General New Member looking at 2012 Honda i Vtec Accord 2.0i

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by st4, Sunday 8th Mar, 2015.

1. st4 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Steve Glasgow
    I am interested in the above model and possibly the 2.4i. I do NOT want a diesel car, I do not do the millage to justify one and prefer a quieter engine at idle. I drive in town, live in town and will use the car about once a week to go out to the countryside as I am a landscape photographer in my spare time.

I'm based in Glasgow/West and have a budget for this car of no more than £12k. For that I really want a sub 35k miles car that is under 4yo.

I found this.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...e/up_to_30000_miles/postcode/g848da?logcode=p

Ok its Arnold Clark and not a main Honda dealer, but I don't mind that. Are main dealer cars really worth seeking out?

Can someone given me an idea of any reliability pitfalls. I know of the gearbox bearing issues in older Honda Models, does this affect this era of Accord? I gather the i-VTEC petrol engines are completely bomb proof and bar a freak of nature incident I would have no issues there.

I've owned Mercedes cars in the past and found them wonderful to drive, but shockingly expensive to buy, run and maintain and one in particularly spent as much time off the road causing me financial pain than it did one it. Its not an experience I wish to repeat.

In terms of refinement, which is a huge deal for me, I assume the car is quiet and refined and doesn't kick up road noise. If its comparible in this regard to a Merc C or E class great.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    There are very few issues with the petrol Accords, they are bullet proof. As a saying I have heard - "Two things will survive a nuclear fallout - cockroaches and Honda engines". I don't own an 8th Generation but I have driven a few and they are very comfortable, quiet and refined. Last one I drove was a 2.4 auto in Australia - lovely car indeed.

In my opinion, as long as you buy a car from a reputated seller (Arnold Clark are pretty big really) and the car itself is full service history, in good nick and your gut tells you no lies about it, then I personally wouldn't have an issue spending the 10k on it. My gut has never let me down buying a car so I trust it more than anything else when I am out searching (which I am now)

Refinement is pretty subjective of course - best thing to do would be to go out and drive a few different cars of the same model and see if it ticks the boxes right for you.

In general though - the 8th Generation is an amazing car and we have quite a few BMW, Merc and Audi converts on the forum. If you could squeeze to an EX model that would be nice - more gadgets to play with and who doesnt like more gadgets

3. st4 New Member Getting Started

Thanks, the toss up is between this and a Volvo S80/S60 really but they really push my budget. The Volvo's are dearer but I know will be lovely. I'll try a few out. I was in a 7th Generation one and thought it a most excellent car so I'm glad the 8th Generation one fits the bill.

4. Nighthawk Guest

My 7th Generation is a diesel but I absolutely love it - she isnt a clattery tractor like the other diesels, but I do pamper her somewhat. If i had the funds, I would go for an 8th Generation in a heartbeat. Ex or Type-S for sure - get all the adaptive cruise control goodies etc. The ES GT is a lower spec. Type-S is the top spec, then the EX and then the ES GT

Feel free to browse our 8th Generation section:

8th Generation (2008-2014) [Acura TSX]

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201410158234517/sort/default/postcode/onesearchad/used,nearlynew,new/fuel-type/petrol/page/1/radius/1501/model/accord/usedcars/make/honda/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old?logcode=p

I drove an S60 last year for a week whilst I fixed a diesel issue (VSA module) - I hated the seats on it, so uncomfortable. Driving a Volvo as a work car at the moment and I still hate the seats.

Brochure

Sales Brochure - Honda Accord Saloon & Tourer: United Kingdom 2015
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hmm - I see that car I linked to above has now just been removed. Are you bothered if its manual or auto? If you don't mind an auto, here is a 2.4 EX model with 32k on the clock

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503071500936/sort/default/radius/1500/model/accord/make/honda/usedcars/postcode/onesearchad/used,nearlynew,new/maximum-mileage/up_to_35000_miles/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/page/1/fuel-type/petrol?logcode=p

Ichiban likes this.
  5. st4 New Member Getting Started

How did the rest of the car compare, ride, quietness at speed, etc? It would be interesting to hear your views. Seats are a subjective thing, but did the car feel poor compared to the Honda, better or the same.

6. st4 New Member Getting Started

I'd rather have a manual to be honest and don't want one with a sunroof. They are rust traps and seen a few 8th Generation horror stories about rust. An Auto from google research gives more trouble on this model. 2.0i Petrol manual is really what I need and want. Cars probably sold, it was £2k cheaper than the other at Pheonix Honda near me.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Here is the other car,

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...l/maximum-mileage/up_to_30000_miles?logcode=p
    - - - Updated - - -
    Another thing, I have a DD40. A 2.4 jacks the insurance up a little. I can insure a 2.0i accord at 450pa which is ok.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hello and welcome to HK Steve.:welcome:
    My thoughts on how best to help you decide:

If you need the extra power, the 2.4 is, without question, the one to go for. However, do remember it will cost more for insurance, Road Fund Licence and fuel each year. How much? Well that depends on your circumstances and driving style. Having said that, we have many 2.4 members, and it's the right choice for them.
    If you don't need that extra power, then the 2.0 is the car you should be looking for. Don't get me wrong, the 2.0 is still a nippy beast.
    As you have already discovered, Honda petrol engines are pretty bullet proof. However, if you want to get the best from them, make sure they are serviced correctly.

Honda are the most reliable brand, and have been for 8 years. Japanese built Accords are the best of the Hondas

As for comfort, handling etc. go for a test drive. We can tell you how great they are, but it's better to experience it for yourself.

At 4 years old, they will be out of manufacturer's warranty, so you will be relying on whatever AC have to offer. An Approved Used Honda (From a Honda dealer) will have a 1 year Honda warranty. IMHO, well worth considering. Be careful though, as not all used Hondas have a full Honda warranty. They will have the dealer's warranty. Still worth having, but only valid at that particular dealer.

You may find it useful to have a look through this link at some of our 8th Generation cars. The Ex is the most luxurious of the bunch, but if you are adamant about not wanting a sunroof, have a look at the ES GTs.

8th Generation (2008-2014)

You may also find this PDF useful.

Attached Files:

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. st4 New Member Getting Started

Thanks, I will sample the car along with the Volvo's and come to a decision. Given I drive a lot at winter (best time of year for landscape photography which is my main thing) whats the rust resistance like. Are they galvanised? Anyone got tin worm in their wheels arches or anything?

I won't need a 2.4 or lots of kit. So long as it has AC, seats and a steering wheel and a gearbox I am good. Its the reliability and quietness of the car I am after really. The routes I drive on, I know like the back of my hand, Nav isn't needed either. Leather seats, can take or leave tbh

9. Nighthawk Guest

You are right about the sunroofs, gen 8s did have a problem with them. Got a few of those horror stpries in here too. Never heard of any other rust issues with the 8th Generation and their bodywork is guarenteed for 10years anyway if memory serves me correctly.

Please let us know your thoughts between the two cars when you drive them. Looking at your requirements, the ES GT looks like the perfect trim if you decided to get an accord.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Road salt is bad for all cars, so it's always best to keep them clean. As for rust, have a look at this:
    Your Car Warranty | Owners | Honda UK

Climate control is standard on the ES GT

11. st4 New Member Getting Started

I'm researching cars just now. I'm still disqualified until June then need to retake test etc, but want to plan budgets etc just now. I'm on the fence between this and an S80 (the new S60 just looks a tad small) but the help here has been excellent, I will post back once I try a these two cars and will post here regularly if I end up owning one. 10yr body work gaurantee is as good as Volvos so I am resassured. Only the sunroof was the areas I could find when I searched for rust and this modle on the web.

Thanks for helping me. One final thing, is this gearbox bearing issue that effected earlier Civics a thing of the past with Hondas of this vintage now? All I could find regarding mechanical issues with Honda petrols.

12. Nighthawk Guest

Havent heard of any gearbox issues on the petrol Accords (or diesels come to think of it). The Jazz's had a problem with their gearbox bearings going on older models, but this is just on the Jazz and never hit the accord.

At the end of the day, its mechanics so anything can go wrong I guess at any time as with any vehicle, but honestly, they really are pretty well bullet proof cars, and not too expensive to maintain either.

Best of luck on your retest

Personally, if I had that money to spend on a car, I wouldn't pick a Volvo, but thats my personal feelings based on partly, my loyalty to Japanese cars.

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I can't remember reading anything about Accord gearboxes, but like all mechanical systems, they will go wrong if abused or not serviced as per the schedule.
    But, as already said, no issues as far as I know,

For me, I've had three in the last 23ish years. Never had any cause for concern and I'm now on my 4th. I keep my cars for a long time. There is no other brand and model that I would trust.
    Happy hunting.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I had an Volvo S80 with a 2.4 litre 5 cylinder engine a few years back, compared to the Accord it was a big old barge. Whilst the Accord is a nimble mover, the Volvo despite it 5 cylinder engine was slow.
    The cloth seats were also very hard on the Volvo and ended up giving me problems with my left leg which would go numb. Took me a long time after selling the car to get over these issues.

I'd choose an Accord over a Volvo any day now, especially an S80. The Accord is more nimble, more comfortable and more economical than an S80. Having said that I', comparing the last generation of both Accord and S80 against each other, not the latest.
    But I bet any dollar that the same synopsis would still apply.

Nighthawk and Nels like this.
  15. st4 New Member Getting Started

Interesting that two people have sited Volvos for uncomfortable seats - I always thought this was the one thing they were head and shoulders above the rest.

I do drive a lot on rural roads, whilst I don't need a ball of fire, I don't want something thats all over the place either, tidy handling is a big plus as well as the reliability, they look good cars these Accords, looking forward to trying one when the times right.