Tyres & Wheels New European Union Tyre\Tire Labels

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Friday 9th Nov, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Further to this blog posted by me earlier in the year WVTA -Whole Vehicle Type Approval we now have a better picture of the new system and how it will work for us the consumer.
    The Introduction

On 1st November 2012, the European Union introduced a new Tyre label, in order to provide standardised information on 3 specific performances:
    1) fuel efficiency,
    2) wet grip and
    3) external rolling noise.

The label needs to be shown on tyres for passenger cars (class C1), light commercial vehicles (class C2) and heavy goods vehicles (class C3).

The following categories are excluded from the scope:
    • Retreaded tyres
    • Professional Off Road tyres
    • Racing tyres
    • Studded tyres (studdable tyres if supplied without studs are covered)
    • Temporary use spare tyres
    • Tyres designed to be fitted on vehicles registered for the first time before 1 October 1990
    • Tyres whose speed rating is less than 50 MPH
    • Tyres whose nominal rim diameter does not exceed 10 inch or is 25 inch or more

What the label shows
    Every tyre type produced after 1st July 2012 has been tested according to a standard procedure. The label shows the tyre's performance compared to that standard.

EU tyres 1AOCUK.JPG

Fuel efficiency
    Rolling resistance is one factor of tyres that can affect fuel consumption. The lower the rolling resistance, the less fuel is required to move a vehicle forward and the less carbon emissions are generated. The difference in fuel consumption between A and G-rated tyres could be as much as 7.5%. For an average passenger vehicle, that is around 0.65L per 100km or 2.45 MPG.
    EU tyres 2AOCUK.JPG

Wet grip
    Braking response is one important element of a tyre’s performance in the wet and is essential for safety. The difference in braking distance between A and G-rated tyres could be as much as 30%. For a passenger car travelling at (50mph), for example, that can mean up to 18m or 59ft in the case of full braking in wet-weather conditions.

EU tyres 3AOCUK.JPG

Exterior noise
    Exterior tyre noise is measured in decibels (dB) and compared with the new European tyre exterior noise levels to be introduced in 2016.

EU tyres 4AOCUK.JPG
    1 black sound wave = already 3dB below the future European limit

2 black sound waves = already compliant with the future European limit

3 black sound waves = compliant with the current European limit

Some tyres shown below may not be applicable to the UK market.

ModelYMTyre sizeTyre brandTyre modelRolling
    resistance
    Wet gripNoiseNr of
    waves
    Label name
    Accord 4dr & Tourer08-13ACC225/50R17 98VMichelinPilot Primacy HPCB702ACC 08-13Accord MI 225-50R17 121031
    Accord 4dr & Tourer08-13ACC225/45R18 95YYokohamaAdvan SportFA753ACC 08-13Accord YO 225-45R18 121031
    Accord 4dr & Tourer08-13ACC225/50R17 98VYokohamadB decibel E70EB723ACC 08-13Accord YO 225-50R17 121031
    Accord 4dr & Tourer12-13OEM205/60R16 92VBridgestoneTuranza ER370EC681OEM 12-13Accord BR 205-60R16 121024
    Accord 4dr & Tourer12-13OEM225/50R17 98VBridgestoneTuranza ER370EC702OEM 12-13Accord BR 225-50R17 121024
    Accord 4dr & Tourer12-13OEM205/60R16 92VDunlopSP Sport 230CC702OEM 12-13Accord DU 205-60R16 121024
    Accord 4dr & Tourer12-13OEM215/60R16 95VDunlopSP Sport 230CC702OEM 12-13Accord DU 215-60R16 121024
    Accord 4dr & Tourer12-13OEM235/45R18 98WMichelinPrimacy HPCA711OEM 12-13Accord MI 235-45R18 121031
    Accord 4dr & Tourer12-13OEM225/50R17 98VYokohamadB decibel E70EB723OEM 12-13Accord YO 225-50R17 121031
    Accord 4dr & Tourer09-13WIN205/60R16 92HBridgestoneBlizzak LM-32EC722WIN 09-13Accord BR 205-60R16 121030
    Accord 4dr & Tourer09-13WIN215/60R16 99HBridgestoneBlizzak LM-30EC722WIN 09-13Accord BR 215-60R16 121030
    Accord 4dr & Tourer13WIN225/50R17 92VBridgestoneBlizzak LM-35FA743WIN 13Accord BR 225-50R17 121030
    Accord 4dr & Tourer09-13WIN215/60R16 99HYokohamaw.drive V902FA743WIN 09-13Accord YO 215-60R16 121030
    Accord Tyres and their cards

EU tyres 4AOCUK.JPG

Mikem likes this.
  2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks bud, although I am grateful with my tyre knowledge handed down to me from my old man who worked at one of the worlds biggest tyre makers, I do not need any "guidance" from a muppet in Europe telling me which tyres are efficient etc.

He can stick his policy, and tyre, where the sun don't shine!

3. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, that is quite useful for someone who has nothing to compare tyres against! I would also suggest that Michelin are the tyre to go for if looking at all round best choice.

Is there a reason why lots of other tyre manufacturers are not included? is it lack of data?

Thanks,

Neil

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Point taken but its some measure for non clued up consumers to see what they are getting, the energy saving sticker on white goods and electric appliances goes to some way to address the minefield of information.

But you still have to do your research than take the stickers at facevalue, for me the wet grip and noise levels are of higher importance than fuel efficiency,if I want fuel efficiency I go slower. I won't be buying a tyre will a lower rolling resistance.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks Neil, I think the system is good it will make owners look at tyres from a different perspective and may even encourager them to look at their tyres and all approved tyres for a car after examining the entire specification of tyres.

We all know the tyre specification is a massive mindfield auto express did an idiot guides some time back and that was one comprehensive report broken down in layman terms which was really good.

The tyres listed above are the tyres Honda has to sell under the WVTA ruling. if you read up on the WVTA it the standard all manufacturers have to adhere to. Those tyres is the definitive approved tyres for the 8th Generation car.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

....thats just it though. The introduction of stupid labels makes people ignorant. They won't bother researching. They'll select their tyres based on some stupid, unrealistic test data from the EU that is converted into a pretty "efficiency" rating and be done with it.

7. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the information.

Neil

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Saja, I would'nt look that negative to those stickers. This is a fair comparison, based on objective testing. Same test for everybody. You can compare it with EuroNcap crashtests. They changed the whole market and showed us 15 years ago not all cars were the same and not the cars with a good reputation were always the best in case of an accident. Same might happen with tyres. For 95% of the customers they're all the same: black and round. Only difference is the price. Sticker might explain why a tyre is more expensive. Or why you do not need the more expensive.
    One thing is missing on the sticker I believe: lifetime (miles) under predefined conditions.
    Honestly: I like this.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will be going for Yokohama Advan Sport next time that for sure ! The Michelin Primacy HP is the clear winner at the moment.

10. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally I don't think the labels will make much difference. I suspect a lot of people buy tyres on price.
    People who are interested in their cars will take notice, but a large majority won't.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Anything set by the unelected clowns in the EU is hardly what I would call objective.

Further, the test parameters they use - where do they get them from? Most of the time they are pulled out of the rectums of another politican rather that manufacturer related data if only to serve wider political consensus on the EU mainland. Have to respectfully disagree here. There is nothing objective at all about such tyre ratings etc. No more than there is about crash safety. Its all done with fixed, unrealistic targets and covered in turd to pass it off as "pretty".

12. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It is clear you are quite pasionate about this subject, I would just convey that some people will find this useful :Smile:

Cheers
    Neil

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

LOL

I'm just very anti-European thats all. The EU holds the UK back. The quicker we're out of its clutches the better. Case in point - Switzerland seems to do ok outside the EU yet is surrounding on all sides by EU countries. The same would apply to us as well.

Sorry for the sidetracked political chit-chat! :Thumbup:

14. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Saja,
    Always happy to discuss and hear some rational arguments !
    - - - Updated - - -
    And what if those tyrestickers would have come out of UK: would they be OK?

Nothing wrong with talking politics, but reasonable, constructive replies work better. Thanks.

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would say exactly the same thing sir. It doesnt matter where these silly stickers come from. The primary factor for "Joe Public" will always be price. Motorists, certainly here in the UK, like to buy tyres as cheap as possible. That doesnt mean they are after cheap quality.

On the contrary. They want value for money, but as with most commodity purchases, price rules, not a silly sticker labelled "A-Z". :Thumbup:

16. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would tend to disagree. Say you have a new first time mother and she goes to the tire centre.. Lets say she knows very little about the differences in tires...When she went there she was simply looking for new tires. Now clear graphics show that one tire is better in relation to breaking distance...you think she's not going to stretch to spend the extra bucks on the tire labelled as safer in this respect . The sales people will definitely give the hard sell with respect to safety to increase their margin.. We see this all the time with anything related to babies ...
    The same type scales are already used with house appliances, insulation etc.
    Looking positively it also forces manufactures to spend more money on tire development which has to be good for us all..
    Note also , if this is a EU regulation, manufacturers will be audited won't they? Fail the audit and you potentially loose your manufacturing licence ?

17. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think everybody has missed something.
    Joe blogs goes to a fast fit tyre place, he won't see the sticker, he doesn't even see the tyres until they're fitted (after the sticker has been removed). He orders his tyres because that's what the tyre place says they have available (probably a lie, but the tyre available has the most profit).

18. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Saja, sure the price is primary factor. Totally agree. But without stickers: how would my neighbour, who represents 98% of motorists, judge the difference between tyre A and B?
    As I said: the stickers might explain why tyre A is more/less expensive than tyre B... If the stickers are the same: buy the cheapest of the 2.
    It's not possible to testdrive different tyres before buying them. The stickers guide 'Joe Public':
    - If he buys cheap, he knows why it's a cheap tyre.
    - If he wants 'value': he knows what tyre to go for and look for the cheapest offer for a high quality tyre.
    - - - Updated - - -
    But you forget that with the stickers everybody has the opportunity to at least make a very simple comparison between different brands/types. If a consumer does not want to make that choice: nothing to worry about. It's his own choice and we're free to buy the tyre we want. It's the same with cars: we drive Honda's because we know their strong points and they are what we want/need. But not everybody is the same: the roads are full of French an Italian cars, although it's proven by statistics they're no match for a Japanese car (build quality/reliability).

19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi

I would argue that most buyers (of non low profile tyres/ 4x4 tyres) even care about tyre differences than want to understand them. Thats why price, in most circumstances will be the prevailing factor.

Sure, the grading sticker system, as found on appliances, will aid those who arent savvy, but I have yet to meet a single person who has used that grading system to make a purchase because one is labelled "A" and the other labelled "B". Speaking from my own experience, I have bought many appliances rated "A" that have turned out to be crap. Now I read up on the product in advance, rather than just go by some EU-drivel-made labelling system that is no different to cow poo - both are waste products. :Wink:

20. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Guys the retailers have to communicate this to the consumer... It's now the law... There is a massive fine for not doing this.. It will prob happen but these retailers are taking a risk.

"Retailers (at point of sale):
    – Must ensure tyres which are visible to consumers at the point of sale carry a sticker or have a label in their close proximity which is shown to the end user before the sale"