Introductions New Member - 1996 Honda Coupe

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ricki_5thGenCoupe, Thursday 19th Feb, 2015.

1. Ricki_5thGenCoupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Northern Ireland Richard Belfast
    Hey everyone,

Im all new to hondas as my old car was a 220bhp peugeot 207 gti, not very reliable but didnt pull to bad!

Now I've gave into peer pressure and got myself a 1996 Honda Accord Coupe!
    (Only 11 left in the Uk according to How Many Left? Tho of course this could be wrong!)

From what i can see its a prettt solid with only minimal body damage and at only 85k its still a baby!

I belive its an LS (lx?) Model and came with alot more features than id ever thought it would! Cruise control, electric mirrors, seat, headlight washers, sunroof etc.

Its not very gutty atm but from the 2.0l at only 135 its nippier than i expected.

The plans is to frankenstein ot with a 22 and 24 and overall goal for 300bhp but thatl be few months down the line! Have been quoted 5.5k-6k (condition dependant) for an engine swap, bay tuck and respray? (Not sure how this compares as its the first quote, anyone experience with this?)

Only problems I've had so far are the interior light, can't get the thing off to change bulb!

And the headlight washers, can't get them working :/

Anyone advice would be greatly appreciated!

honda-accord-5th-generation-coupe-1. honda-accord-5th-generation-coupe-2. honda-accord-5th-generation-coupe-3.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome Ricki, as I just said in the other thread - they're incredibly rare cars. The 5th Generation coupe was actually imported from the USA, unlike the standard saloon (built for and unique to Europe) and the Aerodeck (imported from Japan).

@numpty67 may be able to dig out a brochure for you for more info.

I believe they come with F20s, strong and reliable engines.

A K-Series frank would be a K20 head on a K24 bottom end, there's no off-the-shelf mounts for the chassis but you'll be fine on the loom and wiring side. When you say a respray, do you mean the entire car? As in the engine builder also has a spray booth or just the bay itself?

Personally I'd get these things done in stages and not just chuck a car at a garage with a "make it fast and pretty" wish, don't get me wrong man, there's just a big wad of considerations for a frank build with tons of careful part choices to be made. A proper frank build hitting 300hp means a built engine - £5-6k including the respray seems low for the figures out want to achieve if you're paying someone else for labour.

Given that it's a F-Series, a H22A7 Type-R engine would cost tons less, and with I/H/E would hit 230hp. If it's just power you want, then turbo at half the price and make more power.

Can you take a pic of it? Normally they come off with a gently pry from a trim removal tool.

It's dependant on model, but many come on only when the headlights are on, and every third time you spray the windscreen. Let us know how you get on :Smile:

By the way, I quickly cut your photos out of the phone screenshots for you :Smile:

Ricki_5thGenCoupe likes this.
  3. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Welcome, thats a tidy looking coupe.

4. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    Nice car. Black suits the coupe.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Thanks for the thorough Intro :Smile:

Looks a really good example you've found.

On your headlight washer issue, have you tried testing this with the headlights on ? On newer Hondas the headlight washer, the headlights need to be on and the washers only operate once every 5 goes of the windscreen washers. Not sure if this holds true for yours as well.

Pop you car in the Club Garage @Ricki_5thGenCoupe you can then use that as your Project Log :Smile:

6. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lovely looking rare car.

Welcome

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Very nice car !! Welcome to the forums

9. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

welcome aboard Ricki nice car i like a nice shiny black cars, all cars were black when some of us oldies were kids :Grin:

10. numpty67 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Great looking car, always liked these and the Aerodeck. RE. brochures, I don't have anything in English but there are some European Coupe brochures on my Flickr page if you want to look at some pictures :Smile:

Will try and make time to get them posted here in the new Brochures & Manuals section.
    Collection: Honda Accord 5th Generation Brochures 1993-97

11. Ricki_5thGenCoupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes i had been told this beforehand and had put me off slightly as i feared about the availability of the more common parts, filters etc but after doing bit of research firm the local parts shops they said it wouldn't be a major problem so went ahead with it!

Ohh a brochure would be excellent!

Thats always good to know thank you

Yes thats it, forgive me as I'm completely new to honda and all there names and codes! lol It would just be a respire on the outside in the same black colour, just to tidy up a few marks and any stone chips, I'm bit ocd! The engine builders outhouse the spray work to a company they work in conjunction with for builds like this

Yea your telling me! We sat down to talk about it and once he began using the engine codes etc i was completely lost and had to basically just let him get free rain and tell him WOT i was aiming for. Since posting this i have been in contact again from the company who have gave me a figure of 260 from the engine build using parts we had discussed previously. The repray had been priced at 1k thru the company to remain the same colour with around 4.5k-5k (+ exciting engine) for the remaining work.

I had considered a turbo build but then gives way for more togo wrong? i may be overthinking it tho and the turbo build prices are alotttt cheaper! Im assuming the H22A7 engine is the accord Type-R engine? and that it fits in relatively simply? I personally will miss the turbo spool and dumping but my friend who has a 1996 Civic coupe is pulling me towards N/A tho this becomes a lot more costly..

Ill get a picture as soon as i get a chance to get a look round it again, ahh trim removal tool, need togged one of those lol

Ahh this may be the problem! again will try and report back as soon as I'm able to get to her again thanks!

Many thanks, looks a lot better!
    Also thank you for such a detailed response and insightful information!

many thanks buddy!

Thank you, yea don't think it would be as nice in another colour

Will try this once i get a chance togged round it again, on this one theres a separate button for the headlight washers. (unless said button is for something entirely different and I'm an idiot lol there is a good chance of this!)

Thank you buddy!

Thank you very much! First coupe I've ever seen with my eyes :Grin:

Thank you very much!

Ohh your showing ur age now! lol

Aww thats no problem! suppose i cud translate one and get the jist of it anyway. Will have a look at them now thank you !
    - - - Updated - - -
    *sorry couldn't see any edit button to edit my previous post*

@DeviateDefiant I've replied to each of ur comments within the quote accidentally! just so you don't think I've been rude and overlooked it all! lol

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome @Ricki_5thGenCoupe :welcome:

I had the saloon version, CC7. A beautiful car.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy your coupe. :Hey:

13. Ricki_5thGenCoupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you very much!
    Yes there beautiful cars, almost timeless!

already in love with it!

would be even better if i could find black replacement trims lol

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Have you tried Holdcroft Honda?

Holdcroft Honda
    Sneyd Street
    Stoke on Trent
    Staffordshire
    ST6 2PB

Telephone: 01782 261593

15. Ricki_5thGenCoupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ahh thats a great idea, haven't tried them yet as i was searching online and coming up with nothing!

thanks you!

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

17. Ricki_5thGenCoupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohhh thats great to know! thank you

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

There is a price to pay to us though...
    We need regular Project Log updates :Grin:

19. Ricki_5thGenCoupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

haha that won't be a problem! any excuse for a photo opp lol

finding parts is turning into a major set back lol and import tax will probably be getting a fortune from me!

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You should be okay, like older Legend owners the USA will have anything you don't manage to get here :Smile:

Fair play, I don't know what the proper colour is off-hand for the 5th Generation Black, but @numpty67's brochure linked up should have them somewhere. That failing, Nighthawk Black would be a safe bet (will be on the door card anyway).

If you can, get a complete list of parts, 260 is very achievable with well flowing I/H/E, aggressive cams, and no major engine work (depends on the dyno). Who's doing the work for you?

Sure, there's definitely more inherent risk with a turbo build - though with the kind of power you're aiming for (300hp) you wouldn't be running high boost (maybe half a bar on a H22A7) and that's pretty safe overall - though there's more factors to consider.

Yeah the H22A7 is the Accord Type-R engine, the F/H-Series engines are closely related, infact most share the exact same engine mounts so swapping in could/should be really easy. The H22A7 can be run with a P28 ECU (read: tried, tested and well supported) and the loom for wiring shouldn't be all that different either.

You'll have it soon bud, there's just a few restrictions on new members, read here for the low-down: Announcement - Rank Titles and Premium Members

No worries, I gave you a long response there :Wink: Patched up the post for you.