General New CR-V on order 1.6 i-DTEC

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Lango, Friday 3rd Jun, 2016.

1. Lango Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lango
    Ordered a new 1.6idtec in white. Should be delivered next week. Only fly in the ointment is I'm really attached to my old auto Vee and will have a lump in my throat when it goes. Faulltless 2 years/ 27k miles and got £800 less than I paid. Who says Hondas are expensive to run!
    Couldn't stretch to another auto so back to rowing it wth a stick. Anyone got any tips on the new car?

Ichiban and FirstHonda like this.
  2. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Their great cars BUT diesels will shortly be blamed for destroying planet earth and you may have to pay heavily very soon. ( of course I hope I'm wrong )

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The 4th Generation CR-V gear change is so smooth and effortless it's almost like an auto!

4. Scubapauly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Stevenage
    Love the drive on our 1.6Dtec really lovely to drive.

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Just make sure you are doing enough long trips to keep the DPF in good health.

6. Lango Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lango
    How far/fast is needed ?

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm no expert, but I think at least one trip of 30 minutes a week where the car gets up to full operating temperature.

@SpeedyGee @Zebster - what are the facts (assuming there are some!)?

Personally I think DPF equipped diesels are fine with plenty of use - preferably including motorway use. I had my I-DTEC Accord for three years and it was as good as gold, but it was doing 300 motorway miles every week.

When my job changed and my mileage dropped, I went back to petrol.

Did the dealer not ask / advise on the choice based on your driving habits?

stuscrv likes this.
  8. Lango Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lango
    No advise given on DPF/driving habits from dealer. I tend to do about 150-200 miles a week on rural roads 50 mph rather than motorways

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

In which case @Lango that should be fine I think. As long as the car is being used regularly on longer runs where it gets up to temperature - from what I've read - you will be using it as it was intended.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but hopefully somebody that knows more will be along shortly.

If I was doing your mileage every week, I'd have a diesel too!
    - - - Updated - - -
    :congratulations:

Meant to say @Lango many congratulations on the CR-V.

The current generation really are fine cars, and you've chosen the best colour too...:Wink:

10. Lango Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lango
    Thanks. Should take delivery in the coming week. Hope white stays clean longer than black!

11. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Good colour choice ! Apart from being my favourite colour its the best for holding its value when you come to trade in. ( at the moment, fashion changes )

12. Lango Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lango
    I've always fancied a white car but we were not allowed to chose them when I had a company car. Never quite worked out why. So now I'm fee to chose thought I would give it a go.

13. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    When in the trade colour meant thousands in colour choice especially when dealing with fleet purchases. I've heard white called wedding white, blue called doom and gloom blue etc. With company cars your company would probably buy the least popular to get the best deal.

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Lango have a look through these links for some DPF background information.

DPF, Diesel Particle Filter: How Does It Work? (Engine & Gearbox - )
    Why does the DPF Filter get clogged with soot ? (In-Depth - )

The key things for a healthy DPF are:
    Use the correct oil.
    Ensure you keep the engine at 2-2.5k revs for 20 minutes every week.

Our other car (with a DPF) is used mostly for short journeys but does get a longer run (about 40 minutes) most weeks.
    However, it is sometimes keep it in a lower gear to keep the revs above 2k.
    5 years old and never had a problem with the DPF.

15. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Lango In addition to the tips above, I would add to use gradual acceleration until the engine is at operating temperature and try to avoid switching off the engine during a DPF regen. After a while I've now got a good idea when regen is happening - MPG goes down, gear changes are unpredictable and revs may go up. If switched off during regen the engine fan will continue to run and you may hear a metallic clinking as the DPF/exhaust cools down. Also, check engine oil level every 500miles or when you fill up. I use premium diesel for its engine cleaning properties, but views on the benefits of such fuels are polarised.

Good luck with your new car.

stuscrv likes this.
  16. Lango Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lango
    Good advise. Thank you

17. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Congrats on the new car - what spec have you chosen?

Look forward to seeing pics!

18. Lango Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lango
    Thanks. Looking forward to its arrival. Gone for the 120 SR in white. Will post a pic when it gets here.

FirstHonda likes this.
  19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Splendid!

Look forward to seeing it - hope the weather stays dry so you can give it your own wash/polish and then furnish some pics for us to ogle!

20. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    @Nels, I wonder whether the revs range depends on the choice of engine? It's really unusual for my 160hp auto engine to go over 2000 revs, and it certainly never exceeds 1500-1600 for 20 minutes unless I am on one of my infrequent long-distance drives. And, touch wood, I am coming up for 30 000 km with no DPF problems in sight. Like @Lisbon I use a premium diesel (Esso Supreme), and I change the oil every 10 000km. And I do have at least two, generally four, reasonable drives at 50mph for 20 minutes or more every week.