large capacity device, the DPF or particulate filter. EGR is like running the engine without an air filter.

An alternative which can be used instead of, or in combination with a reduced level of EGR, is SCR. It is a system where combustion is allowed to be hotter and more efficient, resulting in a less sooty exhaust gas. Instead of reducing NOx during combustion, it is treated after combustion, in the exhaust, by introducing an urea solution, commonly called Adblue, into the exhaust just before a modified catalytic converter. The use of Adblue at a low dosage does mean an additional fluid has to be purchased periodically but the cost is usually offset by increased fuel economy. It is a very well established and mature technology, having been used in commercial vehicles for many years. The Adblue solution itself can cost as little as half the cost of diesel fuel by volume and only a tiny percentage is used in proportion to fuel.
    VW and BMW are already using Adblue in some models and I believe that it only needs topping up at every regular service interval or about 15,000 miles traveled.

Ichiban likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lets see what Honda roles out with partnership with Bosch.I know Hyundai are already using adblue in their current diesels so the spread of manufacturer using it is on the up.