Tyres & Wheels New front tyres

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by iceman2010, Wednesday 10th Feb, 2016.

1. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Need to replace front tyres, currently have some budget tyres that were on the car when i bought it and seem to have worn in less than 3000miles. Not sure why that would be and would certainly expect them to last longer. Usually have all 4 tyres on 30psi but have just seen some suggestions that the fronts should be a bit higher?

So 2 new 16in tyres are needed, good all round performance. These are the 3 tyres that seem to have good ratings by members
    Good year Efficient grip performance
    Michelin Energy Savers
    Dunlop BlueResponse

I've never been particularly bothered about what tyres I got in the past, usually something mid range but for some reason now feel its important to have a good quality tyre.

Any help appreciated.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I put brand new Michelin Energy Savers on our FR-V and she loves them. Good grip in all conditions, can't say about how quick they will wear but so far I'm happy with the choice.

I can't understand why people cheap out on tyres, it's the only thing hold you onto the road. Quality brand new tyres every time for me.

Nels and Nighthawk like this.
  3. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Never heard of a tyre wearing out in 3k even part worn should last at least 10k !
    As I've said I used to buy part worn from the old bill. They changed them very early and were like new for a third of guality new. Also used to use re-cuts on my cavalier SRI with no probs. I guess if you grew up with Xply remoulds the above are top spec lol.

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Tyres - don't get me started on how important they are and how people neglect them.

I wouldn't buy any tyres from the police now, they might be good brands and good quality, but they arent exactly looked after. They also bin them at 3mm

@iceman - personally I would go for either efficient grips or the bluresponse tyres out of your list. The energy savers will go on for ages, take a long time to wear down but I personally didnt like them on my Avensis a good few years back - found them noisy and squealed alot. Sounds like they may have changed the design now however from what Speedy is experiencing with them

5. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    No I agree, I wouldn't consider it now, it was ages ago and I knew a bloke who knew a bloke who worked on maintaining police cars. They were like new and from panda cars not high speed persuit vehicles ! I think it harks back to the old days when people would squeeze as much as they could from a tyre. I'm sure like you seen some horrors driving around.
    There's not enough on street checks for various financial reasons, with authorities happy to chase you to the end of the world because you drove at 34 in a 30 where as others have four kojaks on their cars.

6. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My FR-V tyres according to the door label should be 32 front and 35 rear. I have Michelin energy saver tyres on a electric car as they come with them, negatives are not good handling and wheelspin. I changed them to a performace tyre and the change is very noticeable. I'm sure the energy saving comes as a trade off to grip. Only lasted 14k miles too. Completely different car though.

7. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Budget tyres are purely MOT passers... I put budgets on an old Astra and within 2000 they were ready to bin!
    I like pirelli..

8. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Thanks for the replies. I checked what i currently have and found that the fronts are 91V and the rear are 94W. Are they not supposed to the same rating?

9. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I have my FR-V on goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2s...
    very pleased with them,,,,, looking forward to changing back when the winter wheels come off.

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. SaraJane Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think good quality tyres are one of the most important purchases you can make for your vehicle. I mean this can determine how safe it is to drive. Is there any chance that your car might be slightly out of alignment? this would make the tyres wear more quickly too.

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

My stance on tyres on here is very clear, always has been. They are the only thing keeping you connected to the road. Regardless of any other suspension components, whether you are running stock brakes or uprated beasts capable of stopping the moon, best suspension ever made etc and type of vehicle, be it a Ferrari F50 or a Fiat 500, everything transfers through the tyres and they are the only things that will keep you on the road should you have to suddenly undertake high speed crash avoidance regardless of your level of driving skill. Plenty of people who say that they don't drive fast so don't need decent tyres, not realising how fast 50mph actually is, let alone 80...

Personally, if you want to go cheap on tyres, you shouldnt own a car - put the lives of other people on the road at risk unneccessarily.

I have yet to meet anyone who claims that having decent high quality branded tyres are worse than mid range/no branded ones and that their car handles worse since changing to decent tyres. Its always the opposite about how different and more planted a car feels

Last edited: Friday 12th Feb, 2016
  12. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Mmm bit steep quoting you shouldn't own a car - - you could have the best set of tyres in the world but still be a real danger to other road users.
    I've seen people who bought their cars in to investigate grinding brakes to find there's no pads left in the calipers and their braking on the pistons ! Only two wheel nuts on each wheel, no brakes at all driving on the hand brake ! Cut n shuts etc, the list is endless as I'm sure you know.
    As said I can't warrant paying £100 s for tyres so personally will continue using part worn or second hand tyres at £10 each, checking condition and pressures EVERY time I get gas, and with many many miles of driving ( the moon and back in miles ) have ever had problems.
    After all would you rather have say a set of used Goodyear s may be 2mill worn, or a set of un knowns from the far east.?

13. Nighthawk Guest

As I said - my opinion that is based on lots of experience. I also said regardless of driving experience. Better tyres give an average driver (which most people are) a better chance of avoiding a crash. Most people do not know how to counter understeer or oversteer, or aquaplaning, or are able to read their cars to know when its off balance and is about to lose control. Most people when driving at speed, unless going in a straight line, keep their cars off balance.

I have yet to meet anyone who after avoiding a crash on the motorway and swerving at high speed has said, thank god for those old tyres. What they generally say is - "I felt the stability control and/or ABS kick in. That was close. I didnt think I was going to avoid that" Some who are slightly more knowledgable mention having new or decent tyres. . In other words, it wasnt skill that avoided that crash, it was technology and having a well maintained car.

Part worn tyres are lethal, yes they are legal, but so is alcholol and some drugs. The issue with part worn tyres is that the history is unknown. I am sure everyone here knows of someone who constantly hits kerbs at speed, slams straight into potholes etc. Tread is not the only important aspect of tyres - the strength of a tyre is in a sidewall. Part worn tyres are lethal. Driving a car is a responsibility - a driver who fails to acknowledge that level of responsibility should, in my opinion, not be on the road.

The difference between buying a new set of unknown tyres to a branded tyre is £15 a corner for my car - thats £60 for all four. Most people spend more than that at the local pub on a night out with their mates. I rate the safety of my family and respect for other road users much higher than a £60 difference

Everyone is entitled to their views, we are all adults here and I respect your viewpoint even thought I don't personally agree with it

Last edited: Friday 12th Feb, 2016
    Nels likes this.
  14. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    don't compromise on brakes and tyres has always been my motto. i often walk through a station car park by my office and am often shocked by the condition of the tyres I see on some cars.

I agree in many ways about part worn and budget tyres. I do find that through the mid range brands there are some gems that compete with the premium brands. I often find though there are good enough deals on Goodyear, Dunlop and Michelins which make them only slightly more expensive if not the same as the mid range in terms of cost so often opt for those.

Back to the OP's original question, I ran Goodyear efficient grip on 16s for my Fk3 Civic. Found them to be very good. Fine in the dry and wet and that was coming from using Eagle F1 Assym 2s on 17s.

Nighthawk likes this.
  15. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    In away I agree but - you could lend your car to a friend, or even worse let your wife drive it on your fancy rubber , would he or she tell you oh I'm sorry I hit the kerb at 50 mph etc. No they wouldn't so unless your the only driver you would never know. I'll tell you now, 90% off all drivers haven't got a clue regarding ABS . they just shut their eyes, slam on the anchors and pray when faced with an obstacle.Its easy to say steer round it but its human nature to pray and hang on !

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I would stick your rear tyres on the front and put the new ones on the back.

iceman2010 likes this.
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Brand new tyres always on the back or you do all four corners. But still people thing the FWD cars need better grip in the front !!

Nighthawk likes this.
  18. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I didn't know that, I heard on a freelancer you should replace all four at once but if you have to put new on rear. I thought as all the steering and most of the braking comes from the front then that's where you should put the new tyres ?

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

Auto Ali likes this.
  20. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Well as they say you learn something new every day.
    For years myself, tyre fitters I've used have got it wrong
    Mind you that was american, is their law on tread depth different.
    Perhaps I'm lucky but have Never experienced aquaplaning in my 500000 mile driving life.
    I must admit I'd always have put new on front regardless of RWD or frd as long as rears are good of course, don't suppose that rule would apply to my £10 specials lol.