Introductions New owner, 2 days in and DPF light on

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tyrbiter, Tuesday 13th Mar, 2012.

1. Tyrbiter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi folks

I am the happy owner of an 8th Generation 2.2i-DTEC Tourer with 102K miles on the clock and FSH, 1 owner from new (fleet vehicle).

Picked the car up on Sunday, drove about 20 miles to get used to it. Then did my normal 65 mile round trip commute yesterday but had the DPF light come on about 1 mile from home in the evening. Trip is about 2/3 70mph dual carriageway and 1/3 50mph single carriageway. Today I drove to work in 3rd/4th gear keeping the revs up in the hope that it would help regenerate the DPF, but 33 miles later the light was still on.

So, question is whether this will sort itself out or not. I shall run home at higher revs tonight (trip takes about 35-40 minutes) but if the regen isn't complete by then is it going to be a dealer job? I have not seen the Check System warning or exclamation mark so maybe it will settle down.

Really like the car in any case, a very pleasant drive and a nice experience for my first diesel car.

--

Brian

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Friday 21st Mar, 2014
  3. Tyrbiter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, I found those links earlier and read them, I did see that the light showing is the 16g of soot 'A' case in the DPF explanation, but I didn't get the flashing symbol or light before this came on. Tonight I ran home at 3300rpm in 4th gear on dual carriageway and about 2600rpm on single carriageway, I couldn't manage to always keep above 40mph though due to a few roundabouts and junctions. When I arrived home the light was still lit but maybe it will clear when I start up in the morning. Does that happen or will the light normally go out while driving? All a learning experience I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 21st Mar, 2014
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ideally you should continue driving until the light goes out if you stop then the process is interrupted.When the regeneration process is running the temperature in the engine bay do exceed normal operating thresholds and this excessive heat is bad when stationary.

I personally haven't seen a Accord with this situation to see where the radiator fans continue to run for three to four minutes after the car has been switched off.On the new 9th Generation Civic they have put this countermeasure to avoid this hot spot within the engine in case the owners switched off the engine whist regeneration. Which I think is a brilliant way to combat heat soak.

You can speak to Holdcroft Honda they have a additive which aids cleaning of the DPF and it is approved by Honda , stick to DPF engine oils and give the car a proper stretch every week on the motorway.

Additionally If I were you to have proper peace of mind call your local Honda dealer speak to the service advisor give them your car VIN number and ask them if they can look is there is any outstanding product updates or ECU updates outstanding. The I-DTEC has had numerous and continuous development on this area.

5. Tyrbiter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have just called my local dealer and spoken to them, a VIN check reveals no outstanding product updates and as the car was serviced at a Honda dealer in December they told me that all the ECU updates will have been applied at that point.

I quizzed him on the DPF light and he told me that I'm quite safe to continue driving it and that I just need to organise a sustained run up the motorway and wait until the light goes out.

Agreed on the fan overrun idea, it makes sense. I hear lots of cars sitting there with their fans running after they are parked so clearly there are plenty of manufacturers that arrange it that way. Renaults seem to be a clear favourite for this approach, most sound like a hovercraft trying to lift off.

I'm also awaiting delivery of some Castrol EDGE 0W-30 oil from Opie Oils, I realise the need to use the correct stuff. It meets the ACEA C2/C3 standards so is the retail version of the oil that Honda dealers use.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Brian we have a trader on here called Lubetech which supplies 25 litres of low saps. if you are handy with the spanners the cost of oil change can be spread to a low amount and you can even afford to frequently engine oil changes. Which is better for the car and your investement.

Buying in bulk will give you more economies of scale rather than buying smaller tubs.if you are interested in the discount code drop me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    Breester likes this.
  7. Tyrbiter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK, I will remember that. Certainly works out at less £ per litre that way.

8. Tyrbiter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well it looks cheaper in the long term, I will certainly consider it in the future.

Have also found the Tunap 184 DPF cleaning fuel additive, which I think is the one you were referring to. I've ordered a bottle to see if it helps.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good you found it please do a review so it can help other diesel owners.

10. Tyrbiter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I certainly will once I've added it to the tank. Waiting for delivery at present.

The good news is that as I drove to work this morning I noticed that the fuel consumption seemed a bit higher than I expected, so thought there might be some DPF regeneration going on. A couple of minutes later I noticed that the DPF symbol had gone and the "i" symbol was no longer lit so it looks like the system had decided the pressure drop across the filter is now down to a lower level. No doubt a cruise on the motorway would have achieved this more quickly but my work route doesn't allow for a sustained cruise.

Anyway, I am now much more confident that the car can sort itself out in this situation and the additive can only help to make the situation even better.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good news all round , all it takes is people understanding how the DPF works everyone starts to slate it when they see the warning lamp on.

12. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good news and welcome to AOC. Hopefully with your journey distance it'll give the car plenty of running to keep the DPF clear.

13. Tyrbiter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, I expect it will help but I shall be going for a bit of a blast from time to time to give the car a good blow through.

14. amt29 New Member Getting Started

I too have bought an 08 Accord 2.2 I-DTEC Tourer. Picked it up from an independant dealer in early April. After doing around 50 miles the DPF light came and I lost engine power. The light was immediately the DPF indicator with an exclamation light (meaning take to dealer straight away, don't drive it like this). Took it striaght to the dealer I bought it from and they arranged for it to be regenerated at Honda in Bristol.

It came back good to go next day. 100 miles further on (mostly motorway mileage) and the light came back on, again with he exclamation immediately, no other pre warning to regenerate. It went back to Honda who regenerated it again, saying they had to do it twice to get the light to go out (so my dealer said!). Feeling a bit worried by now.

So, another 100 miles and the light comes on again and I have just dropped it back at the dealers. This time dealer say they are going to remove the filter and blast it clean and put back in. Has anyone any experience with DPF cleaning like this? Is it a reasonable repair or should I be pushing them to put in a new filter (around £700 I believe)?

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome to AOC Amt29, since you have bought this car from an independent they would not have the means to see if you car has any outstanding software updates.

I would assumed when it went into Bristol Honda they would have highlighted this.This is not uncommon when cars have come into independent hands after being in a fleet you are not alone and certainly not the last.

There are numerous threads on here highlighting what to look out for DPF and their maintenance, as for removing the filter etc why they need to go into so heavy is anyone guess? Do you know when the car was serviced and if the correct engine oil was used , as they is no point getting the DPF regenerated when the oil spec is wrong, it will continue block the DPF.

16. amt29 New Member Getting Started

Thanks for reply. I will check the VIN with Honda and see what software updates are required - the service manual has Honda stamps upto 80k and it has now done 90k, so hopefully most updates will have been done.
    The independant dealer serviced it last month, so I will also check what oil they used. I would assume they used fully synthetic 0W30 or 5W30, but perhaps not! Does the oil need to have an additive in order to be DPF suitable, as per the oil from the lubetechshop?
    Apologies if I am asking things that are answered elsewhere on here, I'll spend some time researching now.

17. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Tbh I wouldn't assume anything with independent dealers, they may have just used what was in the oil drum at the back of the garage at time of the service. I'd either phone the independent dealer and have the oil spec confirmed or do an oil change for peace of mind.