Pre-Facelift Model New CR-V owner needs some advice regarding Head Unit & other things

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by mickburkesnr, Tuesday 25th Jun, 2013.

1. Hello everyone,

My name is Michael and I'm new to the forum. I've owned a Honda Civic ('V' reg) before, and although it was the best handling car I've ever had, it was an utter pain in the a@~{ to live with. Anyway, I've come to acquire my Dad's 2004 CR-V Executive after he passed away in May. I didn't really want to keep the car as I was happy enough in my own Peugeot 107, but that has decided it wants a new clutch. It's £400/£500 I don't have, so I've decided instead to insure my Dad's CR-V and use that instead while I wait to get my Peugeot fixed. And, after a clutch going at 59,000 miles on a 2 1/2 year old car, I may be getting rid of the Pug. I do a lot of motorway miles you see!

Anyway, when my Dad bought this CR-V I think he was conned. It came with one key and the man said he'd send Dad on the spare key, it never turned up. The rear door cards have been scratched to hell by a dog along with the privacy glass. The engine warning light comes on (more about this later), and there is a Sat-Nav unit in there with no GPS DVD.This isn't too much of an issue, but what has become an issue is that I've had to change the battery in the vehicle and now it wants a radio code. I've looked in the glove box for the ownership book and I can't find it. It might be in the house, but we haven't gone through his possessions yet. So really, I'm treating it as the car never came with the book. I've also looked under the fuse box lid for a code, but I can't see one. So my first question: Where can I get a radio code for my head unit?

As I mentioned, the Engine warning light comes on. The day after Dad died I wanted to start the car to go and pick something up for my Mom, but the car wouldn't start. I called the RAC and they came out and diagnosed a faulty battery, nothing too major. I asked the bloke to check the warning light (thought might as well as he's here) and he showed me the computer. The car's computer gave a warning that there was too much air in the catalytic convertor, so it was misfiring. The light went away and stayed off for a good few days after, but when I started it up a week ago the light came back on. So my second question: What can be causing this issue? Would it be an O2 sensor or something else?

Before Dad died, I drove the CR-V for a week. It's a nice car, love the leather interior. Not really a fan of Automatics (as this is) but it suits the vehicle. And to be honest, anything is an upgrade from a Peugeot 107! Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what sort of milleage I should be getting from the CR-V, and Dad wasn't too sure either. He only used it for going around town, I'll be commuting from Birmingham to Kenilworth every day, a round trip of ~50 miles. When I had it, I would fill it up with the same amount of fuel as I'd use in the Peugeot and see what I'd get. The Peugeot would give me about 420 miles from about 37 litres, this Honda would give me between 320 to 350 miles on the same amount. My third question is: What sort of fuel economy should I be expecting from a 2.0 Litre CR-V Automatic?

I remember when Dad first got the CR-V, I went with him to put air in the tyres. He was adamant that the pressure was 30 PSI, but the tyres looked a bit too hard. I suggested it may be lower, but he was adamant he was right. I can't remember if I looked at the car's handbook or not, but I never really found out the answer to that. So the fourth question: What pressure should I put in my CR-V's tyres?

The final question really, and it's a strange one, is about the windows in the CR-V. This car has privacy glass on the boot lid, boot windows, and passenger doors. Nothing on the drivers door or the front passengers door. Is this privacy glass standard to the type of car or is it an after market job? I need to know for the insurance!

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and welcome

Is you car is JDM spec car ? I am sure the UK version of the first gen did not get sat nav.. Could you post some pictures of the car and its inside.

Did you get the error code of the Rac man for the issue with the emission \engine?

3. Kallanor New Member Getting Started

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Kallanor the car Mick has is a V reg that is a first gen not a second gen CR-V.