General New front tyres

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eternal422, Saturday 9th Mar, 2013.

1. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just got a new set of front tyres on my 7th Generation. The last set were a cheap brand that were on when I bought the car and now down to the wear indicators. Got myself some Goodyear Efficient Grip which are rated good for fuel economy, wet grip and low noise.

First impressions are great - much better handling and the car feels so much better on cornering and not a slip at all when pulling away quickly :Grin:

Read some articles about fitting new tyres to the rear and putting the old rears on the front. Apparently it's better for safety and handling performance. But I'm more than happy with how it's driving now! Back to being a true Honda driving on rails, a real pleasure to drive!

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Costco used to make customers sign a disclaimer if they insisted that new tyres were put on the front.
    Now they refuse to fit them on the front.

Here's a michellin video explaining why.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
    SpeedyGee and Ichiban like this.
  3. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's interesting and I'm glad I seen this cause I'm getting two new tyres tomorrow on the front. No on the rear now.

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What happens when you get 4 new tyres? Use the bus?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Four new tyres are not an issue as they give you the same grip all the way round.

Another thing to watch out for, usually when buying a car is tyres that are all different on all four corners, seen this quite a lot myself.

So I've added it to the question list to ask on the initial phone call to enquire about the car.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Wow, I always thought that you should put new tyres with the most tread on the front! Good to know this now! :Smile:

7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Having spoken to the guy who done my tyres he said it doesn't matter and as my rears were almost new anyway I wasn't bothered so new tyres on the front now for 4 weeks and no problems dry or wet weather driving.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I do wonder about braking though. Don't you want the better tyres on the front where most of the braking is going on?

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There shouldn't be big differences between the tread levels between your fronts and rears anyway. If you've just bought a pair of new tyres then your current other pair should also be nearly new .. if not I would say you need to change those too.

If the current pair are fairly new, then the recommendation is that you put those on the front and the new tyres on the rear.

i-DSI likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This Tyre guys have the necessary expertise to make that assertion so faithfully ? what it based on .. where the wind blows or some scientific facts :Rolf:

I would recommend watching that clip again.