Reviews New grade Honda Approved Castrol Oil

Discussion in 'Member's Reviews' started by tomwillie, Tuesday 14th Oct, 2014.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I have been advised today by the service manager of Norton Way Honda, Letchworth, that soon for all petrol engines they will be using Castrol fully synthetic oil 0W-20 as approved by Honda.

Currently they are using Castrol fully synthetic 5W-30, which was put in my Accord 2.4EXi at recent 5 year service at 39000 miles. I also had the gearbox oil changed & car does seem to be using slightly less petrol.

For my S2000 I will continue to use Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 fully synthetic oil which I supply & Norton Way are happy to use without any problems being raised regarding three year Honda extended warranty with wear & tear which I purchased through them. This oil has been used in S2000 since its first service in 2010.

Apparently there is some loophole which oil companies are using to describe their products as fully synthetic whereas most are not true "fully" synthetic.

Any thoughts on the use of 0W-20 in older petrol engines?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is old news bud it was announced here In-Depth - Honda Discontinues 10w-40 Engine Oils • Honda Karma

The oil is not made by Castrol infact the 0w-20 oils is made by Eneos branded in Honda container and shipped by Castrol. Honda have given all logistic duties for all oils distribution in the UK to Castrol. However Castrol have made their own 0w-20 range in Castrol branding too, I think the Honda oil is better quality and cheaper.

I am now solely using the Honda 0-20w in all modern Honda for 2-3 years and its perfect.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've been on 0w-20 for a while now too, about to do my second change and this time with Honda Total 0w-20 as well.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've never tried the Honda stuff, always stuck Mobil 0W20 and it's always sounded sweet. I've never been massively happy with Castrol oils, seems to break down too quickly and the engine gets noisy. Happened in the Accord and is now happening in the CR-V after only 4,000 miles.

So am I getting this right that it's Total Oil, in a Honda container but distributed by Castrol?

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Mobil is my favourite oil brand, Castrol aren't bad but in my opinions many others are better: Millers, Comma, Fuchs, Silkolene etc.

Yes exactly :Thumbup:

6. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Found list of recommended Honda/Castol oil in this link: Castrol Edge Professional H 0W-20 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil 1 Litre [castroledge0w201l] - £10.61 : Cox Motor Parts Direct - Genuine Honda Brakes Clutches & Accessories

What is Honda engine type code for my 09MY 2.4EXi with K24 engine? What is engine type code for my wife's 13MY 2.0 EXi CR-V ? I have looked on net but cannot easily find the engine codes given in aforementioned list?

On my S2000 prominently located at front of engine compartment is a vehicle plate with engine type - engine number, VIN & another number. The above oil list recommends Honda HFS 5W-40 oil for S2000 type AP1 with F20C2 engine but I shall continue to use Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40.

On `the CR-V vertically etched on engine block on OS is a number K120924 with four other numbers below, is this the engine number as dealer did not write engine number in service book? VIN is seen from outside windscreen on passenger side.

However, on the Accord I cannot find any of this information on the car but it is written in the service book ?

7. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Found VIN for Accord it was hidden by windscreen wiper.
    - - - Updated - - -
    4th, 5th & 6th VIN Numbers for Accord are CU2 so I guess that's the engine code & for CR-V they are RE5. So just need to know about location of engine numbers on both cars?

Although dealer is currently using Honda Castrol 5W30 next time both CR-V & Accord will get Honda Castrol 0W20 oil.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Use the search Tom, the chart and discussion about has been up since March here :Whistle:

The Accord CU2 is K24Z3, the RE5 CR-V is R20A2 - both are 0w-20 recommended engines. You can pull the chassis codes from your VIN too, check the Guides section for more details on deciphering it :Smile:

I wouldn't worry too much about which 5w-40 you use, as long as it's from a quality brand.

The oil chart by Castrol is really just a marketing/promotional piece, Honda paying them back for the racing sponsorship. It's right for the oil viscosity recommendations, but even Honda dealers didn't stock the "co-engineered" Castrol 0w-20 after the first batch, most dealers will currently have in the Honda Total 0w-20.