FR-V/1st Gen New owner - FR-V problems

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Andraz3d, Monday 15th Apr, 2013.

1. Andraz3d Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone

I am a complete rookie on this forum, and the same goes to Honda ownership. Used to own fords, mazdas, VAG stuff, Fiat... Lately Fiat croma. In general I find myself quite passionate car owner.

anyhow, I bought a used FR-V (1.8 manual, 2008, 130k km, just converted to LPG prins - problems described are with LPG off AND on, 0-30 oil, filters, plugs, transmission oil just changed) 6 months ago and I believe I have a few problems that require your assistance:

1. When breaking, clutch and brakes pressed, I often somehow force the engine to go below 1000 RPM, to around 500. This is accompanied with pretty annoying shake. Diagnostic computer has not shown anything so far... Any ideas what might be wrong?

2. clutch is, in general, quite hard and heavy, very inaccurate (while transmission is freakin awesomely accurate) and squeaks a bit. I believe it is coming to the end of its life cycle, but I am wondering if the new one will be just as heavy and inaccurate? I have to tell that I am not finding any problems in high gears and clutch grip (not sure if this is the right english word) that usually indicates clutch wear.

3. Average consumption on gasoline is around 9 litres, city driving. I find it quite high and blame it to the lack of torque in low rpms. I drive skoda superb 1.8 TSI quite often (manual) and it consumes around 1 liter less... Highway driving (130kmh) gets me around 7.5 litres. Do you find these numbers normal or should I be re-checking some lambdas or something like this? LPG consumption is 1-2 liters higher, as expected.

4. In around 10k km I chewed through almost perfect texstar brake pads. I see that disc radius is not large and the cars is heavy, but this is still surprising. I do blame it on the texstar crappy quality, so I will be changing disks (one is a bit wobbly anyhow) and brake pads to ATE brand ( I had them on croma and were awesome ). Any comments?

help much obliged.

2. Andraz3d Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmmm

I understand FR-V is not VW golf when it comes to popularity, but I was still hoping to get some feedback :Smile:

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Andraz, welcome to AOC.

Sorry, I don't recall seeing this thread before, so never got chance to reply. I'm not an FR-V owner but I'll post my thoughts on your issues in a few moments.

4. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Hi Andraz, sorry can't help with FR-V questions, and as you say there is not that many owners about, but sure someone will be along to advise you soon. Meanwhile welcome to the AOC

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

1) If your braking and the engine changes behaviour, this would indicate an issue with your brake servo. This relies on the vacuum generated by the engine. It appears as though, from your description when your breaking there seems to be a vacuum leak (maybe inside the brake servo) which in turn affects the engine as it then has unmeasured air to content with.

2) Hard clutch could be pressure plate issue or issue with master/slave cylinders. What is the mileage on your FR-V ?
    You could try having the clutch fluid replaced and air bled.

3) Not sure about consumption, hopefully another FR-V owner can advise you on that. But FR-V is much bigger car than a Skoda Superb so consumption will be alittle worse.

4) Again what is the mileage on your FR-V, could be slightly sticky calipers, a caliper overhaul should fix this.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I have had another read of your issue number 1. I think you mean coming to a halt, the idle drop too low.

Did you have this issue before the LPG conversion ? The LPG system taps into the cars vacuum, it could be that one of these connections is leaking vacuum.
    Have this checked out. This would affect both fuels.

6. Andraz3d Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

whoo, I guess begging a bit for answers does magic :Smile:

thank you all

Speedygee:

1. hmmm, interesting thoughts. I had a vacuum leak on my Croma, but that resulted in loss of servo assisted breaking and not RPM changes. Interesting.
    2. milage: 130k km.
    3. skoda superb: 1500kg, FR-V: almost 1600kg. interesting. I would bet my life that it is the opposite. Skoda is 1.3 meters longer! That is what, smart fortwo size :Smile:
    4. I was also thinking of this, but since the weight of the car is so enormous, it does make sense that this shows on the brake wear. Skoda, for example, has around 310 - 360 mm front disk radius, FR-V is around 280. This, in theory, should also explain a bit around pad wear.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, I had this issue before LPG conversion.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Andraz, you'll find usually here on AOC you will get answers real quick. I don't know why your thread got missed but that's a very rare occurance.

See my updated thoughts on the first issue, I think I misread what you were saying first time round.

- - - Updated - - -

So it may not be a vacuum related issue then.

Have the throttle body removed and cleaned. Could be a dirty/sticking/failing IACV (Idle Air Control Valve).

Are you capable of doing that yourself, if so take some pictures whilst you do it and post here. :Thumbup:

8. Andraz3d Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would be capable of that, I think, but I would need to find it.... have been looking for blueprints of the engine around the internet, in vain. If someone has any links to share, that would be awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

ok, I found some pictures... I should be fine. Looks like the one from VAG :Smile:

- - - Updated - - -

... but, on VAG, as far as I remember, you needed to calibrate the engine via diagnostics comp. Is that not the case with honda?

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

No need for that, the engine will sort itself out :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thank god for that Honda engineers are electronic robust as hell. Diesel equipped cars are based on german technology but still free from manual intervention..

11. Andraz3d Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone

I believe I need to update my status on my FR-V:

1. Clutch has been replaced. All three parts, and it is running smoothly now. Was far from cheap (round 300 euros for a clutch) and it took quite some work (round 4 hours). Not sure why, really.

2. Did clean gas chamber and EGR (together with clutch replacement) and I can report there are no REV drops anymore. I do suspect clutch had a bit to do with this as well (shifting to first gear from second caused car to jump a bit) since gas chamber and EGR were actually quite clean.

3. Hand brake was semi repaired. Works better, but I still cannot block rear wheels while driving. The guys at the repair shop said they needed to align the rear brake pads, but that obviously did not solve the problem completely. It is better though.

I am seeing the problem around so called soft painting. I never ever had a car with so many glaze chips on the painting. This is going to be a serious problem in 4 years or so...

I am also having troubles finding the exact key combinations for the DVD system I need to reset to accept the new navigation DVD. If you have any hints, they would be much obliged.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    As for the DVD what are you referring to the I-VES on the roof ?

13. Andraz3d Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

nope, I am referring to navigational part, so, on the dashboard. I know it takes DVDs, have multiple of them with mp3s on...

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The navigation DVD won't play mp3s and if you get an updated sat nav disc it will region correct.

15. Andraz3d Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

are you sure? It is true that currently I have only CDs with mp3s on and it reads them well, so switching to another media (DVD) should not really be a problem, unless honda deliberately prevents DVD mp3 reading...

anyhow, I just found out another problem... this honda is getting me headaches indeed. Air condition stops working after a hour or so of driving and working normally. This is especially annoying since we are getting 32 degrees lately and since I was at Honda service a few months ago where they re-checked the AC unit and even cleaned something (and charged for it, obviously)

16. Andraz3d Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all

I stand corrected, the thing on the center dash (navigation) does not read mp3. I was under the impression that it does due to my wife preparing CDs with music, but I was totally mistaken. Apologies.

On the other note, the problems with my FR-V don't seem to go away. I am seriously getting annoyed, the car so far has had more problems than my Ford Mondeo, the most problematic car I have ever had.

1. After clutch replacement the problems with REVs dropping below 500 went away for a while, but now, after 3k km they reappeared. Keep in mind, I also cleaned EGR. This is a very annoying problem, it is seriously affecting the smoothness of the ride. To recap the problem, when breaking, shifting to 1 gear, REVs drop below 500 and then go back to normal quickly enough not to shut down the engine, but the shake of it is quite noticeable.

2. It 's been 8000km since the service, so I have 7000 more until the next one, but the dashboard light is saying I need to top up oil. Come on, after 8000km already? It is true, I made 2600 km in 4 days, putting car through some serious german highway stress, but that in my book does not equal running out of oil in the middle of service cycle? At the same time I have to point out, car is not producing blue nor white smoke (white maybe, but hard to tell) nor does it leak in anyway. I seriously hope this is not expected behaveour for 1.8 i-VTEC.

3. Air con stopped working. Great. It was working for 30 minutes a day and then died, but now it is completely dead. Maintenance Service I did 4 months ago also cleaned air con and filled up new AC gas. :Messed:

on the other note, I have to point out that doing almost 3000km in 4 days was extremely stress free. Seats in FR-V are really good, so is wind noise (considering the box shape). Also fuel consumption was surprisingly good (7 l/100, AVG speed 120-130 kmh). I do have to say that I am quite disappointed by the brakes in general (I have new disks and pads, but it seems that FR-V is underengineered in this department) and BAS (or however Honda calls brake assistance) works way too aggressively.

17. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Regards the oil consumption, most manufactures state that 1 litre of oil consumption per 1000 miles is an acceptable level.

18. Andraz3d Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi there, this may be the case, but so far in my whole life, I never had a car with 1l/1000km consumption. That would bring my honda up to 15l/service interval. Sounds insane to me.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    On newer engines yes.

Higher oil consumption can be attributed to the wrong grade of oil . On older engines anything remotely to that oil consumption would be a concern.