Introductions New Member - Possibly New Owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Heckler, Monday 29th Jun, 2015.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi everyone

Just joined up to look for help/advice on buying a Honda Accord Executive Estate. It's the 2.2 CTDi Diesel on a 2006 plate with 160k on the clock.

Going to go and search for a buyers guide, but I always like to do some research and ask other owners on their thoughts, and if there are any specifics I should look out for.

Price is ok considering the mileage... which whilst high, doesn't seem to be a major issue for these engines... I've bought plenty of cars over the last 25yrs and have only ever ended up with 2 lemons. I know the basics, and will do full checks before even going to see it I'll also be checking the MOT details for previous failures and advisories and to make sure mileage seems legit.

It's the executive model with satnav... so I'll need to know how to check what year/version maps are in use... and can you tell me how easy it is to get hold of more up to date ones and potential costs.

Do these cars have things like a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) and if so, what are the frequencies for it to be changed... past experience is around the 100,000 mark.

Cambelt and water pump changes - Assuming the average is 60-80k (unless these are timing chains)

Do they have a DPF, and if so where is it filled up and how much does the fluid cost and how often does it need refilling.

Thanks for reading, and look forward to learning more about these cars... I already know I like them, I just need to see this one and make sure there's enough room and access for my disabled dad to get in and out easily enough. I currently have a Mondeo Ghia X Saloon, and it's a little tight on space, especially the boot for a wheelchair (hence looking for an estate).

There are three main contenders at the moment.

Honda Accord Tourer Diesel (Executive)
    Toyota Avensis Estate Diesel (Executive)
    Skoda Superb Elegance (just not one with the 2lt PD or V6 engines)

I'd consider another Mondeo if I could find a decent 4th Generation estate with the 2.2 diesel and all the trimmings.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Welcome and good luck in your search

The CTDi engines are bullet proof if looked after, so full service history is vital. They don't have cam belts, but rather cam chains which rarely need changing. I have a 100k on my Accord at present with absolutely no issues. I service her every 6 months and she has never missed a beat. They are fussy about what parts you use, especially fuel filters, so use OEM stuff, its around the same price anyway. Service parts for a Honda are not expensive OEM.

Biggest things about the CTDi is servicing - they really are fussy about being serviced on time. Other than that, they are pretty reliable, in my case and that of @Dave , ours have never put a foot wrong and he is close to 190k

Never had to change my waterpump as of yet.

The 7th Generation don't have a DPF (the year you are looking at - 2003-2007) but they do have a DMF. To change the DMF and Clutch, you are looking at close to the 1k mark. A nice easy way to check the DMF failing is when the car is turned off, does it judder and shake, almost like a bit of overrun. Again, Im at 100k and my DMF is fine still. Of course, it depends on your driving style.

I used to be a Toyota lover, had quite a few over my life, but when I bought the Accord, I lined up a Mazda 6 and a newer shape Avensis so I could drive all three one after another. (I in fact used my 02 plate Avensis as a trade in) To me, the Avensis I lined up to drive was of worse quality than the Avensis I was trading in. If felt cheap and nasty, I didnt even drive it due to the way it made me feel. I quite liked the Mazda, but preferred the Accord overall.

No comment on the Skoda or Mondeo from my side.... :Laughing:

Best of luck with your search, I am sure others will have their say at some point

Heckler likes this.
  3. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers for that... I used to own Mazda MX6's... had a few over the years and even ran the UK owners club until 2013, my dad had a Mazda 3 as a motability car but sadly had to give up his license on medical grounds in 2009... It was a nice car though... 1.6l petrol auto... so completely gutless compared to an import MX6 with V6 and over 200bhp (after I finished modifying it). :Smile:

Good to know there's no DPF to worry about, at 160k I would be worried about the DMF though, so I'd need to see proof that it's been done... The one on my Mondeo is currently starting to rattle a tittle at 105k

The Mondeo drives nice and is really comfy... but the boot on a saloon is cramped due to restricted opening and once the wheelchair is in there, you can't get much more in.
    ... but it drives nice and is comfy. The downside is that the saloon boot is just to cramped when a wheelchair is put in and has restricted access... A hatch or Estate would be much better.
    but the boot on a saloon is cramped due to restricted opening and once the wheelchair is in there, you can't get much more in.

The Mondeo drives nice and is really comfy... but the boot on a saloon is cramped due to restricted opening and once the wheelchair is in there, you can't get much more in.

The Skoda Superb is a bit of a tank... it glides around rather and there's nothing sporty about it... But it's all about those extra wide rear doors and leg room for my dad.

The reason for the change of car is that the Mondeo is just getting to the age where money needs to be thrown at it... more than it's now worth. So a change is required and my budget is only £3000 inc any P/X I get for the Mondeo... should easily get £500 as it's a Ghia X with leather and touchscreen satnav. One place offered me £700 but haven't got anything suitable at the moment but it's the same place I bought the Mondeo and they're good.

4. Nighthawk Guest

Heckler likes this.
  5. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The first one is a saloon, and I think would give me the same issue as the Mondeo... Which is the access, once you get the wheelchair in, it's hard to load other things around it... A hatchback is far easier, as is an estate. The second one looks good as does the third... I'll look into where they are and if I can get there easily enough... If I could get the price down on them within budget they could be contenders.

Thanks

6. Nighthawk Guest

To be honest mate, that was just a quick 5 minute search, if you spend a bit more time, I am sure you could find some other good examples. You can always bargain a dealer, its only a few hundred. (But then again, I ALWAYS bargain regardless)

Accords CAN have an issue with rear calipers sticking at times, I havent experienced it myself, but there are a few people who have. Other than that..... just put tyres on her, give all her fluids a good clean out when you get her and keep her serviced and you are pretty much sorted really.

Heckler likes this.
  7. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'd done loads of searches on autotrader, but with a lower price limit, so I missed these... One is on Wembley which is about 60 miles down the M1 for me... If I could get them down to £2500 plus my mondeo it's a serious contender.

8. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tourer boot is huge drop the rear seats and you can fit 6ft long fence panels in! I've had to replace both my rear calipers and recon ones are cheap so it's not really a problem. I've had both clutch and DMF done as I suffered clutch slip and at my mileage it wasn't worth not changing the DMF!

Heckler likes this.
  9. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Also check rear arches for signs of rust this is a problem on mine and it's only 8yrs old!

Heckler likes this.
  10. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Weather put paid to car viewings today... In this heat my dad just doesn't function very well... and he's already got poor mobility due to parkinsons. So we might leave it until Thursday morning before it gets too hot. Once I know if he can get in and out ok, and there's enough legroom... I can go off hunting/viewing on my own.

11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My father had Parkinson's. The mobility issues are very hard to manage as it progresses.

In terms of cars, all I can tell you is that my Father found my 8th Generation Accord easier than my previous Tiguan (which I bought thinking it would be easier at it was higher).

Once he was in the Tig he preferred it as if was more upright, but getting in and out the Accord was better, as the drop between sill and floor was reduced, and the door opened nice and wide. The downside was the drop down into the actual seat.

Good luck.

If it helps, the car he found easiest of all was the Renault Scenic - it was almost a walk in, walk out - so may be worth looking at some mpv types if you haven't already.

Heckler and Nighthawk like this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    My wife has got some mobility issues at the moment and having tried the FR-V she found it a lot easier than her current Civic and is looking forward to when the FR-V is on road (currently awaiting V5 from DVLA).

Nighthawk likes this.
  13. Nighthawk Guest

Been a long journey to get the car on the road mate, almost there.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yep, much longer than I expected but nearly there though.

Nighthawk likes this.
  15. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

He has the type that doesn't cause as many of the shaking symptoms, but all of his muscles have wasted away and seized up. That wouldn't be as much of a problem if not for what is termed Parkinsons Dementia... it has all the symptoms of dementia, but isn't actually alzheimers. This just makes the mobility problems worse because you can't get him to co-operate with you and he's constantly terrified of falling over, so hunches himself up and grips onto everything.... which causes him to slump to the floor and simply makes his fear of falling over worse... When he sists in a chair he slumps to the right all the time and he'll even go to sleep holding his head off the pillow... he's that tensed up all the time. Everything we do to try and get him to do things in a way that would help are shunned, refused and ignored. The loft is filled with little mobility aids that he refused to use... it took us 4yrs to finally get him to use a wheelchair and we had to 'lose' the keys to the little mobility scooter as he could no longer control that... He has no awareness of anything around him... A few months ago on the Motorway he tried to open the car door... so now we have to use the child locks, and we can't let him sit in the front because he slumps to the right... which inteferes with me being able to drive as he's leaning into me and I can see the mirrors, or change gear... and then there's the constant attempts at trying to push buttons, or grab the gearstick whilst driving... Which is why he has to sit in the back... but slumped over he's half hanging out of the seatbelt and he behaves oddly as the day draws on, it's something they call sundowning and he can go from a being OK to being a nightmare in a matter of minutes. A few months back he started waving his walking stick around in the car and we had to literally wrench it from his grasp on the M1 at 60mph because he was going to cause an accident... and for a 74yr old who can't stand up on his own most of the time... he's got a grip like a vice and tries to be violent at times... but lacks the strength to do anything other than attempt to kick my mother or push her away whilst she's trying to help him do something.

He was diagnosed at just 49, had to retire from his job at 55 and carried on helping my mum with her little business until he was about 62, but he lost his license in 2009 (should have happened a lot sooner really).. and the progression is just accelerating at an alarming rate. We are getting to the point where my mum is near breaking point and I think at risk of a nervous breakdown. If anything happens to her, he will have to go into care because neither my sister or I are capable of looking after him and he refuses point blank to let us do anything regarding helping with bathroom, cleaning him and dressing him and so forth.

Sorry... this has turned into a bit of sharing too much info kind of thing. But if you've got some one with parkinsons in the family... I'm sure you'll know what I mean. It's hard to comprehend how he feels or what's going on in his head... because due to muscle loss he finds it difficult to talk properly and with the dementia it's jumbled old memories... or a dream he's had whilst dozing and thinks is real. My mum and I were talking about what we'd do with some money if we won it on this game show... and all of a sudden he got upset, crying and mumbling incoherently and after about an hour or so of this... we finally figured out that talking about money and home improvements made him think they were going to take the house away from him... Possibly because I commente4d that doing some work on my house would mean me going to stay with them for a week or two as I only have one bathroom and loo... an innocent comment like that made him terrified some one was coming to kick him out of his own house and put him in care.... It must be so frightening for him, and it's incredibly distressing and upsetting for all of us too... hence getting this of my chest so too speak... You can't vent at him for doing things because some times he's unable to stop or simply doesn't realise... but sometimes he does things deliberately just to annoy and provoke... Like when we caught him deliberately laying down as if he'd fallen and could accuse us of not coming to help him for ages... He might have got away with it if not for the fact he never called out, never used the alarm button he wears and took a pillow of the bed to rest his head on.. downstairs in the hallway. :Smile: He had to go upstairs, get the pillow and come back down and then lay down on the floor in the hallway just so we'd have to help and he could make us feel guilty.

That makes me sound terrible I know... but it's a terrible illness that can turn the nicest of people into cruel caricatures of their former selves because it only brings out the worst side of them.

Anyway... the Accord Tourer we went to look at on Thursday was a joke... they knew we were coming, they knew my dad was disabled and they knew the time we were going to be there... when we arrived, the car was filthy and completely dead.... we were given the keys by the receptionist and couldn't even open up the car or the boot... Only the drivers door. Managed to crawl over and open the rear door and my dad could get in and out... no different from getting in and out of the Mondeo I currently have,... after 25 mins... not a single sales person had even bothered to come over after being specifically told we were there and we had a person with a disability... and they weren't busy, not a single other customer on the lot.

I took the keys back to reception... told them I wasn't impressed with their service and had zero confidence in them or their vehicles and we were leaving in disgust.

A complete waste of time and a 70 mile round trip... I'd be happy to name and shame them if it's allowed.

Went to a local dealer Friday and had a look around... but they had nothing in at all that wasn't vastly overpriced or no bigger than a rabbit hutch. But they did have a 2010 CR-V which was nice... but too high to get into for my dad, getting out would have been easy but getting in far harder than the Mondeo.

The only car they had in that was the perfect height was a Seat Altezza... but far too small a car and it has horrible seats that are so uncomfortable.

As for the scenic... he had one as a motability car back around 1998-2001 and if not for my hatred of French cars and the fact they roll like crazy on any bend... I'd consider it... But I've never known anyone have a French car that wasn't unreliable, ridiculously expensive to maintain and repair and has styling that makes the cast of Geordie shore look good. :Smile:

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^As you say, until you've lived with somebody with Parkinsons, you can never know how dreadful it is. Most people think - as I did - that it causes a few shakes. Nothing could be further from the truth.

^^Unfortunately, that was why I got rid of mine a few years ago - lots of little problems all the time, and I always thought there was a big problem jut around the corner.

Heckler likes this.
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Sorry to hear of your father's condition @Heckler, I can only begin to imagine how tough it is both for him and the whole family.

Heckler likes this.
  18. Nighthawk Guest

Likewise, sorry to hear about your father @Heckler , I have never had a family member in that position before and can only imagine how hard it must be for you all

Heckler likes this.
  19. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers for the support guys... it does mean a lot... until you actually experience something like it... it's virtually impossible to explain or comprehend what it's like. Not something that I'd wish upon an enemy to use the old saying.

Anyway... back to car talk. :Smile:

The potential list at the moment stands as follows... top 3 are in order the rest are mainly backups if I can't find the right one and time runs out for my current car. I've ruled out a lot of cars as either unsuitable or I simply don't like them. That includes anything French, Vectra, Signum and anything with the VAG 2lt PD engine because of the dreadful oil pump design and failure rate. I ruled out the CR-V due to it's height and I was going to rule out the Nissan X-Trail until I found out that you can adjust the ride height for road and off road use. So if it would lower enough to allow my dad to get in and out easier, and only be raised up if needed to use off road a little... Might still be a potential. I don't think the CR-V has this feature.

1: Honda Accord Tourer Ex - Leather,satnav, cruise, heated seats, blue-tooth and all the trimmings would be nice.
    2: Toyota Avensis Estate... model is still unsure as they seem to have so many, T, TR, T180, T3, T4... all of which say they have satnav, but some appears to be a low rent version like the old travel pilot crap they put in some mondeo's.
    3: Volvo V70 - Hard to find a manual diesel with leather and satnav and I don't trust auto's because if it starts to slip it's a car killer.
    4: Ford Mondeo 4th Generation... Would prefer an estate, but hatch would be ok if it was top of the line Titanium X and no way would I compromise of features for a hatch.
    5: Vauxhall Insignia, same as the mondeo... hired a hatch for a week a few years ago and it was really nice and gave 52mpg on a holiday. But would want all the features and prefer an estate.
    6: Honda FR-V - This was suggested by some one and I need to look at one before deciding if it stays on the list... but the ones I've seen within my budget so far are low on features and a little basic.
    7: Saab 9-5 Estate - I like the look of these cars, but the fact they're no longer in business makes me wary due to parts availability. I know they share a lot in common with Vauxhall/GM which makes me extra wary.

I know this is a Honda forum... but if you can think of anything else please suggest it... Just needs to be suitable with plenty of rear leg room and boot space.

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Just a thought - and it may be a bit small - but what about the Ford Fusion?

I'd also suggest you have a think about the Korean brands, Kia and Hyundai. Not exactly sure what they may have, but worth thinking about. Also the Vauxhall MPV, which is a Vectra underneath I guess - the Zafira.

We are a Honda forum, but I like to think we are pretty balanced when it comes to questions like this. As long as the answer isn't Audi anyway...:Laughing:

Heckler and Ichiban like this.