Introductions New Member - Legend 4th Generation

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JamesVR, Saturday 10th May, 2014.

1. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

James
    Hi members,

Just beginning life with a Legend. It is a magnificent car, just not sure about the ride and how I'm going to get along with it long term on rough and bumpy back roads where it will spend most of it's life. Motorways are a dream in this car though. It's apparent that it has quite few rattles which is something of a disappointment, but hopefully I can get to the source of those and sort them. Filled it up with regular unleaded because I didn't know they're designed to run on super, so at the moment I have metallic knocking sounds from the engine and it's definitely not happy. Soon as that tank is gone I'll fill up with super and hopefully that will make the engine happy again.

Love the looks, the interior, and the general refinement, and it is probably the most amazing car I'll ever own in my life, just hope I can bond with it!

Regards
    James.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK James.
    Great ride you've got there :Hey:

JamesVR likes this.
  3. Irishgooner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kell Ireland
    Welcome nice car you got you will enjoy this site best of luck

JamesVR likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Have always thought the Legend looks like a fantastic machine.

Welcome to HondaKarma :Hey:. This is a great site, am sure you will find the advice useful. :Thumbup:

JamesVR likes this.
  5. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

I know what you mean about the ride you will soon get used to it, the first rime you sling it round a corner at speed though and you will understand what the suspension is there for. For a car of its class it handles like it's on rails

JamesVR and SpeedyGee like this.
  6. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

James
    I'm certainly getting used to it now. Got my driving position sorted, and have done quite a few trips around my normal roads. It really is fantastic, and I feel it's settling in to being used again and becoming smoother, don't know if that's just in my head, but it seems that way. No idea how long it was sitting on the forecourt only being moved about a few yards now and then. Read the manual cover to cover a few times and found out a few things I'd never have known, such as the correct starting procedure! I assumed you just turned the key and held it in the start position as you would with most cars. In the Legend you have start control function whereby you put you foot on the break, turn the key to start and then release it immediately, the system runs the starter until the engine fires. Again it may be in my mind, but the car seems happier for being started the way it says in the book. :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If it's the recommended way, there's got to be a good reason. :Unknown:
    The engineers at Honda wouldn't have done it otherwise.
    Impressed that you've read the manual cover to cover so soon. :GoodJob:
    I do it in bite-sized chunks.

JamesVR likes this.
  8. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

James
    :Grin: It's always the first thing I do. When I went to collect the car, once everything was done and I had the keys, the salesman was very surprised to find me sitting in their waiting area having a coffee with the all the manuals out. I wanted to have quick flick through first, too bad I didn't spot the bit about 95 RON fuel being recommended, but I'll soon be putting that right on the next fill up.

There is another thing about automatic cars. I've always done this anyway out of respect for the machinery, but this next point is actually written in the Legend manual and I've never seen it written before. When it comes to parking an automatic car, so many people just put it in "park" and don't bother setting the foot parking break because they know that the "park" position locks the transmission. This is true, but it is totally wrong! The correct way to park an automatic is to shift into "neutral", then apply the foot parking break, then release the normal break and allow the car to hold on the parking break. Then and only then should you move the gear selector to "park". That way, the parking pawl does not get tightly gripped in the transmission. The parking pawl is not designed to hold the weight of the parked car, (even though it will) the parking break is.

So many times when I've gone to collect a car of mine from a service, I've found it parked on a slope in "park" with no hand/foot parking break set. When you pull the lever out of "park" you can tell how tightly locked the transmission is. That's so bad for transmission, makes me mad! :eek:

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've always had manuals, only driving the odd auto on holiday.
    You learn more than something every day on here :Smile:

JamesVR likes this.
  10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK James. Great car the Legend. Always loved Legends.

Would love to own one someday...

Ichiban and JamesVR like this.
  11. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

James
    I'm really glad I found this site. I only found it because I was looking for a downloadable owners manual so that I could fully read up before I got my Legend. Couldn't find a manual anywhere, but my searches brought me here..:Grin:

Nels likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get in queue sunshine.. I was first:Tongue: @JamesVR if you need any info for the Legend just ask bud. We need to get all the info no matter what our members need :Wink:

John Dickson and JamesVR like this.
  13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and :welcome: to Honda Karma