Engine & Gearbox New CR-V reliability issues

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by jbrown662, Monday 22nd Jul, 2013.

1. jbrown662 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi

after several Honda's both 4 and 2 wheeled which i have had great service from, I decided to go for the new CR-V which I collected two weeks ago. I am not having a happy time with reliability , problems with the auto engine off then on Saturday a breakdown after a total of only 518 miles. Anyone in a similar position ?
    :Angry:

2. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I have had mine for almost seven months and it hasn't missed a beat. It is the 2.2 I-DTEC EX.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Broke down in what way ? Battery issue or fuel issue ?

4. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    I'm the same as Robbie - bought on 20th March, 7250 miles, no reliability issues. In fact drives like a dream. 2.2 I-DTEC EX

5. jbrown662 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All

It appears to be a turbo problem now requiring a new turbo. In fact I have had a bit of weekend of it all resulting in me having to take today off to finally get the car to the garage. Bottom line is that it has taken me 36 hours of phone conversations between Honda Assist/Honda Care/ AA and the dealer to get my car to a dealer because the fault occurred at midday on a Saturday and the system does not communicate between these three agencies over the weekend. To add to my irritation the replacement car is a tiny Seat which it now appears I will have for 4-5 days whilst the new turbo comes from Belgium. This was not what I expected when I bought a top of the range Honda where all sorts of care is promised but apparently only if you breakdown on a weekday, and near the main dealer and they have a replacement available and they don't have to hire a vehicle.

Up until this point the 2.2 DTEC EX made me beam with pride . Believe me I am a big Honda supporter but I have never been so disappointed by the Honda system even when I was riding motorbikes abroad. One ray of light is my case has gone to Honda Head office for review.

I just wanted to know if I was unlucky or had cause for concern with others having the same experience with the new CR-V or is this a bit like winning the lottery in reverse ?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    We have a fair few CR-V owners on here and not heard of any issues from them. Also the I-DTEC engines are shared across the range and have been ultra reliable. So I think you've just been unlucky.

7. pscolling Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had mine since April and no issues so far! Out of interest, what were the symptoms? Did it suddenly just fail or was it behaving strangely?!

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm a little confused but surely a Honda dealer has a spare Honda to offer whilst a £30k+ car has broken down after 500 miles? Why a SEAT?

Also, Belgium?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dare I say pride of British Swindon engineering at it best , now on how does the world best turbo charger (Garrett) just fail on a drop of hat .Production fault or yet another Swindon howler?

Be think the latter for sure.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dare I say pride of British Swindon engineering at it best , now on how does the world best turbo charger (Garrett) just fail on a drop of a hat?? Production fault or yet another Swindon howler?

Me thinks the latter for sure.

11. jbrown662 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the comments. Turbo failure produced the warning light on the dash and a mile later power just disappeared.

Arcticfire - I'm with you why a SEAT ? and a pretty basic small one at that ? Apparently if you go to Honda Assist first you are only entitled to a a hire car from Enterprise. The rest of the Honda system just doesnt want to know because you have been provided for. On Monday afternoon the dealer said he would give me one of their demonstrators if I travelled to Southampton to pick it up during working hours. As a london commuter thats really just not possible.

My view at present is that evryone I speak to at Honda is somewhat embarrassed but no one wants to take ownership of the problem. Disappointing. my car will now be repaired later this week. I await the outcome from Honda Head office.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Do you reckon it's another component or a flawed build that may have subsequently wrecked the turbo? If so, would it not happen to the new turbo being installed?

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would put at the time of building it at Swindon , Garrett runs a clinical production line as good as the Rolls Royce aircraft engine at derby..it's a amazing place. A turbo to fail so early means forgiven object injection for it to seize.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes embarrassment will be written all over their faces at the dealership however the service manager would have already contacted Honda DTS for a factory engineer visit . So they will try to keep you away from the dealership and get you the car you want to take the heat out of the situation. No one at the dealership will ever give you a straight answer it will be governed the SM and Honda. So if you want answers speak to SM.

ask him/her If TESS has been logged and has a engineer visit from factory arranged ?
    what is the cause of this breakdown?
    Ask to see the turbo? And for them to show the fault
    I Reckon they will change the engine you may want to exercise your consumer rights if that is the case .i would be calling them twice a day for updates don't let them control the situation. If you get my drift.

15. jbrown662 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you

Yes I have been speaking to them daily. It would now appear to be a fairly major job as the vehicle will not be ready until 1 August - nearly two weeks. thanks for the pointers I will certainly ask the difficult questions. Still waiting for Honda Headoffice to reply to me depsite their reassurance thay wil reply in 3 working days it is a little quiet....

Consumer rights ? I am looking into these using Which ? but it does seem that new cars issues are complex so i am looking for good examples in a Honda context.

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    CAB are a good place to start, if they keep fobbing you off look into trading standard, this level of service is unacceptable both because of the amount you have spent and this is Honda so you should expect impeccable service.

New cars are so complicated these days I expect them to be less reliable add to that the legendary British manufacturing, not that some other places are great either...

17. jbrown662 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks all. Which? have come up trumps with a dedicated lawyer for the case. Honda Customer Services have at last taken the issue seriously ( 3.30pm today thats 6 days after the breakdown) and apologised . Legal situation is complicated in some respects but the Sale of Goods Act states that a consumer does not have to accept repair of a new item within 28 days of purchase no matter if its a biro or a new car and can ask for a refund of like for like replacment.

Ball is now in Honda's court for next week. predicted repair time is now 2 August so I will see what happens in the meantime.

18. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I'd be inclined to go for a replacement.

19. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    So has it gone bang or is it just in limp home mode with the engine light on? Not seen or heard of a turbo failure as yet on the I-DTEC please let us know how you get on. I have a feeling it may not be as bad as things seam. Did you get to know what DTC came up?

20. jbrown662 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Engine emmissions warning light came on so i stopped and reffered to manual. Dealer service centre told me to drive on. 3 miles later power failure. Ring Honda assistance who called AA patrol. AA diagnosed at roadside with a fault P1237 siad car must not move under own power. the rest is history,

Incidentally Honda Customer Relations still did not return to me despite saying they would have an answer in 3 working days. Day 4 I speak to them, new person on case, no idea of back history, after explanation says they are too junior to handle it and it needs to be referred but... soemeon would get back to me in 3 working days.

Now...I think I am dreaming...I have had Hondas since I was 17 years old and I have always had first rate service. I feel like they are simply trying to kick this issue into the long grass until the repair is done then give me back the car but worse than that it actually took four days until someone even said sorry ! This is a £30k + purchase not a faulty pair of socks and I am wondering if this is the same firm I remember ??

In terms of consumer relations they are turning a huge Honda fan, into a disatisfied customer with potential to turn this into a legal wrangle simply because they will not talk to me and help.:Angry: