Tyres & Wheels New Front tyres look under-inflated?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Sphinx, Thursday 5th Feb, 2015.

1. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I had set of 4 Good Year Eagle F1 - 225/45/17 91Y fitted to my 2007 Honda Accord Diesel on 31st Jan 2015 (last week).
    All the tyres have been filled to correct PSI as recommended by the manufacturer (Honda) (32psi Front, 30psi Back).
    However even though they have been filled to correct pressure, the front tyres look a little deflated than the back ones. (see attached pics).
    I am bit worried that I am driving around with a tyre that appears to look under-inflated.

I had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3 before these, and I don't recall them looking like this.

Is this normal? Will the fronts wear out quicker than the backs?

What do you guys think?

Front. Back.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Fronts always wear out quicker due to the extra weight of the engine and the fact that the fronts do all steering, accelerating etc. Check the tyres tread, all the tread should be evenly distributed on the road, if it isnt, then yes, I would suggest that its possibly under inflated

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Lower profile tyres can give the illusion of being under inflating. You could try bumping up the pressure by a couple of PSI.

4. Captain Slow Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United States Ken NJ
    It may simply be that the side walls on your new tires are softer creating the illusion of under inflation. If the gauge says it's at the right pressure, then it's fine.

5. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for reply guys - I sent an email to Good Year and this was their response :

Dear Sphinx ,

As long as the tyre is the correct size and load index for the vehicle then the pressures used should be those as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer .

Tyres will bulge outwards , this is called deflection and is built into the tyre design .

Regards

David MullinTechnical Customer Support & Service
    Goodyear Dunlop Tyres UK Ltd
    - - - Updated - - -
    Another question I asked was this :

Also, is there any benefit at all filling tyres with 100% Nitrogen only?

Their answer - see attached PDF File.
    - - - Updated - - -
    So I guess I will have to live with it for now.

I did say in the email that from an aesthetic point of view - it doesn't really look good, and to be honest I wouldn't really purchase them again and forward my feedback to their design team for future reference.

don't think I will hear anything back from them - but at least people on here will know for future reference.

:Wink:

Attached Files:

6. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

the accord is quite a heavy car so i think the tyre spec needs to be extra load or XL these tyres will have a stiffer side wall.
    I have uniroyal rainsports 2 without the XL and they look worse than yours lol. Great in the wet though.
    however they are making a bearing drone noise now. Really annoying.

how does the eagle f1 tyres feel? I am looking at getting them for my next set

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I only had them fitted on Saturday - so its too early to tell really. Personally I find the road noise a little louder than the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 I had on there before.

I check the manufacturer load rating on the car and its rated at 91 and the Eagle F1 I have on there are also 91 rated. I think next time I will go for the XL 94 rating.

The only reason I went for these is because they were on cashback offer from Kwik Fit (yes I know....<face palms>) where if you buy 4 you get £40 cashback in a form a pre-paid visa card. I also went through quidco/topcashback and got another £12 on top of that. So fitted my bill will come around £305 or so which works out around £76 a corner fitted and balanced.

Costco is where I had my Michelin Pilot Sport 3 fitted before - they also have an offer on at the moment where you get £70 back to spend instore. However, I wasn't a member, and it would cost £30 to join, then do £40 worth of shopping (booze!!). - Fancied a change anyway, and the Eagle F1's have had good reviews on net.

8. Nighthawk Guest

I have the F1's on my car, as do a few others here. I really like them, they grip well, arent too noisy I find, and handle well. Better than the Bridgestones I had on before hand.

9. Captain Slow Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United States Ken NJ
    Nitrogen filled tires aren't as susceptible to pressure fluctuation due to changes in ambient temperature. It saves you from adjusting the pressure all the time. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but it's nice to have if it's offered in a package (for instance: four tires/alignment/nitrogen fill).

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

I noticed a 2-3mpg increase with nitrogen in my tyres (used nitrogen for my last 3 or 4 sets of tyres, one of which on another Japanese car), and the car is more responsive when turning with them and wear less quickly. They also don't lose pressure over time like normal air does. I use a garage which only fills their tyres with nitrogen, I like it personally.

11. ChrisF Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Glasgow
    I run the same tyres and at 32psi they do bulge a bit. I run mine at 35psi as it is a heavy car and the roads in Glasgow are horrendous. I have had numerous sets of 94 XL tyres on my accord. To me they are much louder and surprisingly they also tend to look a bit flat. I far prefer the handling of of 91 Y.

I love the Eagle f1s. Plenty of grip even in the snowy weather we just had up here.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You generally always want reinforced (XL) tyres on the Accord, without rigid sidewalls they are more susceptible to tram-lining. You only require the 91s by specification, but I also prefer getting the 94s.

This is mine on 225/45 94W XL at 31psi all around. Bare in mind the petrol front-end is about 80KG lighter:

10489736_10203930159083172_8450689740448658282_n.

13. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I like your alloys - are they OEM?

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

They're the OEM Facelift Type-S, also on the Euro-R and Integra Type-R (DC5) and custom resprayed :Smile:

15. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Do you know if they would fit the Diesel version by any chance?

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah they would, same PCD :Smile:

17. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Excellent! - So when can I pick them up? :Smile:

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Ahah, you'll have to find some on eBay. For the record I've looked and there's a few individual alloys, but not a complete set I can find.

It would cost a few pennies to buy them all individually and refurb!

19. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lol. Thanks. Will keep an eye out for some. Cheers